Looking for my first nice watch

Thread: Looking for my first nice watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Looking for my first nice watch

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here and I'm also quite new to the world of watches. I'm looking for my first nice watch and would like some advices. I have 2 quartz watches, 1 mechanical and I am looking to had another one, my first "expensive one". I've done some research and I think I know what I want, here's what I'm looking for:

-A watch no larger than 42mm (between 38 and 42).
    -A see through case back to see the mechanism (or a skeleton watch but I think this is more expensive).
    -I would like one that runs at 28000bph, my other mechanical runs at 21XXX so I would really like one that runs more smoothly.
    -The date would be a nice addition but is not required.
    -A sapphire crystal.
    -And finally a watch less than 800$.

So far I've my eyes on the Hamilton khaki field, the Swiss Army airboss and the Tissot PRS516. Do you know other watches that would fit these specs?
    Thanks!

Re: Looking for my first nice watch

Might I suggest Archimede? They have a superb reputation, and the "Flieger" Pilot at 42mm is a classic. I'm wearing mine at the moment It has the sapphire crystal and display back.

The best part is that you don't even have to spend $800; its around $400. Of course, if you can extend the budget by $75 or so, they have a chronograph that is fabulous.

Perhaps an even better option would be to scrounge up another $200 bucks and get a Stowa Marine Original. Visit the Stowa forum on this site. Its an amazing watch for the money. Manual wind, decorated, impecable quality for the money. I can't belive I don't have one. Seriously. They sell out as fast as they're made, so you would need to get in line for May delivery now. Well worth the wait.

I really like the Archimede Outdoor - Trekking Titanium, it looks like a nice watch watch at a really reasonable price. I actually didn't know that company existed.
    The stowa marine is also a very nice watch, more expensive though.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by thestumper View Post
    Might I suggest Archimede? They have a superb reputation, and the "Flieger" Pilot at 42mm is a classic. I'm wearing mine at the moment It has the sapphire crystal and display back.

The best part is that you don't even have to spend $800; its around $400. Of course, if you can extend the budget by $75 or so, they have a chronograph that is fabulous.

Perhaps an even better option would be to scrounge up another $200 bucks and get a Stowa Marine Original. Visit the Stowa forum on this site. Its an amazing watch for the money. Manual wind, decorated, impecable quality for the money. I can't belive I don't have one. Seriously. They sell out as fast as they're made, so you would need to get in line for May delivery now. Well worth the wait.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Regarding german watches:
    The price-performance-ratio of Archimede watches is incredible. The Flieger and the Arcadia are very interesting. The Stowa Marine Automatic would be beating the Arcadia for sure which would do the Stowa Flieger as well. Fell free to read my reviews on both watches - the Stowa Flieger and the Stowa Marine Auto in our review subforum. You may also read my review on the Limes Klassik Vintage 1924. Archimede is a horse frome the same stable - Ickler company.

A 2nd hand NOMOS would also be a great watch regarding your price limit.

Regarding swiss watches:

Hamilton, Oris, Glycine are also brand to consider.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; April 27th, 2007 at 16:50.

Mike, did you mean that when choosing Pilots, the Archimede Pilots is a better watch than Stowa's pilot, but, in the other category, Stowa's Marine is "better" than Archimede's Arcadia?

I'm really interested by the Archimede Outdoor titatium, but unfortunetly I can't find much information about it. I've found a lot of review of their Pilot serie, and all of them are quite positive but only one about a outdoor sport. Does anyone have any experience to share about the outdoor serie?
    Last edited by Jeanpion; April 27th, 2007 at 16:57.

Perhaps an Oris Big Crown series or Williams F1 (discounted) on the higher end of the budget.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Net Dweller View Post
    Mike, did you mean that when choosing Pilots, the Archimede Pilots is a better watch than Stowa's pilot, but, in the other category, Stowa's Marine is "better" than Archimede's Arcadia?
    NO. The Stowa is superior to the Archimede. But both are playing in another price category. Regarding the category Archimede is plaing in it offers the best price-performance-ratio.

Regarding Stowa Marine vs. Archimede Arcadia. Same difference (price league), the Arcadia doesn't intent to be (and in fact isn't) a homage of a deck watch. Furhtermore I'd say that the ETA 2824-2 in the MO is another grade as the ETA 2824-2 which fits the Arcadia.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanpion View Post
    I'm really interested by the Archimede Outdoor titatium, but unfortunetly I can't find much information about it. I've found a lot of review of their Pilot serie, and all of them are quite positive but only one about a outdoor sport. Can anyone have any experience to share about the outdoor serie?
    What you've already read on Archimede must be valid for the Outdoor too. Case is made inhouse, fitted with a swiss movement. All made in the quality we know from the pilot s watches. The only difference I see is that the Outdoor isn't that wide spread as the Flieger is. Same with the Archimede diver's.

Well, I finally made a decision this weekend and ordered the Archimede Trekking Titanium online on Archimede's website. Now comes the waiting part... but...

Searching the web for other information on the Archimede trekking I could have missed this morning, I've found on timezone a couple of post about people complaining that the Archimede Trekking they received was different from the one shown on their website.
    Found on timezone: "I was also a bit disappointed to find that the style of the watch was a little different than the pic on the manufacturer's website (the one I received had different lugs and a crown guard)."
    This is not good news and I must admit that I am a bit afraid to find out that the watch I will receive won't be the one I ordered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information