Looking for an all black watch- Which material/coating is the MOST scratch resistant? DLC..Damast..
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for an all black watch- Which material/coating is the MOST scratch resistant? DLC..Damast..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Looking for an all black watch- Which material/coating is the MOST scratch resistant? DLC..Damast..

Hey guys,
    So I'm looking for an all black watch and I've actually had a few, but moved them on due to "risk of scratching them up" ... I've had somewhat expensive PVD coated watches and DLC watches. But due to the value of the watch, I found myself worrying too much about damaging them, so they all have moved on.
    So this is a two fold question.... First, which black coatings/process is the MOST scratch resistant? I'm interested in a satin black, not polished, so I'm assuming ceramic would be out. Damast layer on the Damasko watches? DLC coating? Any other process I'm not aware of?

Second part is, of the most durable/scratch resistant coatings/treatments, are there more moderately priced watches that have them (< $1000) ? It always seems that the ones with these better coatings tend to be in the upper price ranges.

I figure if I can find a watch that had a really durable flat/satin black coating that wasn't too expensive, I wouldn't let the fear of scratching or dinging it up ruin my enjoyment out of it. I really loved my old Breitling Blackbird Blacksteel, but was paranoid about damaging it up and that just ruined it for me.

I would really appreciate some opinions and experiences.

Thanks guys!

Christopher
    Last edited by Legmaker72; October 11th, 2012 at 12:39.
    Cheers,
    Christopher

Current
    :
    Omega Speedmaster - LE Apollo Soyuz
    Omega PO

No more watches for a while for me !

WnS

Re: Looking for an all black watch- Which material/coating is the MOST scratch resistant? DLC..Damas

They sure exist.

Ocean7 Meteor Ceramic

Meteor Titanium DLC

That's it, I'd recommend the Rado D Star, but that is polished black ceramic.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Re: Looking for an all black watch- Which material/coating is the MOST scratch resistant? DLC..Damas

As far as coating materials go; to the best of my knowledge DLC is the most scratch resistant; the finish is dependent on the finish of the underlying steel: polished/brushed/sand or bead blasted.

A coated watch where the steel is hardened prior to coating should be more scratch resistant than an unhardened steel with the same coating.

Another coating material that is highly regarded is cerakote but I don't think any manufacturers produce watches with this finish, it's an aftermarket custom coating available in lots of colours.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've had my eye on the Steinhart triton 100atm dlc for a while. It's around $500-600 euro depending on where you live. I've never had a dlc watch but the guys on the steinhart forum say it holds up well. Eta 2824 1000m water restant. Seems like a decent price for what you get if you like the look.

Cheers,

Jay

Citizen also has DLC and Duratect coating on of their titanium Promaster range which is fairly scratch resistant.

Sent from my other timekeeping device.
    Last edited by Citizen V; October 11th, 2012 at 15:52. Reason: TYPO - CURSE U AUTOCORRECT

There's always resin... a good quality carbon fiber or basalt fiber reinforced plastic resin should wear without showing the marks much, and they normally have a matte finish. And it's incredibly light.

Something like the Night Hawk (tritium tubes too), maybe:
    Name:  HAWK_DAY-160x259.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  24.4 KB

There's plenty of choice in watches with this kind of finish too: Luminox, Traser, Tawatec, Suunto, Casio, just to name the ones I can recall immediately.

From my limited experience with these kinds of coatings, PVD is the process and DLC or other coatings is the actual "paint". If a product is described as PVD'ed, it could be coated with anything. Out of those coatings, my understanding is DLC is the most scratch resistant.

To put all this in perspective, from the research I've done, 316L used in most watches has a hardess of approx. 220 vickers, a saphire crystal is approx. 2000 vickers, the tegimented case on Sinn watches approx. 2000 vickers and DLC between 2000-3000 vickers.

Jack at IWW has a PVD process that uses a DLC "like" coating. Supposedly it has a hardness of 4000 vickers. I believe the cost is $650 just for the case.

IMO unless you drop your DLC'ed watch it should remain scratch free.

My Sinn U1000S has hit all kinds of things (sides of rifles, aircraft bodies, corners of doorways/hallways, sand, dust, mud, etc...) and it doesn't have a scratch on it. I'm not as adventuous with my JLC, but expect a similar level of scratch resistance.

Hope this helps, Rob
    The body will never go, where the mind has never been.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko SBBN040 Golden Tuna, PAM 579, JLC MC Diving Chrono GMT NS, PAM 190 8-Days, Rolex DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa '07 T-Graph & 750T Carribean, Rolex TT DJ, RXW MM20

PVD has never been very impressive in my experience. The bracelet on my G-Shock is scratched to hell from my desk! Typically the cases seem to hold the coating better, my guess is because they don't get the rub the bracelets do.
    marchone likes this.

Cerakote is the best IMHO. Very scratch resistant. Had my personal weapons done up in it and now have a watch with the treatment.

Only downside is wait for watches (7+ months)....

And you can def get it in satin black.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Drop of a Hat; October 11th, 2012 at 18:28.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    Cerakote is the best IMHO. Very scratch resistant.
    +1. And the cool thing about Cerakote is you can have it applied to any watch, so if you find a watch you love but the manufacturer doesn't offer a black version, no problem. Get it and find someone who can apply Cerakote. That's what I did—here's a thread I created about the process.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f275/cu...ii-720807.html

Drop of a Hat — It's pretty funny we both replied to this as you replied to the thread I just referenced. At that time you had been waiting 18 weeks...ouch! Did you ever get your watch? If so, how about some pics? I'd love to see what you did.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information