Looking for watch with second time zone
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for watch with second time zone

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for watch with second time zone

Hi,

I am looking for a watch with mechanical/automatic movement and a second time zone as complication (ideally with half-hour increments, for countries like Iran, but this is not a must). Additional interesting optional complications would be date, separate dial for seconds and weekday.

I like watches with simple, classic design. I already own two automatic watches, a very simple Frederique Constant Classic and another one from the Longines Master Collection with Large Date and separate seconds dial. I like their style, however for the next watch I'd rather go for a different brand to have some diversity. I know that both FC and Longines have watches with seconds time zone.

My budget is between 1.500 and 2.500 Euro.

I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks & cheers, Robert

Re: Looking for watch with second time zone

Would you consider used? Or only brand new?

I am not aware of any "dual time" or "GMT" mechanical watches that can handle the 1/2 (or 1/4) hour time zones. Best option I found was a true worldtimer, like the Ball, G-P ww.tc, and Patek models.

My Tissot T-touch, however, handles them just fine with 15 min "quickset" intervals instead of one hour.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi guys, thanks for your responses!

Quote Originally Posted by jt67 View Post
    Would you consider used? Or only brand new?
    Used would be fine too.

Quote Originally Posted by ~tc~ View Post
    I am not aware of any "dual time" or "GMT" mechanical watches that can handle the 1/2 (or 1/4) hour time zones. Best option I found was a true worldtimer, like the Ball, G-P ww.tc, and Patek models.

My Tissot T-touch, however, handles them just fine with 15 min "quickset" intervals instead of one hour.
    The 1/2 timezones are not that important, so a good-looking dualtime would be fine. What is the difference between dualtime and GMT watch?

Worldtimers look interesting too, however the Ball is not my style, the G-P and Pateks are way out of my price range. Longines has a great-looking worldtimer model, but I would prefer to go for another brand because I already own a Longines Master Collection and the look is too similar.

Cheers, Robert

Quote Originally Posted by cwfgp View Post
    Longines has a great-looking worldtimer model, but I would prefer to go for another brand because I already own a Longines Master Collection and the look is too similar.
    I would avoid the Longines World Timer you linked to in any case, since it uses a Longines L635 movement, which is just an ETA 2824-2. I have nothing against ETA, but the ETA 2824-2 is not a GMT movement. You probably will be looking at something based on an ETA 2893-2 GMT movement at your price point, which will mean that the quickset is on the GMT hand instead of the 12 hour hand. This is suboptimal for travel, since you will like to display the local time on the 12 hour hands, and the time at home on the GMT hand (so you can tell if it is day or night at home), and that means that you should ideally be able to quickset the 12 hour hands.

The only thing at your price point that is mechanical and has a quickset on the 12 hour hand instead of the GMT hand is an Omega Seamaster GMT. The first one is just above your price point, and you might be able to get it new for a tad bit above 2500 Euros if you get 20% off the MSRP. The second one has been discontinued, and is only available preowned.

huu likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

The 1/2 timezones are not that important, so a good-looking dualtime would be fine. What is the difference between dualtime and GMT watch?

Worldtimers look interesting too, however the Ball is not my style, the G-P and Pateks are way out of my price range. Longines has a great-looking worldtimer model, but I would prefer to go for another brand because I already own a Longines Master Collection and the look is too similar.

Cheers, Robert
    IMHO,dual time has a separate dial showing both hours/minutes, where a GMT has one additional hand, usually 24 hr and centrally mounted.

I don't think the Longines is a true world timer - like Bremont, it's just a GMT with a bezel with names on it. A true worldtimer has a rotating disc that allows instantaneous (and simultaneous) reading of any time zone at any time.

Ball has several true worldtimer models in both the Engineer Master II and Trainmaster lines. Also, IWC, Nomos, and others have them also.

Hi ~tc~,

Thanks for your response!

I don't think the Longines is a true world timer - like Bremont, it's just a GMT with a bezel with names on it. A true worldtimer has a rotating disc that allows instantaneous (and simultaneous) reading of any time zone at any time.
    I think the Longines has exactly that, at least according to the description on their website.

With the GMT watches, can the second hand be commonly be changed only in 1-hour increments or freely? I am just looking at the Fortis B-42 DIVER GMT 3 TIME ZONES, which looks quite promising, any thoughts on that one?

IWC is out of my range I think. About Nomos, which model do they have? I did not find any on their website?

Cheers, Robert
    Last edited by cwfgp; January 6th, 2013 at 19:24.

Normally, either the GMT or the hour hand "jumps" in one hour increments. It would seem logical that it could operate smoothly (especially on a dual time where it's easy to see the minute and therefore sync the displays) and be able to be set wherever - especially with one of the worlds fastest growing economies (India) being on a 1/2 hr timezones.

nomos Zurich weltzeit
    Zürich Weltzeit sapphire crystal back | Beautiful watches purchased online. Directly from NOMOS Glashutte/SA.

Hi ~tc~,

Thanks for your response!

I think the Longines has exactly that, at least according to the description on their website.

With the GMT watches, can the second hand be commonly be changed only in 1-hour increments or freely? I am just looking at the Fortis B-42 DIVER GMT 3 TIME ZONES, which looks quite promising, any thoughts on that one?

IWC is out of my range I think. About Nomos, which model do they have? I did not find any on their website?

Cheers, Robert
    There are two Nomos, Tangomat (4.7k approx) and Zurich (5.7k)

Name:  Nomos-Tangomat-GMT.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  nomos-zurich-world-time-watch-1276121172.jpg
Views: 4513
Size:  80.4 KB

(TC beat me to it!)
    Last edited by jt67; January 6th, 2013 at 19:31.

IMHO,dual time has a separate dial showing both hours/minutes, where a GMT has one additional hand, usually 24 hr and centrally mounted.

Ball has several true worldtimer models in both the Engineer Master II and Trainmaster lines. Also, IWC, Nomos, and others have them also.

I cant actually see a GMT hand on the Longines, is it simply an unmodified ETA-2824 with a rotating bezel?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information