Looking for my analogue solar powered Grail...

Thread: Looking for my analogue solar powered Grail...

Looking for my analogue solar powered Grail...

Hi all,

Still pursuing my wrist watch Grail, maybe you know a model that I haven't seen and will be able to help me with your suggestions.

My criteria:
    * analogue
    * solar powered
    * waterproof min 100 m (so I don't have to take it off when taking shower, swimming etc, no diving)
    * black (or blackish) case & dial
    * day & date
    * lighting enabling easy reading in darkness (EL, LED, tritium, good lume, whatever)

These are my 'iron', non-negotiable criteria -- please only suggest models that meet them.

Additionally, it would be great if it had:
    * radio control in Europe
    * pilot/military/field style

To give you an idea about what I'm looking for and what I've looked at:
    - G-Shock AWG-101A -- currently own one, OK but looking for something without digital displays, preferrably slimmer too
    - Seiko SNZG17K1 -- currently own one, perfect look and feel but it's automatic :(
    - G-Shock GS-1300B -- lume doesn't convince me
    - G-Shock GW-2000B -- as above
    - CWC SBS -- I'm not really a diver guy but this one appeals to me somehow, no solar though
    - Momentum Shadow II -- as above
    - Citizen BM8475-00E -- probably ideal but vanished from the market, not available anywhere :( (not interested in its sister 00X)
    - Citizen BL8097-52E -- shines like... whatever, much too shiny
    - Attesas ATD53-2943 and 3002 -- haven't seen them but suppose they would be just as shiny as the above one
    - Promasters -- don't appeal to me, dials seem 'clogged'
    - Alternas VO10-3831T, VO10-6833T and VO10-6832T -- don't like the blue one, love the orange one but with my vision I might have problems reading it, the white one's case isn't black unfortunately…
    - today I found Seiko SNE097P1 -- will try and find it locally so I can have a real look at it but I suspect it's a bit on the shiny side, too

I know, I know, I'm terrible with this pickiness... Still, maybe someone knows of something that'll suit me -- any comments and suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
    "Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know..." (Prince Ludwig the Indestructible)

Re: Looking for my analogue solar powered Grail...

Radio controlled, analog and solar powered......the road takes to to Citizen IMHO.
    Try Long Island watches, Roachman, etc.
    Now, most of this will have a busy dial, you might have to reach a compromise with yourself.

Happy hunting!
    "I AM WATCHYMAN, AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE"

Casio GW5000 all day long.

"My grail showed up today"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchyman View Post
    Radio controlled, analog and solar powered......the road takes to to Citizen IMHO.
    Try Long Island watches, Roachman, etc.
    Now, most of this will have a busy dial, you might have to reach a compromise with yourself.

Happy hunting!
    Gonna be hard with how stubborn I am. ;)

One that I absolutely love but forgot to add in my earlier post is PMD56-2952 -- I'd go for it instantly if only it was available in black, even though its RC is Japan-only.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    Casio GW5000 all day long.
    Yup, quite a G winner for those who dig the design. I don't, to be honest, and I'm afraid its lume would be likely to disappoint me, too.
    "Evil plots don't just make themselves, you know..." (Prince Ludwig the Indestructible)

Got my VO10-6842T yesterday. :D

Name:  002rij.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  26.1 KB

Handsome as this watch is, I don't think I've found my Grail. I absolutely love the day of the week subdial. The date subdial, in turn, takes too much time for me to read -- might be just a matter of getting used to it, though. While earlier I didn't see much point in a 24 hour sub that just follows the main dial, it doesn't actually bother me at all now, just a funny addition to have. What makes me hesitant about keeping this watch for good is the shininess of the two subdials' steel rims and the steel base in hour markers... Giving it a month or so, then I'll decide whether it stays or goes. :)

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post

Yup, quite a G winner for those who dig the design. I don't, to be honest, and I'm afraid its lume would be likely to disappoint me, too.
    Oh really?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rodia77 View Post
    Got my VO10-6842T yesterday. :D

Name:  002rij.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  26.1 KB

Handsome as this watch is, I don't think I've found my Grail. I absolutely love the day of the week subdial. The date subdial, in turn, takes too much time for me to read -- might be just a matter of getting used to it, though. While earlier I didn't see much point in a 24 hour sub that just follows the main dial, it doesn't actually bother me at all now, just a funny addition to have. What makes me hesitant about keeping this watch for good is the shininess of the two subdials' steel rims and the steel base in hour markers... Giving it a month or so, then I'll decide whether it stays or goes. :)
    These Citizens are great bang for your buck. This one works well in both sport and dressier situations.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsnak View Post
    Oh really?
    Really -- yesterday I compared my G's lume with the new arrival and G got left light years behind, sadly.

Look at the Casio PAW 5000

A small update -- as I suspected before, I'll let that Citizen go.

Here's what I received today:

First impression: shiny! Too shiny! (I know, you wouldn't tell that from my pic :D). The bezel is a little bit oversized and makes it look bigger on the wrist. Lume didn't really impress me, nothing compared to my Eco-Drives or even SNZG17K1 -- I'll watch it for a few days now to see how my eyes react to it in different lighting, but for now it's more like in my G's. Which would piss me off, as poor lume was the reason why I didn't go for a G, Oceanus or some other Wave Ceptor more in my style. Am I happy with this watch? Yes! Am I on my knees? No! :D

Thread Information