Looking for a "dress" watch with particular specs
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Looking for a "dress" watch with particular specs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a "dress" watch with particular specs

Yes, I know, another what watch thread...

Budget is ~1500 USD, new or used. I have no proclivity towards the expensive, so good quality at a good price is preferred. I considered posting in the Affordables area, but traffic appears much slower there.

I'm looking for a "dress" watch with a specific feature set. There are a few things I want in the watch that are non-negotiable and a few that are preferred but are not deal-breakers. The watch will be to replace an Orient Vintage FFD0F004W0. I like this watch, but the proportions don't quite suit my taste. The 40mm case is an acceptable diameter, but the 12mm thickness and lug design make this particular watch somewhat of a hockey puck on my 7.5" wrist. The case is too thick and too small in diameter on my wrist. It looks chunky.

Please save the comments about how a dress watch should be 38mm or less. I'm looking for help identifying watch models that fit specific criteria, not help redefining my criteria.

Non-negotiable:
    -at least 40mm (without crown)
    -mechanical movement
    -white/silver/cream face, any guilloche pattern or such is fine as long as the dial is a light color
    -central seconds hand (no small seconds, please)
    -no chronographs
    -thin profile, don't have a specific thickness dimension in mind, just a slim profile, no hockey pucks
    -no gold/brass tones
    -good symmetry (no 4:30 date windows, no off-center power reserve indicators, etc.)

Preferred, but not deal-breakers:
    -42mm or 44mm diameter
    -blue hands
    -brown leather band with deployment clasp (can always swap to this, hence not a deal-breaker)
    -automatic
    -date complication, day/date is also OK
    -swiss made
    -sapphire crystal
    -no lume, or the less lume the better

I have been considering the Orient Bambino FER2400CN0, but wanted to see what else you all recommend. I have an Orient Bambino FER24004B0 that I wear as a black dress watch, so I'd rather branch out a little than just get another version of the Bambino to wear with brown belts/shoes.

Pictures are encouraged :)
    Last edited by SodiumMonkey; April 7th, 2015 at 02:30. Reason: updated wants

Re: Looking for a "dress" watch with particular specs

*None of these pics are mine

Topper Jewelers, a forum sponser, has a pre-owned section. They hava an Oris Artelier Date which checks off all your 'non-negotiables' and six of your 'preferreds'. FYI, I'm not affiliated with them at all but I do check out their site roughly twice a month.
    Name:  oris.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  62.8 KB

There's two from Hamilton to look at, the Spirit of Liberty Auto and the Intra-Matic Auto. They both check off all your 'non-negotiables' and seven of your 'preferreds', both under $1000.
    Name:  h42415551.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  67.5 KBName:  H38755751_7.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  72.1 KB

I'm a big proponent of the Tissot Le Locle (I owned one and sold it because it was a gift from a pshychotic ex). It's one of my two favorites on the list. Between the finish, guilloche dial and case back, it's great. You definately have to see it in person to get the full feel and look of the watch. Checks off all**(39.3mm diameter) your 'non-negotiables' and five of your 'preferreds'. FYI, those roman numberals are raised silver, not painted black. Well under $1000
    Name:  TissotLeLocle.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  1.65 MB

My next favorite on this list is the Tissot Visodate, which I own. Checks off all your 'non-negotiables' and six of your 'preferreds'. Well under $1000. This thing just spews vintage inspired class, I love it.
    Name:  Tissot_wrist.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  169.6 KB

To go off the beaten path, you can also look to the Stowa Marine A 10. Checks off all your 'non-negotiables' and seven of your 'preferreds'. Costs approximately $1200 USD (EUR 1.080,00).
    Name:  MarineSilberDatA10_LBschwar.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  71.3 KB

There's hundereds more you can look at, this is just a very quick list. I'm sure other members will be further inspired to give you choices which aren't seen every day.
    Last edited by various121; April 6th, 2015 at 18:42.
    "I only want to know people who are dynamic, intelligent and totally insane"

Thank you for the reply and suggestions! I sincerely appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by various121 View Post
    Topper Jewelers, a forum sponser, has a pre-owned section. They hava an Oris Artelier Date which checks off all your 'non-negotiables' and six of your 'preferreds'. FYI, I'm not affiliated with them at all but I do check out their site roughly twice a month.
    Name:  oris.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  62.8 KB
    I like the look of this watch quite a bit. I wish I could see one in person! Out of the options you posted, it is one of my two favorites. I love the pattern on the dial and the overall symmetry. The date function at 6 o'clock sits perfectly. I like all of the fonts as well. If this one had blue hands, it might be the one!

There's two from Hamilton to look at, the Spirit of Liberty Auto and the Intra-Matic Auto. They both check off all your 'non-negotiables' and seven of your 'preferreds', both under $1000.
    Name:  h42415551.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  67.5 KBName:  H38755751_7.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  72.1 KB
    These two don't really strike my fancy. Obviously these are just pictures, but the dials appear almost grey. I guess I'm really looking for either white or cream. Thank you for posting them as they have helped me narrow down exactly what I want a little. I don't care for the brass/gold indices and hands on the Spirit of Liberty. The Intra-matic has a little bit too modern and minimalist look for my taste. I guess I want something with a little more panache.

I'm a big proponent of the Tissot Le Locle (I owned one and sold it because it was a gift from a pshychotic ex). It's one of my two favorites on the list. Between the finish, guilloche dial and case back, it's great. You definately have to see it in person to get the full feel and look of the watch. Checks off all**(39.3mm diameter) your 'non-negotiables' and five of your 'preferreds'. FYI, those roman numberals are raised silver, not painted black. Well under $1000
    Name:  TissotLeLocle.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  1.65 MB
    This watch is a real looker for sure. This is my other favorite of the options you suggested, but it is under 40mm. I just don't want to go below 40mm. If this watch was say 42mm, it would be a winner for me!

My next favorite on this list is the Tissot Visodate, which I own. Checks off all your 'non-negotiables' and six of your 'preferreds'. Well under $1000. This thing just spews vintage inspired class, I love it.
    Name:  Tissot_wrist.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  169.6 KB
    The Visodate is actually a choice that I have looked at many times. I just can't get over the hand length on the Visodate. Nitpicky, I know, but I just wish the minute hand reached the minute marks and the hour hand reached the hour indices.

To go off the beaten path, you can also look to the Stowa Marine A 10. Checks off all your 'non-negotiables' and seven of your 'preferreds'. Costs approximately $1200 USD (EUR 1.080,00).
    Name:  MarineSilberDatA10_LBschwar.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  71.3 KB
    I'm not familiar with this model, but have seen quite a few Stowas around the forum. There is something a little too utilitarian about the Arabic numerals all the way around the dial and the triangle above the 12. It almost looks like it has military ancestry. It doesn't have the dressy look I am wanting. I'm not opposed to Arabic numerals, but something about them on this dial conflicts with the look I am trying to find. Perhaps if they were only at 12, 3, 6, and 9?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mido Baroncelli II Power Reserve - I believe it hits everything on your list with the exception of blue hands, but it is a little more expensive:

Name:  M8605.4.11.8.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  45.5 KB
    SodiumMonkey and rfortson like this.

Here's two I like both from ball watch company

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  237.5 KBThe Ball Racer Classic.

Views: 251
Size:  222.7 KBThe Ball Trainmaster Classic.
    SodiumMonkey likes this.

This is the third time today I've thrown this suggestion out, but I swear I don't work for Archimede....

Archimede Klassic, available in several sizes, colors and strap versions. Well under budget ($700 range)...
    Attached Images Attached Images

SodiumMonkey and socrates35 like this.

Another option that comes in way under budget ($400 range) is the Boschett Legacy. It's a Miyota movement, but it is 42mm x 10mm....
    Attached Images Attached Images

SodiumMonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by steadywaters View Post
    Mido Baroncelli II Power Reserve - I believe it hits everything on your list with the exception of blue hands, but it is a little more expensive:

Name:  M8605.4.11.8.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  45.5 KB
    Thank you for this suggestion. This one doesn't really tickle my fancy, but it was helpful because it made me realize another "non-negotiable." Good symmetry is a definite must have have for me. That power reserve indicator throws off the otherwise great aesthetic of this watch for me. I have added this to my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Norms76 View Post
    Here's two I like both from ball watch company

Views: 256
Size:  237.5 KBThe Ball Racer Classic.

Views: 251
Size:  222.7 KBThe Ball Trainmaster Classic.
    Thank you! The first one made me realize that I don't care for the gold-toned elements in general. I added that specific to the original post. The second piece sort of falls into the same camp as the Hamilton Intra-matic for me. The dial is a little too close to grey for what I have in mind. I also realized from your post that the 4:30 date window doesn't do it for me. So thank you again. Those suggestions, though not what I am ultimately looking for, were both quite helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    Archimede Klassic, available in several sizes, colors and strap versions. Well under budget ($700 range).

Another option that comes in way under budget ($400 range) is the Boschett Legacy. It's a Miyota movement, but it is 42mm x 10mm....
    I really like both the Archimede Klassic with and without the guilloche dial. I like them both so much that I cannot decide which I prefer! This somewhat reminds me of something Hamilton would produce, but I like the styling a little better than any of their similar options. This is a definite contender and perhaps the leader in the clubhouse now!

Boschett is a brand that I was previously unaware of so thank you for that suggestion as well. This is another piece that I wish I could see in person. I cannot decide if the coin edge textured bezel is something I would enjoy in person or not. The brown dial version is also very intriguing. This may be something I will keep my eyes open for in the used market. That way I wouldn't risk taking a big hit if I end up not liking and selling.

Thanks again to everyone that has offered their assistance. I appreciate you all!
    Last edited by SodiumMonkey; April 7th, 2015 at 03:09.

Anyone else have any suggestions? Thank you again to those that have already posted. You have all been very helpful!

Boom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information