Looking for a GMT

Thread: Looking for a GMT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a GMT

I have been researching GMTs that last few days and I'd be interested in member's opinions about user friendly GMTs that combine the right mix of design, form, function, and value into one package. Three I like so far:

IWC Spitfire UTC
    Omega DeVille Chronoscope GMT
    JLC Master Hometime
    Mike Parker

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Looking for a GMT

Ulysse Nardin Watches Michelangelo UTC Dual Time

Not that costly: Sinn 756 UTC , Tutima FX UTC
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Without sounding rude, I suggest you comb the forums using the search. I am in the same boat (GMT) although with a little different take on things.

See if anything useful is in there for you:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/help...00-426870.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f9/what...ys-449377.html

Good luck - it is a fun hunt, the GMT one
    The 1st Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - No Help.
    The 2nd Rule of WUS Club is: No Pictures - It Didn't Happen.
    The 3rd Rule of WUS Club is: Read the rules on top of the page.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mparker View Post
    I have been researching GMTs that last few days and I'd be interested in member's opinions about user friendly GMTs that combine the right mix of design, form, function, and value into one package. Three I like so far:

IWC Spitfire UTC
    Omega DeVille Chronoscope GMT
    JLC Master Hometime
    All are certainly fine watches. If you are looking for a GMT watch then the Omega strikes me as being primarily a chronograph and secondarily a GMT watch.

I'm not clear on the functionality that you are looking for in a GMT watch.
    If you plan on using it to track local and home timezones while travelling you might want to consider how the GMT function is designed. I've found that being able to adjust the 12 hour hand (and date at 24 hours) independently of the 24 hour hand/wheel is preferable to having the 24 hour indicator being adjustable. With one quick adjustment local time can be set to New York, London, Rome, Moscow, etc., 12 hour time without disturbing other hands.

if you want the best of breed in gmt watches consider the ulysse nardin interpretation of a gmt watch. user friendly, and imo pleasing to the eye. as stated by john ms the 12 hour hand is adjusted by pressing the +/- buttons on the 9 side of the case while the time remains undisturbed; there is no need to touch the crown to adjust the gmt hand. take it from a fool, it's fool-proof

michelangelo

big date gmt

not certain if these would be considered a big value but man are they simple to use
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

v76

If price isn't a constraint, Seiko SBGM001 (Grand Seiko GMT automatic):

(borrowed image)

UN Big Date GMT (Devon's), Rolex Explorer II, your options and lots of ETA 2893-2 counterparts are all good choices.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

I got myself a 2234 Omega Seamaster GMT. Picked this over an Explorer II for looks, ease of use, readability and value.
    I prefer turning the bezel to turning a hand. I can practically read this from across the room.

Last edited by mrsnak; September 29th, 2010 at 01:02.
    "My grail showed up today"

Sinn 356UTC also has optional display back.

If you like divers: Sinn U2, Zinex Trimix

+1 for the Seamaster.

DMB
    Banned

Most of the GMT's I've owned are modifed day/date complications, whereas the GMT hand is slaved to what was the "day" complication. It can be independently set and has a quick date set function. The Omegas and Rolex GMT IIs have a different setup. The 12 hour hand can be adjusted in 1 hour increments and there is no quick set date function. This can be good or bad depending on what you want to get out of your GMT. When you adjust the 12 hour hand, the seconds hand is still running so you don't have to re-hack it. If you want to set the GMT hand separate from the hour hand, you have to move all the hands in conjunction with each other (like any other watch) until the GMT hand reaches the desired mark, then reset the hour hand to local time. Now you have 2 timezones. If you have a turning 24hr bezel, you can turn it and read a third timezone against the GMT hand. The previous GMT functions work the same, except you quick adjust the GMT hand instead of the hour hand, and there is a quick set date function. The good thing about the Rolex/Omega GMT is that you can move the date buy rotating the hour hand, and you can do it forward and backward of the midnight hour unlike the other where you should not quickset the date between certain hours. Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by DMB; September 29th, 2010 at 01:25.

good to see you back!! i was just thinking about your two boys and your rolex gmts.

this is where the un interpretation of the gmt shines. the date quick sets and pressing the +/- buttons advances the 12hour hand and the crown is never touched while the date can be set in both directions.

best of luck to the op in whatever you decide.
    Last edited by novedl; September 29th, 2010 at 02:02.
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information