Looking to purchase a new Watch for running Purpose under $50
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking to purchase a new Watch for running Purpose under $50

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to purchase a new Watch for running Purpose under $50

Hi ,

This is my first post of this forum. I am looking to buy a new watch which can tell me the distance I have covered, and the time it took me to cover. I do not care about heart rate monitor. Altimeter could be a additional feature but not an absolute necessity. After doing a research on Amazon I have been able to shortlist CASIO SGW-200-1V and Timex
    T49845 but since I dont know any thing about this aspect I want reviews from experts on this forum. Please suggest me watches with the aforementioned features. COst under $50 is a must as I am tight on budget and would be using this watch only for my exercise purpose. If you are suggesting any watch with which goes beyond this budget then kindly suggest extra features which pushes the price.

Feel free to add any reading material also that you might think I should read before doing any purchase.

Thanks

Jagvir

Re: Looking to purchase a new Watch for running Purpose under $50

Hey Jag - Both the watches you listed are pedometers (one calls itself an accelerometer, which is the same thing). An advantage is that they can be used indoors and out (treadmills for instance). The downside is accuracy. Since they are on your arm, if you stop swinging your arm, it stops counting. Also, if you change stride length, it is thrown off. If you wear it too loose it can be thrown off. Overtime, it needs to be calibrated.

If you really want to just say "I ran about x miles" my suggestion would be to forget about the pedometer - get a basic running watch like the ever-reliant $30 timex ironman- and map out your routes ahead of time on gmap-pedometer or mapmyrun or any one of the similar sites. It will be more accurate and you won't have to worry about calibration like you do with a pedometer.

Other options are getting a good running case for your phone and downloading a free app (like MapMyRun, Strava or RunKeeper).
    There is also a sale on Amazon right now for a very basic GPS watch, pushing your budget to $69
    http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun...7T8THDGBN604AM
    Its not my favorite of the garmin series, since its fairly basic, but its a great price for a solid watch from my favorite of the GPS watch brands.

Goodluck!

Freecain makes a very good point about pedometers. I had one a few years ago and I was never sure if it was telling me fibs or not. I would go for a basic running watch and mapping your route out in advance.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Have you thought about your smartphone? I quit using a running watch and just use my phone. GPS tracks my run and it provides some killer tunes to keep me pumped up. Depending on the app, you can track calories burned and other stuff as well.

I know you said you don't want it, but you can also add bluetooth heart rate monitor and ear phones.

Without the smartphone, then the pedometer watches you listed are good options.

Quote Originally Posted by freecain View Post
    Hey Jag - Both the watches you listed are pedometers (one calls itself an accelerometer, which is the same thing). An advantage is that they can be used indoors and out (treadmills for instance). The downside is accuracy. Since they are on your arm, if you stop swinging your arm, it stops counting. Also, if you change stride length, it is thrown off. If you wear it too loose it can be thrown off. Overtime, it needs to be calibrated.

If you really want to just say "I ran about x miles" my suggestion would be to forget about the pedometer - get a basic running watch like the ever-reliant $30 timex ironman- and map out your routes ahead of time on gmap-pedometer or mapmyrun or any one of the similar sites. It will be more accurate and you won't have to worry about calibration like you do with a pedometer.

Other options are getting a good running case for your phone and downloading a free app (like MapMyRun, Strava or RunKeeper).
    There is also a sale on Amazon right now for a very basic GPS watch, pushing your budget to $69
    Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 110 GPS-Enabled Unisex Sport Watch - Black (Certified Refurbished): GPS & Navigation
    Its not my favorite of the garmin series, since its fairly basic, but its a great price for a solid watch from my favorite of the GPS watch brands.

Goodluck!
    Hey freecain thanks for the guidance. The thing is I dont want to use my phone while running as I like keeping things as minimalist as possible. i have been advised by others as well about use of MapMyRun and I already have RunKeeper installed. But as I mentioned I like running as minimally as possible. Also I have not recieved many positive reviews about the garmin series on AMazon . I will try to see if Ironman can suffice my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    Have you thought about your smartphone? I quit using a running watch and just use my phone. GPS tracks my run and it provides some killer tunes to keep me pumped up. Depending on the app, you can track calories burned and other stuff as well.

I know you said you don't want it, but you can also add bluetooth heart rate monitor and ear phones.

Without the smartphone, then the pedometer watches you listed are good options.
    Hi rfortson,

I did think about it and have runKeeper installed for quite some time now. Its just i like running minimally and hasslefree.
    rfortson likes this.

Go get a Timex or a Casio, but if you really enjoy running a GPS watch is fantastic. You can get them under $100 and probably close to $50 on sale.

mapmyrun.com I use that and then just take a Timex Ironman for time and splits and such
    WatchUSee is WatchIGot
    Casio - G-Shock GW-5000-1jf |
    Garmin - Forerunner 245 Music | Grand Seiko - Snowflake (SBGA011) | Longines - Master Collection (L2.673) | | MeisterSinger - Panagaea Day Date|Monta -Triumph | Nomos Glashutte - Club Datum | Orient - Mako mod | Rolex - Explorer I (214270 mk2) | Seiko - SKX007/09 mods | Stowa- Klassik Flieger

Watches that measure distance in the $50 and under price category all measure distance by acting as a pedometer. And they're not that great since they measure how many paces you've taken without regard to stride length which can vary with the terrain. The distance can be wildly off.

If your main goal to to measure distance accurately you can do it the old school way by mapping out your run beforehand and sticking to just that route or get a watch with GPS. Generally, GPS is going to cost you but if you're willing to go factory refurbished, there is this Garmin forerunner on Amazon for $70, like the first member response suggested. Given your $50 budget, $20 extra for GPS is a steal.
    Last edited by KronoZen; July 21st, 2015 at 19:52.
    rfortson and jagvirsingh7462 like this.

Hey Jag - yeah - that watch isn't the best in the series (thus the drastic cut in price). Part of the problem is the interface on that one isn't as pared down as the basic garmins, yet not as intuitive as the higher end ones, so you end up with users who get frustrated. Part of it is... its just not garmin's best watch. Its like all the users (myself included) who want automatic swiss watches with inhouse movements and lots of complications for under a grand. Money gets you what you want, but in this case the price difference isn't as big a jump.

My suggestion - If you're doing up to 5 or 6 miles, just map your runs out and use a basic running watch to track your time. Its a pain for the first month, but you build up a library of runs. After a while, I had mile markers memorized and could easily add on distance mid run. I used this method for runs up to 15 miles. 1-3 mile runs are incredibly easy to do this with. 4-10 get more difficult. 10+and your runs can get boring as you try to find straight roads to minimize turns (a few times I just did my 3, 2 and 5 mile runs in succession).

My approach was turn by turn directions (3rd L - Elm Street go .2 mile) I came up with short cuts ( -> X meant to end). I'd write the routes on card stock and keep them in a drawer until they were too beat up to use - at which point I usually had them memorized.
    My fiance used to print out maps of her route and write down intersection. I hated having to read those while running... but if I missed a turn, it was great to have. Long runs we did together, we'd do both.

Then i dropped the 200+ on a garmin (the big ugly FR310 - now 150) which has been amazing. Now, I love being able to just go out and run and let the watch track my distance. That said - accuracy is key. My fiance got the 210, and wasn't using it right, so the pedometer was doing the tracking instead of the GPS. This meant wildly inaccurate tracking, and until we figured it out, she felt like her running was inconsistent at the same level of effort (counter productive to training). Until we got it fixed, the old method of pre-mapped routes just worked better. Now, she still loves it, but it isn't as accurate as the 310 (cheaper GPS unit to fit in the lighter smaller case).

To be honest - I still have to map out long runs in advance to make sure I don't dead-end myself, and to occasionally check the accuracy of my watch.
    jagvirsingh7462 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information