Looking for insight into the Locman "1970"

Thread: Looking for insight into the Locman "1970"

Looking for insight into the Locman "1970"

Hi all.

I picked up a red dial Locman "1970" on ebay today.

(All photos pulled from seller bidfortime.)

The seller description says it has an ETA 2824 movement. The watch itself references a Swiss movement on several occasions.

In my research on Locmans (Locmen?), I noticed most of the movements in 1970s and other Locman models were either quartz or Miyota automatics.

If any one knows any history about movements in Locman 1970s, sharing any insight whether a batch of 1970s was made with ETAs would be greatly appreciated. Even "bad news" is welcome. Not that I find this likely, but if you feel/know that all the references to a Swiss movement are dubious, then please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

ECU
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; November 21st, 2009 at 10:09.
    BALL Trainmaster Cleveland Express
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3510.21
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    BREITLING Navitimer A13322
    FORTIS B42 Flieger Day/Date
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970
    BALL Engineer II Moon Glow

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    OMEGA Speedmaster 3506.61.00
    BREITLING Sprint
    BENARUS Moray 4 - Model B

Re: Looking for insight into the Locman "1970"

Ive got a Locman. They are pretty much fashion watches. Some are interesting, but dont expect too much. Ive got no clue whats in the 1970 though.

stuffler,mike

It is an ETA 2824-2, Locman has some swiss automatic movements in their collection. An italian fashion brand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    It is an ETA 2824-2, Locman has some swiss automatic movements in their collection. An italian fashion brand.
    Thanks Mike - and thanks for converting the links to pix.
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    BREITLING Sprint

Hi there, I am also bidding for the same watch (black face) from the same seller on ebay. [Bidfortime] told me that he has sold another black faced 1970 before, mentioned nothing about this red one.

How do you feel about the watch so far? Do you think it is a cause of concern that the seller seems to have a mysterious supply of 1970s selling one after another?

Thanks alot.
    Cn

Quote Originally Posted by ecunited View Post
    Hi all.

I picked up a red dial Locman "1970" on ebay today.

(All photos pulled from seller bidfortime.)

The seller description says it has an ETA 2824 movement. The watch itself references a Swiss movement on several occasions.

In my research on Locmans (Locmen?), I noticed most of the movements in 1970s and other Locman models were either quartz or Miyota automatics.

If any one knows any history about movements in Locman 1970s, sharing any insight whether a batch of 1970s was made with ETAs would be greatly appreciated. Even "bad news" is welcome. Not that I find this likely, but if you feel/know that all the references to a Swiss movement are dubious, then please let me know.

Thanks a lot.

ECU

Quote Originally Posted by hugoend View Post
    Hi there, I am also bidding for the same watch (black face) from the same seller on ebay. [Bidfortime] told me that he has sold another black faced 1970 before, mentioned nothing about this red one.

How do you feel about the watch so far? Do you think it is a cause of concern that the seller seems to have a mysterious supply of 1970s selling one after another?

Thanks alot.
    Cn
    Hey there. I'm wearing it as we "speak". I really dig the watch. Here's some insight for you:

The pluses:
    I love the way it looks - I've been looking for a somewhat dressy red watch to flesh out my collection and this fit the bill perfectly.

It also wears appropriately large - wears bigger than 39mm. Even though there's a lot of "bezel" which typically makes watches look smaller, it's chunky and tall (15mm).

I don't profess to know a lot about movements, but it's an ETA and so far it seems pretty accurate and the second hand sweep is nice and smooth.

The minuses
    - The strap is like pleather. Not a huge deal in the short term, but it does detract from the dressiness a little bit. I'll probably switch out, either to a croc-stamped black leather (which might be too thin/delicate) or sportier black leather (red stitching?).

- The crystal is very domed so there is oftentimes glare when looking at the watch. This also slightly detracts from the overall dressiness.

- I personally love the yellow and white hands, but I could see some one thinking they're a bit plastic-y (not sure if they are actually plastic, they just have that look.) Again, this doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Would be happy to answer any other questions. Good luck!
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian
    BREITLING Sprint

Hey... thanks for the reply. I did not realize I do not get a notification when i receive a new message.

So i won the bid and am looking forward to receiving it in the mail! The 1970 really reminds me of a panerai but think that will have to wait till my pockets get deeper.

Yea i have the same feeling about the straps as well and am looking to get them swapped out to these kinds below (see link). In fact these straps were the ones i saw in a store which made me question those with the leather straps. Guess I will have to wait and tell!

http://watchluxus.com/ajax/thumb.php?id=12131

nice collection yop have there. : )
    [IMG]chrome://dictionarytip/skin/book.png[/IMG]

btw, since you are an avid collector, do you know if there are any professional services out there to help authenticate watches? thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hugoend View Post
    btw, since you are an avid collector, do you know if there are any professional services out there to help authenticate watches? thanks!
    Hey Hugo -

First off - congrats on the Locman!

While it may appear that I'm avid, I am certainly not seasoned - I got my first watch 4 or 5 months ago.

If you ask this question in a new thread in the public forum you're sure to get a better response (as you and I are the only ones reading this thread any more).
    ANONIMO Cronoscopio
    LACO Pilot B Miyota
    SEA-GULL 1963 Re-issue
    ANONIMO D-Date
    LOCMAN 1970

ANONIMO DINO ZEI Narvalo
    VOSTOK Amphibian