Looking for Watch Recommendations
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Looking for Watch Recommendations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for Watch Recommendations

My 21st birthday is coming up and I'm looking for a really solid watch to last me a lifetime. I've been looking around for something I can wear with pretty much any outfit, including business clothing (not necessarily a full suit, but definitely a button down shirt and trousers). I consider a watch to be a useful networking tool so I would like something which is clearly not a 200£ (approx. 270 $) piece - looking for a conversation piece. My budget is around 4000 £. I think I would like a leather strap but of course my concern with this is if I get black or brown, the colors I can wear it with are limited. Here is a list of watches that have caught my interest thus far.

TAG HEUER CARRERA CALIBRE HEUER01 (leather or rubber strap) - I enjoy the skeleton structure on the Carrera model
    Breitling CHRONOMAT COLT AUTOMATIC 44 STEEL - MARINER BLUE
    Breitling NAVITIMER 1 AUTOMATIC 38 STEEL - BLUE

I apologize for the lack of links, I haven't reached the necessary post count yet. These names are the names listed on the TAG Heuer and Breitling websites though so they should come up with the first google search.

What are some other models you think I should look into? I would appreciate the expert help.

Omega speedmaster professional. Looks great on various leather straps especially the rally brown straps and also very smart on the bracelet. You can buy one for around £2500
    harry_flashman likes this.
    All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you...

Re: Looking for Watch Recommendations

Buy whatever you like and don't worry about what other people think. But since you are asking the question in a watch hobby forum, you should know that Tag is seen more as a fashion watch brand in this circle. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong to be a fashion watch brand, it is just not a popular brand in this circle (but it is a very popular brand among general public).

Remember also that if you want a watch to wear in all occasions, a simple and time-tested design will fit for more occasions. Many people, including myself, started the hobby buying watches with complicated dials, but as I grow and learn in this hobby, I gear more toward simple designs. In your price range, you should also consider Omega, Tudor, IWC, and maybe German brands such as Sinn and Damasko. A second-hand Rolex is another option.
    slcbbrown likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the look of the Navitimer but if I’m honest I prefer the Sinn 903.

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky73 View Post
    Omega speedmaster professional. Looks great on various leather straps especially the rally brown straps and also very smart on the bracelet. You can buy one for around £2500
    This, this, this... if you want a watch that will last a lifetime, get one whose design already has... the Speedy has been a classic for decades.

Name:  3B5312FB-08BC-4A5A-8299-5277E3F0906A.jpeg
Views: 41
Size:  902.6 KB
    Baka1969 likes this.

The abovementioned Speedmaster is def a sure conversation starter. Not to mention absotively great looking. If I had that kind of budget an IWC would probably get my attention though.
    The gang: Nomos Club Campus 38, Nomos Tetra Duo, Hamilton Murph, MKII Paradive Gen 3

+++

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    Buy whatever you like and don't worry about what other people think. But since you are asking the question in a watch hobby forum, you should know that Tag is seen more as a fashion watch brand in this circle. Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong to be a fashion watch brand, it is just not a popular brand in this circle (but it is a very popular brand among general public).

Remember also that if you want a watch to wear in all occasions, a simple and time-tested design will fit for more occasions. Many people, including myself, started the hobby buying watches with complicated dials, but as I grow and learn in this hobby, I gear more toward simple designs. In your price range, you should also consider Omega, Tudor, IWC, and maybe German brands such as Sinn and Damasko. A second-hand Rolex is another option.
    What he said. Also, take your time-- your budget and is a lot of money and should get you something to last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by harry_flashman View Post
    This, this, this... if you want a watch that will last a lifetime, get one whose design already has... the Speedy has been a classic for decades.
    It seems like people don't understand that the Navitimer design has been around for decades too...
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

Zenith Classic Chronograph.
    Dan.
    A. Lange & Sohne 1815 Up/Down
    H. Moser & Cie Pioneer Centre Seconds
    Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Tribute Small Seconds
    Officine Panerai Radiomir PAM 720
    Rolex Submariner 114060 (No Date)
    Cartier Santos WSSA0010
    Apple Watch Series 4 Nike+
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SKX009
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400-1
    Casio G-Shock GA-700
    Casio G-Shock DW-5600E
    And others (not really worth mentioning)

Quote Originally Posted by dbostedo View Post
    It seems like people don't understand that the Navitimer design has been around for decades too...
    Certainly “understand” that the Navitimer has been around for decades, but it has gone through many more iterations and resurrections than the Speedy. Besides, the “classic” current Navitimer 01 is above the OP’s budget... like @Sticky, I’d prefer the Sinn 903.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information