Looking for (reputable) Canadian watch dealer / internet site(s)

Thread: Looking for (reputable) Canadian watch dealer / internet site(s)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for (reputable) Canadian watch dealer / internet site(s)

Hey all.

So, I just completed my first internet watch buy! I got a Citizen Chrono Time AT. It's my first watch in 10-20 years -- I went "naked wristed" after university. So far so good. Generally had a good experience -- I researched the dealer (kenmarwatches.com), and they did well by me. My watch was 354, instead of the 959$ CAD the local jeweler wanted.

(Actually got 3 watches - my sister and her husband are getting watches for Xmas!)

So after going through the shipping (29.99 for 1-4 watches) and customs charges, I've been wondering if there is a Canadian watch dealer I could use instead. This would also help me dodge the currency conversion fees charged by Mastercard.

Have any of you Canadians found a dealer with good prices in our home and native land?

thanks,

Angry Re: Looking for (reputable) Canadian watch dealer / internet site(s)

None that compares with the best of the gray market...

Rxq

Re: Looking for (reputable) Canadian watch dealer / internet site(s)

What would the best of be?

1. Victorinox Renegade (1999)
    2. Seiko 5 Superior SNZC27K1 (2007)
    3. Citizen SS Skyhawk A-T U600 (2008)
    4. Suunto Core 2009 Y/B (Replaced Y08 model)(2008-9)
    5. Chenevard Skeleton T22200 (Replaced MZI Corinth LGG) (2008-9)
    6. Millionsmart 1801 Flying Tourbillon SS (Replaced RG) (2009)
    7. Two time zone Skeleton (Modified 6497 Movement) (2009)
    8. Citizen Calibre 9000 Minute Repeater G900 (2009)
    9. Alpha Daytona S/B Chronograph
    10. PTS Tourbillon

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Usually, the U.S. has better deals than Canada because of more competition. So, even if you have to pay for the curency exchange, you will probably still pay less than getting the watch in Canada. If the watch is not that expensive, sometimes you may get lucky with taxes and duty if the package is shipped via USPS.

BTW, if you are into Japanese-market watches (and perhaps Marathon), Chronoworld in BC offers competitive pricing. You just need to pay 5% GST, no provincial tax and duty (unless you are BC resident). But the credit card charge is still in USD. (This is based on my inquiry a while ago, but I have not bought anything from them yet.)

I would be delighted if someone proves me wrong on my observation above and share with us a place that offer great watch deals in Canada. It would be nice not having to either synchronize a watch purchase with a U.S. trip or paying about 18% taxes and duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tofu View Post
    Usually, the U.S. has better deals than Canada because of more competition. So, even if you have to pay for the curency exchange, you will probably still pay less than getting the watch in Canada. If the watch is not that expensive, sometimes you may get lucky with taxes and duty if the package is shipped via USPS.

BTW, if you are into Japanese-market watches (and perhaps Marathon), Chronoworld in BC offers competitive pricing. You just need to pay 5% GST, no provincial tax and duty (unless you are BC resident). But the credit card charge is still in USD. (This is based on my inquiry a while ago, but I have not bought anything from them yet.)

I would be delighted if someone proves me wrong on my observation above and share with us a place that offer great watch deals in Canada. It would be nice not having to either synchronize a watch purchase with a U.S. trip or paying about 18% taxes and duty.
    Thanks, that's about what I figured. I'll definitely check out Chronoworld -- thanks for the tip.

Right now my "daily surf" for watches consists of:
    -- Kenmarwatches.com (had good rep/cred, and the best price on my Chrono-Time AT. Auth. Dealer for Hamilton and others.)
    -- Worldofwatches.com (forum sponsor! Good price on the X-wind I'm hunting for @899$. Daily deals/hourly deals are fun )
    -- Turning Time (sponsor / forum reg)
    -- Creationwatches.com (Seikos and Citizen drooling. Don't seem to carry the newest model)

So ... Canadians ... what sites are on your daily surf/shop for watches?

"watch it" i believe is a canadian site prices didn;t seem that great last time i checked.

chronoworld ships their items from asia i beleive now but duties/customs seems to hit less from there than from the US

cory
    hamilton khaki Field Auto Chrono-black
    Marathon GSAR
    Tag Kirium Quartz
    Seiko PMMM Mod
    PAM Hommage

A`while ago when I inquired Chronoworld about their watches shipped from Japan to Canada (not BC), they said I won't need to pay provincial tax and duty. If I get charged on the provincial tax and duty, they will refund that part. But, I don't know if this is still true or not and I actually haven't bought anything from them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLight View Post
    None that compares with the best of the gray market...
    +1

I just bought a Breitling which I'm sure was a fairly good deal compared to the AD price and all it cost me at the door was $147.00 can.. So to save hundreds for the cost of $150, yeah I'll do it. (Averaged to $50 per $1,000)

Unfortunately Canadians are quite short when it comes to online watch buying. I don't understand why it's so freaking dififcult! Watchit sells at retail mostly. Bodying has a Canadian website but they also don't have good prices and I don't know much about their business model.

I usually browse through the american internet sites...much much better deals ... for some reason, I find that the canadian prices are set based on a Candian dollar value of $0.75US dollar, and they don't get adjusted when the value of our dollar goes up..

Thankfully I have a sister living in the US so I just have the order delivered to her and then she ships it to me as a gift..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information