Looking for a smaller sized watch (first post on the forums)!
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Looking for a smaller sized watch (first post on the forums)!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a smaller sized watch (first post on the forums)!

After lurking about the forums for about two years now, I've decided to make my first post.

I'm looking for some help in finding my new watch and making the jump into "nicer watches". I've been with my g-shock for about two years now and, after saving for all this time, I have a bit ~8,000USD to buy a new watch (no need to use all of it :D).

What I'm looking for:

-I'm 18 and will be going to college in the fall, so durability will be necessary. Diver level water resistance would be awesome, but not necessarily needed.

-I have a small wrist (6.5-6.75 inches), so I've always been drawn to more vintage sized watches.

-There's this allure towards manual wind movements. I watched my grandfather wind his watch every morning and I find the connection he had with his watch just fascinating.

-Since I'll be spending this amount (which is a lot for me), I want to be able to get an in house movement.

-I would like to just stay with a time and maybe a date complication. I like a plain looking dial.

-Having a watch that could be worn with both jeans and a suit would be great, but maybe I'm just a bit too optimistic.

-I have sweaty palms so NATO strap or bracelet would probably be best.

Some of the watches that I've liked are:

-IWC Mark XI (I've wanted this guy for years. I just never had the money till now. If there are any production watches like this, manual wind, rugged and small sized, I'd really want to know about it!)

-Omega Seamaster/Rolex Submariner (Classic watches, but they almost seem too "common". Maybe I'm just being too much like a hippie.)

-Blancpain Bathyscaphe (Heard some complaints. Also slightly out of budget at 10,500. And also on the larger side.)

-JLC Master Control or MUT (I like the idea of them, although they look a little too "nice" for me to wear all the time. Also, I don't think I can put a NATO strap on these guys...)

-Omega AT 15000 Gauss (Interesting concept as I'm a nerdy sort of guy, but will this be looked at as a gimmick watch in the future?)

-Bremont Solo 37 (Not in house. An automatic. But I've been following Bremont for quite a while and I really like where they're going. I heard that they might be coming out with an in house movement soon...)

The more I look back at what I wrote, the more indecisive I think I sound. The final decision is mine, but I'm just wondering if any of y'all have any suggestions for me!

Thanks ahead of time~

Re: Looking for a smaller sized watch (first post on the forums)!

Get the Bremont, switch it out for a NATO strap, bank the rest of the cash, and enjoy it! It's a great looking watch with fantastic build quality and wrist appeal. And for a guy your age it's way better than the old guy watches some of us like!

Don't worry that it uses a standard movement (ETA 2836-2). Embrace it. It's an uncomplicated round faced watch. An in-house movement doesn't buy you anything in this case. That movement will run for a long time and be easier to service.
    GlennO and drhr like this.

I think the Bremont Solo in 37mm is a great idea for a someone with a slim wrist looking for something durable and a bit different to the usual Sub/SMP choices.
    Have you considered the new IWC Ingenieur 3239? It's not in-house either but its 40mm should be very wearable on a smaller wrist.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You are 18, you own a G-Shock and now you want to buy an $8,000 watch?
    Totoro66, chuasam and MEzz like this.

8k watch = disappears one day at college. If you want to step up to nicer watches maybe go for a nice Hamilton. Or maybe a Seiko monster for a fun school watch. Point is think hard before taking an multi thousand dollar piece of jewerly to school where people come in and out of rooms all the time and generally are on tight budgets.

Hi there,

May I suggest offerings from Nomos Glashutte, more specifically the small Club/Club Dunkel?

For the price of 1880CAD (cheaper for solid case back) it's a "bargain" for what you get:

- 37mm, 46mm lug-to-lug (correct me if I'm wrong)
    - In-house manual wound movement modeled after the Peseux 7001, but adjusted and decorated gorgeously (hence please get the sapphire display back!)
    - Shell Cordovan strap (not cheap if you buy it by itself)
    - Very reserved yet versatile design (works great for me, your mileage may vary)
    Edit: Unlike the image below, the models in question do not have ze datum
    Name:  club_xl_01.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  143.4 KB
    Great review here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f67/nom...ew-472328.html

Make sure you specify the strap size to be small when ordering though.

Cheers!
    Last edited by halfacat1; January 14th, 2014 at 05:48.

SBGA029 | Grand Seiko | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION this
    and spend the rest of the money on something else cool
    Domo, CitizenM and Harsha_code like this.

Hmmm I'd say a 38mm Aqua Terra 8500, or maybe a Rolex Air King (very small for a modern men's watch). There are also a lot of Grand Seikos that run a little small, but the smaller ones tend to be pretty dressy. There's also of course Nomos, which goes as low as 33mm.

So a few photos:

Here's an AT8500.

Here's (my) Aqua Terra 8500. It's worth noting that the Aqua Terra has 150m water resistance and a screw down crown.

My Grand Seiko hi-beat. 100 meter resistance and screw down, but a lot of Grand Seikos don't screw down. Might be too dressy though.

I think Nomos is a really good fit for you and well under your price point. Still hits every requirement though. Also available handwound. This is the Club.

There's a Nomos Tangente. Available handwound.

Here are some Air Kings. They sort of have a vintage flair to me. Very small Rolexes.

IWC has some options for you but I think the Portuguese Hand Wound fits you the best.

Might also want to check out Glashutte Original, but maybe a little dressy.

Honestly, my number 1 bet for you is the Aqua Terra or the Nomos Club.
    Domo, Der Amf and Harsha_code like this.

Oh if you wanted to do something more divery but like the Nomos lineup, check out their Ahoi:

This one is a little sportier and has a screw down crown and increased water resistance.
    Watchnik likes this.

You're a candidate for a Grand Seiko if I ever did see one. You don't want bling, you don't want it to get stolen, you want a small watch, in house, yadda yadda....

Name:  sbgr071-1.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  70.2 KB

3 days automatic and only 37mm?? yes, please :D
    It could be yours for only about $3500.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information