Looking for a new watch- Help!

Thread: Looking for a new watch- Help!

Looking for a new watch- Help!

Hello everyone,
    Just stumbled across this forum, and thought it was amazing, so I decided to join and ask for some suggestions on buying a new watch in the 300 USD range.
    Here is kind thing that I am looking for- First, it would be for every day wear. Second, since I am a regular diver (I work underwater during the summers) and I fly fish and sail a lot, so I would like something very waterproof and rugged. I have killed two Invictas - an 8926c and a 0467, both with stem issues. The 8926 screw down crown leaked, and the stem seal on the 0467 let go about 2 weeks ago. Lastly, although I love automatic watches, I am getting surgery on my shoulder in three weeks, and wont be able to move my arm freely for the next 5 months- so since I am impatient, automatic is not an option.

I have found the 300m EcoZilla, and love the look of it, but it seems huge, although my 0467 is similar in width its about 3mm thinner... its just intimidating.

Open to any and all ideas-
    Thanks!
    Sailadct

Re: Looking for a new watch- Help!

Well Citizen makes another diver. Either way I say your best bet is a citizen. Make sure you get the watch seals checked yearly if you're using it in water.

The Ecozilla is great, and they have a number of other comparable divers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I loved my Ecozilla although I found the steel version way too heavy and upgraded to the BJ8041 (titanium). I believe those are a shade above $400 so over your budget, but well worth the premium.

Aside from Citizen, I'd recommend looking at Momentum: | Momentum® | St. Moritz Watch Corporation. They offer a number of dive watches and I specifically recommend the M50 for a very well built, sapphire crystal watch with quartz movement.

If you're willing to scour the DoD or grey market sites, then I also recommend getting a new old-stock Victorinox Divemaster 500. With enough patience, they pop up for well under $200 from time to time and offer tremendous no nonsense value for money. I currently use an orange face DM500 on my dive trips (the wife forced me to unload Crusty, my ecozilla *sniff*)

Finally there are the usual suspects which garner most of the kudos on WUS - the Seiko Monster and 007. Note that if you don't like their look out of the factory, there are a TON of mods for either model. Here's a link to Yobokies site so you get a (small) idea of what can be done: Mods pictures by yobokies - Photobucket
    Both are automatic and if you really prefer auto over quartz, they would be the way to go. Even with your arm in a sling, I doubt you'll have any issues keeping an auto watch ticking...it's not like we all walk around swinging our arms like crazy people. Worst case scenario, just manually wind it once in awhile until the 5 months are up...then you'll have a watch you really like for life.
    Consolidation complete! Down from 17 watches to 2 grails + 3 support
    Rolex Seadweller 16600 / ALS Saxonia / Casio Edifice (travel) / Hamilton Intramatic (ultra-thin dress) / Kadloo Match Race (tool)

I would recommend Seiko Monster or SKX007 - both are great, durable automatic divers watches. You won't have any problem keeping them wound despite your limited shoulder movement - they don't need much. The best part is the price - both around the US150-200 mark.
    Currently: Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.012 | Omega Speedmaster Date | 1952 Omega Constellation cal.354 | Rolex Datejust 16200 | Cartier Tank Francaise | Orient Star World-Time | Seiko SKX007K2 | Seiko SKX781K2 Orange Monster | De Reiter Automatic

Both seiko watches and the momentum watches look really nice, but I am concerned with the durability. In your opinion will they hold up to whatever daily life throws at them?

Yep, both Seikos are very durable. The Monster in particular is one robust watch.
    Currently: Omega Speedmaster Professional 145.012 | Omega Speedmaster Date | 1952 Omega Constellation cal.354 | Rolex Datejust 16200 | Cartier Tank Francaise | Orient Star World-Time | Seiko SKX007K2 | Seiko SKX781K2 Orange Monster | De Reiter Automatic

The new line of Seiko Monsters with winding and hacking ability is slowly becoming available now. I would check that out.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

I am sorry to keep asking such mundane questions, but do the orient ray/ mako watches have screw down crowns? Also what is the general consensus on the bulova 98B131 marine star, the seiko SKZ209K1, and SKX173. The seiko monsters look very durable, but the bezel is... quite large.
    I have looked around at various stores in my area, and found that *good* dive watches are hard to come by, so I have been looking on amazon. I am a little gun shy after my last couple of experiences, are there any third party sellers that I should avoid?

Thread Information