Looking for a Tungsten tutorial
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Looking for a Tungsten tutorial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a Tungsten tutorial

I've done a fair amount of research and am amazed at how little information there is out there about tungsten watches as well as the minuscule number of companies making them right now.

I LOVE heavy watches as well as the scratch resistance of the band and sapphire crystal. It's like buying a car you can drive for miles and the odometer doesn't change. Great investment.

Anyway, I don't know anything about the reputations of the brands and the investment/return on them. I don't necessarily need the most expensive brand or the one that will net me the most profit 20 years from now. Just the best value to price ratio.... However, this is not a test.

From what I can tell, the major Tungsten watch players are Rado, Lum Tec, Swiss Legend, and Movado. I have also seen decent looking, reasonably priced versions from Swiss Tungsten, Invicta, and Oniss.

Any opinions are welcome. I am specifically wondering about the comparisons between the Movados, Swiss Legend, and Swiss Tungsten because those are the ones I like:

Finally, why are these not more popular???

Banned

Re: Looking for a Tungsten tutorial

Rado is one of those "under the radar" companies, but they make a nice product. They're into case materials that are a little off the beaten path including ceramics. Lüm-Tec is relatively new but make a pretty rugged product. Don't know much about Swiss Legend except for a funny quote by a long time WIS: "They are neither truly Swiss nor legendary". Movado takes a lot of unjustified flak, but any brand that has TOO much public awareness (see: TAG Heuer, Rolex) seems to get that. Their 800 series looks pretty nice to me.

The more I look at all the brands out there the more I like the Swiss Legend and Movado pieces (both Valor and Fiero models).

If anyone else knows anything about the Swiss Legend that would be great since there isn't a ton of info out there. Of course any additional Tungsten info would be great too.

From what I've seen, Tungsten is difficult to work with which, to me, indicates that all Tungsten watches will be expensive. However, only the Movados have watches over $600 and the majority of Tungsten watches are in the $200-$300 range. Why so cheap for a watch that is difficult to make and stays new looking forever??

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've got an M7 by Lum-Tec. It's a beautiful watch, it's heavy, and what a readable dial! You go to the theater and you can look at your M-7 and see the time with no problem! This watch is a tank!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the look of tungsten carbide as a case material. The color and finish is impossible to photograph properly, but in person it is special. Wish I could tell you more about those watches. My recommendation would be to go with the one that you like the looks of....

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

I just got a Tungsten Carbide wedding band to wear at work. I made my and my wife's wedding bands from scratch out of gold, and we were trying to keep the wear off them when we were doing manual labor, and tungsten is a natural choice.

Tungsten Carbide is the hardest material ever to be made into jewelry. It ranges around an 8 or 9 on the Mohs scale. Sapphire is a 9, so I now have a ring which as hard as or harder than the crystal on my watch. I've accudentally dropped my ring from a height of about 1.5 inches onto the case of my watch (316L Stainless), and it nicked the case. No signs of wear on the ring, and I've tried to scratch it! I slam it into stuff, drag it on countertops, etc, and nothing has happened to the ring, only the stuff I'm slamming it into (and my finger!).

Tungsten Carbide is quite dense, roughly twice the density of 316 stainless, so items made from it will be heavy. My ring has a nice heavy weight to it, and I like it.

I agree that it'll wear extremely well, just be careful of what you slam it into, you might end up with dinged marble counters or metal doors...

Tungsten Carbide is VERY hard, but also brittle. Once it's yield strength is reached, the ceramic will shatter. Now, it's yield strength is much higher than steel, so it'll hold up to anything steel would, but it won't stretch or ding once you push it too far, it'll shatter.

breaking a tungsten ring

and if you're an engineer:
    Spec Sheet for Tungsten

Spec Sheet for Stainless
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

I see how it can shatter in the case of the ring and also as a general theory. I'm wondering though if in practical application anyone has ever seen a tungsten carbide watch shatter.

Here's a Lum-Tec Tungsten M7 for your eyes

And on a tungsten bracelet...heavy but such a nice finish.

Regards, Mike.

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift485 View Post
    I see how it can shatter in the case of the ring and also as a general theory. I'm wondering though if in practical application anyone has ever seen a tungsten carbide watch shatter.
    My dad has a Ceramic Rado that he never wears anymore. He broke the band at the clasp twice (Rado replaced the band each time). Now, the watch is probably close to 10 years, and I'm not sure the ceramics were as good back then, but he has broken a tungsten watch[band]. Now it just sits in his safe.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Nice watch. Do you have any wrist shots of it? I've never been a big fan of totally polished watches but I think that's just what I'm used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information