WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Looking for everyday wear chronograph

5K views 39 replies 29 participants last post by  LikeClockWork 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first post but I have been a lurker here for the last three months. This forum and other websites has been extremely informative on purchase of my first real watch: JLC MUT Moon 39. I love the watch and all but I kind of look ridiculous wearing it casually. I split my time between office and field work and chronograph function will be heavily used for work. Budget is around $10,000USD. I already considered JLC's own chronograph but I don't want to be stuck on one brand. My preferences for it to be stealthy enough but for others to not expect it to be worth $10k and case to be made of titanium (but it doesn't HAVE to be titanium). Being stealthy rules out brands like: Rolex, Omega, and Breitling. Watch should be preferably between 36mm-40mm but I can deal with anything up to 42mm.

Thanks in advance for any guidance any of you can provide.

#4 ·
VC Overseas Chronograph / AP RO Chronograph for roughly ~12k.
I assume you are talking used since that is the price for the three hander OS and RO, the chronos new are in the $17k range.

The IWC Portofino and Portuguese are nice but both on the large end of your spectrum and steel.

I can't recall any titanium chronos at that price range but I am sure they exist.

#18 ·
I would second the Zenith. If you want to pay up a little more, look at the Omega Speedmaster Dark Side of the Moon.

#28 · (Edited)
For a field watch, the IWC Aquatimer is one of the best of all time, up there with the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms which many regard as the greatest field chronograph of all time (Air Command, a bit smaller, is also nice). I've owned both. The FF has a much finer movement and low light readability of the chronograph subdials is better. IWC timing bezel is a fabulous design. Both are magnificent and both can be had for under budget, pre owned. I just sold my Fifty Fathoms for $8,500.

#29 ·
My picks apart from the usual suspects would be -

A Chopard Chrono One ...

Or, a Blancpain F185 powered chronograph ...

(both images borrowed)

#31 ·
Get a Habring2 split seconds chronograph and youi will own a very special chronograph made with knowledge and a heart. Almost unique, if not, very exclusive

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Habring produces 50 watches per year tand each model is only produced to a maximum of 12 pieces per year.

#32 ·
I didn't really want get in to used or vintage watches until I became more experience WIS but used AP Royal Oak chronographs are calling out to me.

So my contenders are:

Royal Oak (black dial)
IWC
Zenith
and JLC (even though I already have another JLC)

Thing about IWC, I heard they are trying to move toward their in-house movements. Any guess on when their chronograph will be updated with their in-house movement? Yes I'm aware of the Classic Chronograph with price approaching that of AP. For that kind of money, I'll just get the AP.

#36 ·
I've got chronographs from JLC, Chopard, Blancpain, Rolex, Zenith, Omega, Credor and a bunch of other makers. Personally out of what I own as a titanium daily wear field watch used regularly for timing I'd wear my Tutima Titanium Military. The central minute totalizer is functionally superior to sub dial totalizers in my experience.

The only requirement it may fail to meet is the $10K budget in so far as it is substantially less expensive than $10K. Getting a military issued watch might make for a more esoteric time piece, but I don't think any military organizations ever issued the Titanium versions of these watches. Sinn makes some watches based off the Lemania 5100 and Fortis used to make watches based off this movement, and it might be worthwhile looking at what is available from these makers too.

#37 ·
I can see the IWC Portugieser Chronograph Automatic being suitable for daily wear. It is very comfortable, and dresses up or down very nicely.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.