Looking for first automatic, Swiss vs Japanese?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for first automatic, Swiss vs Japanese?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for first automatic, Swiss vs Japanese?

Hey guys I'm new here. I used to have an Citizen eco-drive but it was stolen a few months back :( I wasn't really into watches then, but now
    wanting to get a new watch I've been looking up a little on watches.

I think automatics seem really cool and I am looking to get one. My price range is in the $500 area. I've always been told that
    Swiss watches are the best but doing some research I found that some of the Japenese watches like Seiko and Orient seem good for the price.

What are you guys opinions on this?

Re: Looking for first automatic, Swiss vs Japanese?

Quote Originally Posted by the night watchman View Post
    Hey guys I'm new here. I used to have an Citizen eco-drive but it was stolen a few months back :( I wasn't really into watches then, but now
    wanting to get a new watch I've been looking up a little on watches.

I think automatics seem really cool and I am looking to get one. My price range is in the $500 area. I've always been told that
    Swiss watches are the best but doing some research I found that some of the Japenese watches like Seiko and Orient seem good for the price.

What are you guys opinions on this?
    No to confuse you too much but there are some great watches with Russian movements as well, that full under your price range [Vostok-Europe]. They are basic automatic 3 hand+date watches with a modern chunky style....

As far as whats better, it all depends on the movement maker, and the person you are asking. Miyota movements are made by Citizen, they are generally very reliable and have a nice long life, though some models are missing features some like. Watches with Miyota movements can generally be found for a good price, ask around there are certain brands/models that are favored.

Getting into Swiss stuff the big supplier right now is ETA...they have become the standard due to their hold on the market, and their quality...in 2010 ETA will stop supplying movement blanks to most of the industry [except the brands related to them]...prices may be closer to $500 with an ETA movement watch. The other Swiss power house for automatics is Sellita...I would say they rank right up with ETA as far as build quality and reliability. The general feeling is that Sellita will do what they can to pick up the slack when ETA stops selling to watch manufacturers.

What type of watch are you looking for?

Hope that helps...any questions, fire away!
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

There are watches with Seiko 6R15 movements in your price range too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They are both good. The Japanese seem to be as good as anybody at making just about anything.

Thanks for the help guys, especially for explaining the Swiss movements. I guess I'm really looking for a casual watch that can be dressy too when necessary. I guess I have a lot more looking around to do...

Does anybody have any personal favorites in the category I'm looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by the night watchman View Post
    Thanks for the help guys, especially for explaining the Swiss movements. I guess I'm really looking for a casual watch that can be dressy too when necessary. I guess I have a lot more looking around to do...

Does anybody have any personal favorites in the category I'm looking for?
    I am a big fan of Hamilton watches. I love my Khaki Field Automatic Chronograph. I am wearing it with jeans today, but have used it on a metal band with a suit before.

hmm.. i would choose Swiss..

but it seems a little bit hard to have automatic movement made by Swiss under your price range...

i don't know,altough i own some Seiko automatic movements, there's much different feeling with Swiss made..

Check out the Hamilton Khaki line, you can get an automatic for under $400.

You can also get a Seiko 5 for $100+_ $10, good, rugged watch,but not as accurate out of the box as an Hamilton.

Last edited by twblalock; April 14th, 2009 at 09:36.

If u are just into automatic, get Japanese! Cos they are value for money compare to swiss counterpart for automatic

If u are into automatic chronograph. No doubt get swiss. Cos they are virtually no competition around. The valjoux 7750 is a technical marvel. U will be amass by how such chrono plus accurate time keeping can be combine together with such sweet moment.
    Last edited by GMT-II; January 20th, 2009 at 17:29.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information