Looking for my ultimate watch - help
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Looking for my ultimate watch - help

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I have bought a few watches here and there and I love each one. Over time, wearing these watches, reading about others, and seeing others around, I have learned that what I really appreciate in a watch boils down to three things:

1. Beauty

A watch that is beautiful to look at and is a work of art on the wrist.
    What makes a watch beautiful? Well, unlike my other categories, this one is the hardest to define as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's subjective. But to me, a beautiful watch is one of detail, impeccable finish, a liberal flash of colour (wether it be gold coloured gears, gold itself, rubies in the movement, or just a flashy bezel), and not afraid to draw the eye. Generally, to give everyone an idea of my thinking here, I do not consider Rolex to be beautiful, as they are very conservative in their design. Artistically, Rolex are the embodiment of refined function, a great looking watch, but it looks like a watch.

My one example of beauty:
    Attachment 979507

Cons: I'd be scared to even wear it in the shower, and that speaks volumes.

2. Durability

The one true watch, the watch that is the be all and end all, needs to be worn in all conditions without worrying it'll explode into a thousand pieces. My expectations for a truly durable watch is one that can survive at least 500 metres of water, resistant to magnetisation, can withstand a good amount of shock, and resistant to extreme temperatures. I own a PO 8500 and it's great and all, but it flipped out after a few weeks of gym time where I really upped my cardio workout, gaining minutes in a day instead of the 15 seconds it gained the previous 4 months (it's back to normal now, I don't take it to the gym with me anymore and instead wear my quartz Tag Heuer).

My one example of a durable watch:
    Attachment 979509

Cons: Like just about everything Sinn make, it's damn ugly.

3. Legibility

Being able to read the time under any conditions is probably the thing I value the most. It's such a simple thing but over the years it's the one aspect that I've come to love. Wake up at 4am in pitch dark and, without having to rub my eyes, read the time. Being able to quickly glance at my wrist in the blink of an eye and read the time, invaluable. Looking at the time while you're speaking to someone is rude and tells them you're bored, when in fact 99% of the time I just want to know what time it is so I can make the next meeting. Most watches you can't even do that and have to roll your wrist around the whole way and then squint at the hands or bring your wrist closer. Unacceptable.

My one example of a legible watch:
    Attachment 979511

Cons: Durability (see above), and it's certainly a great looking watch but I wouldn't call it drop dead gorgeous (though to be fair, the PO 8500 is the closest I've come to anything matching my three criteria).

So, if you've made it this far. What are your recommendations for a watch that hits all of these three criteria the most? I have to say I've searched casually for a long time on the internet, magazines and iPad apps (The Watch Enthusiast is a must for any WUS) and haven't found anything, so I'd be pleasantly surprised if anyone manages to find something. But I'm sure there are many of you who know a lot more about watches than I do and have far greater experience, so I'm putting this out there.

As an aside, feel free to describe your own top three aspects of a watch you value the most.
    Last edited by Marc B; February 20th, 2013 at 14:33.

Banned

Re: Looking for my ultimate watch - help

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    2. Durability is relative to the user's activities.
    3. Legibility can be only so objective. After that it depends on the user's eyesight.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

we don't know what beauty is for you, and as a caveat, not many mehanical watches can take on a full cardio workout day in day out.

if u want to do rigorous sports with a mechanical watch the only one I can think of that can survive and fully tested is the rm35 by richard mille.

If you are ok to leave ur mech watch and strap on a quartz while running, tere are plenty of beautiful, legible sports watches to choose eg AP RO, VC Overseas, Blancpain FF, PP Nautilus, Roger Dubuis, JLC navy Seal, panerai.
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

WnS

Beauty and Legibility: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

And get a g-shock for durability, no sane person takes a nice watch to the gym. Even if the movement is shock resistant, I wouldn't want to have the case scratched up.

Last edited by WnS; February 20th, 2013 at 15:27.
    TimeSaver and CCCP like this.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by marchone View Post
    1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    2. Durability is relative to the user's activities.
    3. Legibility can be only so objective. After that it depends on the user's eyesight.
    +1. Durability is my fetish. That Sinn is beautiful.

WnS

Quote Originally Posted by s.erickson87 View Post
    +1. Durability is my fetish. That Sinn is beautiful.
    Are you saying your like the durable tool watch look? I don't think that Sinn is much more durable against impacts than say, a dressy dive watch.
    I'm content with my watch collection

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    we don't know what beauty is for you, and as a caveat, not many mehanical watches can take on a full cardio workout day in day out.

if u want to do rigorous sports with a mechanical watch the only one I can think of that can survive and fully tested is the rm35 by richard mille.

If you are ok to leave ur mech watch and strap on a quartz while running, tere are plenty of beautiful, legible sports watches to choose eg AP RO, VC Overseas, Blancpain FF, PP Nautilus, Roger Dubuis, JLC navy Seal, panerai.
    Thanks for these suggestions, and they were good ones. Certainly many beautiful watches there with some durability and legibility thrown in, but they don't quite hit the sweet spot. I struggled to find anything with a water proof rating past 300 metres and those that did were not particularly attractive.

The Blancpain 50 Fathoms Tourbillon is probably my pick of the bunch, but again, 50 fathoms just isn't enough (I know I'm being finicky, but I just don't trust a 300 metre rating for 'real' water wear and tear).

In my renewed search I found the Glashutte Original Impact Tourbillon which goes even further to match my criteria, but fails once more at a good water rating.

The search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by WnS View Post
    Beauty and Legibility: Blancpain Fifty Fathoms

Surely this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B View Post
    ...The Blancpain 50 Fathoms Tourbillon is probably my pick of the bunch, but again, 50 fathoms just isn't enough (I know I'm being finicky, but I just don't trust a 300 metre rating for 'real' water wear and tear).

In my renewed search I found the Glashutte Original Impact Tourbillon which goes even further to match my criteria, but fails once more at a good water rating....
    Durability is one of your top criteria, and you're thinking about tourbillons? There seems a disconnect here.
    Over a half century of "just the right amount of odd."

This may be more of a budget option than you're looking for, but wouldn't a Sinn 857 be a more legible option than the U2, thereby satisfying both your durability and legibility criteria? That said I don't think it's as beautiful as the Blancpain or Omega, even though I myself am in the market for an 857 UTC!

You may simply need to settle on an APRO or PP Nautilus (it's a hard knock life...).
    Daily wearer: Squale 50 Atmos. I have owned: Blancpain Leman Ultra Slim, Bremont Supermarine, IWC 818-AD, IWC Ingenieur Automatic, IWC Ingenieur Vintage Collection, IWC Mark XVI, IWC Pilot's Chrono, Jaeger LeCoultre Master Control, Laco Aachen, Mühle Glashütte M12, NOMOS Glashütte Orion Weiss, Omega Seamaster Sword Hands 2254.50 (x2), Omega Speedmaster Pro (x2), Orient Excursionist, Precista PRS-18A, Rolex Oyster Speedking, Schofield Signalman DLC GMT PR, Seiko SKX007K2, Sinn 756, Squale 50 Atmos (x2), Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, Tudor Black Bay Noir, Tudor Oyster-Prince ("Big Rose"), Zenith Captain Central Seconds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information