Looking for a new anti-magnetic with a high end movement? Here's something different.
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Looking for a new anti-magnetic with a high end movement? Here's something different.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Looking for a new anti-magnetic with a high end movement? Here's something different.

Available in both HEQ and high end automatic models, the Grand Seiko "Red Logo."

Comes in two flavors (each available in quartz/mechanical):

Note that the quartz model lacks a date (oddly). The quartz model has a rated resistance of 40,000 A/M (which seems a bit overkill for a quartz, but whatevs). Speaking of overkill, the automatic model receives a rather impressive rating of 80,000. The automatic is apparently the stand Grand Seiko 9S65 (28,800 BPH, 72 hour reserve, 35 jewels, +5/-3/day).

It appears the quartz models will go for about $3000 MSRP and the automatics will go for about $6000 MSRP. Seems pretty reasonable.

Re: Looking for a new anti-magnetic with a high end movement? Here's something different.

Looks pretty cool.

The case seems kind of odd.... I don't really like watches with that style (referring specifically to how the bracelet meets the case) something about it makes me think of watches from the seventies, although that may be inaccurate... probably just my odd distastes though

Strangely, I find the quartz model to be much more attractive. I actually prefer it without the date, and the black dial with the red and yellow contrast look bad-a$$ to my eye.

Unfortunately, Grand Seiko is still doing that thing where they tell you what the brand is three separate times on the dial alone. I thought you were going to talk them out of that? ;)

In any case, I think we can safely say that the milgauss and ingenieur are facing some pretty solid competition.
    Formerguide and RogerP like this.

WnS

Re: Looking for a new anti-magnetic with a high end movement? Here's something different.

So is that 40000 A/m as in Teslas or 40000 Gauss (4 Teslas). The latter seems to resist some MRI machines, the former is just beyond ridiculous.
    I'm content with my watch collection

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm quoting from a Seiko blog, but it's in Japanese, so maybe he used the wrong units. There is no watch that can withstand an MRI machine for sure, atl east, until they can make one totally non-metallic at some point.

Inactive

May be too early in morning for me but is it not something equivalent to ~0.05T and ~0.1T respectively

80,000 Amperes / meter so about "standard" when compared to Sinn and Damasko.

80,000 a/m equates to 1000 gauss, same as the Milgauss, or the Ingenieur before they put a clear caseback on.

I will say that it's impressive Seiko was able to get a date on the mechanical version. Maybe the date wheel sits outside the faraday cage?

However I agree with fasthandssm about the case - not very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael the Psycho View Post
    80,000 Amperes / meter so about "standard" when compared to Sinn and Damasko.
    80,000 a/m is not standard for Sinn and Damasko.

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenM View Post
    I'm quoting from a Seiko blog, but it's in Japanese, so maybe he used the wrong units. There is no watch that can withstand an MRI machine for sure, atl east, until they can make one totally non-metallic at some point.
    Interesting concept. Are there any watches made entirely of non-ferromagnetic materials? It's one thing to have a mechanical watch that could keep reasonably accurate time in a magnetic field of 1-3 Tesla. But it wouldn't matter, as it would be completely unsafe if the watch had a metal case. The math is beyond me, but if you stepped too close to the bore of a modern MRI with a steel cased watch on, I suspect it would pin your arm to the scanner. And the "off" switch on an MRI is expensive and time consuming to use.... Even gold alloys would be unsafe. Maybe a ceramic case with very pure precious metal innards and silicon-based balance wheel?

CitizenM, please stop. You might cost me $6k...

Your friend,

Dan
    Current Collection:

Longines Master Collection Moonphase, Deep Blue World Diver 500M, Raymond Weil W1 Chronograph, Tissot PRS516 Chrono, Omega Seamaster 300, Citizen Skyhawk, Citizen Signature Automatic, Orient World Traveler GMT, Accutron VX-200, Citizen Eco Chrono BL5400-52A, Hamilton Cushion Chrono, Breitling Superocean Heritage 46, Orient Star GMT, Seiko Sportura Kinetic GMT

"It's a fake. And that's because all 'is my Patek a fake' posts contain only fake Pateks." quote, WUS member geoffbot

"... The minute a watch costs more than a well equipped Camry, I'd start feeling guilty about the purchase... " quote, WUS member LosTresGatos

"I think the only people who make rational decisions regarding watches are the people that do not post on watch forums." quote, WUS member digivandig

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information