Looking for ideas and advices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gouverneur

Thread: Looking for ideas and advices

Question Looking for ideas and advices

Hi guys,

I am looking for my next purchase. I am relatively big, with wrists that are 7,7", so it has to be a big watch. It is going to a supplement my Planet Ocean XL, Panerai 177 and Breitling Steelfish X-Plus.

Originally I planned to buy a AP Diver, but this is not going happen right now because of financial reasons. I also have looked at picture of AP RO 15400, but I am not sure... For now IWC Mission Earth (the non-Plastiki version) on rubber is on top of my list, but I would like some alternatives, just to be sure.

The price range is MAX USD 10,000.

NB! It would be great, if you could post pictures.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sociologen; August 26th, 2012 at 14:29.

Re: Looking for ideas and advices

Is 44mm big enough? Deep sea sea dweller?

Name:  deepsea1.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  69.8 KB

Obvoius. Thanks. However, I am not fond of the IMO too narrow bracelet, nor of the high case. It makes the watch look asymetrical, I think.
    ▪ Panerai 305 ▪ Rolex DeepSea ▪ Omega Planet Ocean ▪ Casio G-Shock Riseman ▪

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you want big, there's the obvious U-Boat. Or you can look at Sisu.

U-Boat Watches - Watchismo is an Authorized Dealer
    SISU Watches - The Coolest Watches from Watchismo.com

(And sorry about the lack of pics - I'm on my iPad and it's kinda tricky to post pics from it. Besides, I own neither watch and would just be copying and pasting from the web.)
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

I should have stressed that I am looking for a watch that is "more high end" than the ones I already own. And U-Boat + Sisu are not, I believe (please correct me if I am wrong).

BTW: It is very easy to post pictures using iPad or iPhone. Just use Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Sociologen; August 26th, 2012 at 16:01.

The $10,000 budget, believe it or not, might actually make this goal a little difficult.

Given that Planet Oceans and Panerais are now $6k watches, there aren't that many brands clearly recognized as "higher end" while being below $10k. A few brands with more prestige start with basic models around $8K and then move far on up, but the heavy hitters like AP, PP, etc. don't dip below the $12-14k mark at all.

With all that being said, my recommendation would be the new JLC Deep Sea Chronograph. If you can get over the "small" size of 42mm, which is a standard dive watch, you'll pick up a chronograph from one of the most storied watchmakers in history (and one that is "more high end" than Omega or Panerai). It's also a damn good-looking watch to boot. Its suggested retail is a hair under $11,000, so you should definitely be able to find an AD who will be willing to give you a 10-15% haircut to get you under the $10k mark.

Name:  Deep-Sea-Chronographe-diving-6-copyright-Emmanuel-Donhut-Balao.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  275.4 KB

Name:  Jaeger-LeCoultre_Deep_Sea_Chronograph-copy-4.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  450.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sociologen View Post
    I should have stressed that I am looking for a watch that is "more high end" than the ones I already own. And U-Boat + Sisu are not, I believe (please correct me if I am wrong).

BTW: It is very easy to post pictures using iPad or iPhone. Just use Tapatalk.
    Last edited by gouverneur; August 26th, 2012 at 17:29.
    keila likes this.

You're probably right, since I have problems finding a watch - that I want - in the price range USD 10,000. Of course, I could wait half an year and then add a more $$$, but I am afraid that I will not use a watch that is "too" expensive, because I don't want to scratch it...

I will have a look at the JLC... But for now I think that the IWC Mission Earth is still my favourite.

Have a great Sunday.

I ended up buying a NBIB Panerai 305 from an AD.

Thread Information