Looking for a: Womens Chronograph with 24 hr markers, day/date, and strong illumination.

Thread: Looking for a: Womens Chronograph with 24 hr markers, day/date, and strong illumination.

Question Looking for a: Womens Chronograph with 24 hr markers, day/date, and strong illumination.

I am looking to purchase a watch for my wife to replace her current Swiss Army model.
    Swiss Army Watch Officer's 1884 at Victorinox Stores Inc.

She is in law enforcement and uses her watch constantly, but wishes it had a few more features.

Most of these features could be found on a digital watch, but she hates the look, and is generally much more classy than a typical digital watch would portray.
    The watch doesn't have to be made specifically as a "Ladies" watch, it just needs to fit as many of the requirements as possible.
    • First she really needs a stopwatch function, so a chronograph.
    • Usually her reports are done in military time, and she refers to the 24hr markings on her current watch often. Alternatively a second display with 24hr time.
    • Next would be the Day/Date, as she needs to reference it on paperwork daily. Date is a must, Day would would nice.
    • Quality illumination of any variety. Her current watch has "Luminous hands" but they are very poor, and last only minutes at best.
    • It needs to be able to handle an occasionally rough work environment. I really think most quality watches could handle it, but something to keep in mind.
    • Last, she is a somewhat petite woman, so I would say a 40mm case is really pushing it size wise. Her current watch is 32mm and fits her well, but with the extra features I am not sure 32mm is feasible any more.
    I am been searching for weeks trying to find just the right watch and have yet to find anything that meets all the criteria.

Some of the watches that I have considered so you can get a feeling for price and quality at least:
    I am trying to keep the price under $1K, but if the perfect watch came along for more I would consider it.

I have lurked here for a long time and know the vast resources this community has to offer, so I am hoping someone out there knows exactly what I am looking for and can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!
    Last edited by KPrime; September 6th, 2011 at 02:52.

Re: Looking for a: Womens Chronograph with 24 hr markers, day/date, and strong illumination.

sadly not a lot of options out there for a lady, but if you are willing to consider a digital this gucci has nearly everything you need.

dual time, chronograph, backlight(not lume), and lots of other goodies; certainly not a throw away watch.
    actually i think my wife would like this one
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Re: Looking for a: Womens Chronograph with 24 hr markers, day/date, and strong illumination.

hmm... That's not bad, I can't find any mention of a chrono in the literature though?

I might have to expand my search into higher end digital watches and see if I can find something she would like there.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've looked at women's chronographs - not much out there that isn't infested with diamonds. Stick with the smaller men's watches. Other than the day function, this Citizen Eco-Drive seems to check all the boxes:

Watch Details for Eco-Drive Chronograph | Citizen Eco-Drive

Name:  CitizenAT2050.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  14.0 KB

(image from Amazon.com)

It's 40mm, but the case height is only 10mm (which is dainty for a chronograph).

why limit yourself to women's watches ... why not take a look at some of the men's as well

problem with a lot of the women's watches is that most of the money goes to the bling as oppose to quality

a few of the men's watches I would look at are:
    1. Nautec No Limit Deep Sea Chronograph ~ lume, chronograph function, around $450
    2. Luminox Atacama Field Chronograph 1860 Series ~ lume, chronograph, 24hr, date, around $950
    3. Concord Saratoga Chronograph ~ lume, date, chronograph, $650

Name:  1502729.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  20.6 KBName:  1768487.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  15.6 KBName:  1827765.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  17.1 KB
    Last edited by ari.seoul; September 6th, 2011 at 18:41.

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    problem with a lot of the women's watches is that most of the money goes to the bling as oppose to quality
    That is indeed what I am finding. The only reason I was looking at the women's watches was due to case size, but as CoastCat said, it will probably come down to a smaller "mens" watch.

The Luminox looks fantastic, and it even has an alarm function which I know she would use, but I didn't really expect to find along with all the other requirements. The only thing I am worried about is that it stats a 47mm face! I can't tell from any of the sites that carry it if they are including the crown in the size? I know they don't typically, but the pictures just don't make it look that big.
    Really any number of the Luminox "Field" line watches look great. Thanks for pointing them out.
    Name:  lum_fieldatakamachrono_1844_lg.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  21.8 KBName:  lum_fieldatakamachrono_1893_lg.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  21.8 KBName:  lum_fieldchronograph_1881bo_lg.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  21.8 KB

Otherwise the Citizen watch looks really good, and if the other one is indeed as big as is stated then I think she would rather forgo the extra features for a smaller/slimmer watch. And, I think she would really like not having to ever replace the battery, as that has been an issue with her current watch. They always die at the most inopportune times!

A larger watch might work, but your wife absolutely has to try before buying. I once tried on the Oris Regulateur Der Meistertaucher, which is a 49mm diver. It was huge and looked more than a bit daft, but it fit my 6" wrist. Meanwhile, there are smaller watches that just don't fit.

The most comfortable chrono I've ever tried on was the Tutima Air Force, 43mm titanium case. Unfortunately, it's well beyond your stated budget (and alas, mine as well). That Tutima has low buttons instead of the usual tall pushers, which makes for a better fit on a small wrist. The Citizen is a good alternative, not to mention 1/10th the price...

for the record and to further prove just how much i like this watch, i just purchased one for my wife(HA)
    for a lady that is totally into fashion, it was a no-brainer.

ps.....this place is gonna be the ruin of me
    Enjoying a life far better than I deserve...

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.
    Check out a used revue thommen airspeed Chronograph with the lemania 5100. 38.5mm auto Chronograph with 24 hour sub dial. Easily the most legible Chronograph outthere. Used ones go for around 1200.

-Thumbed from my Droid.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Strela (a Poljot brand, evidently) make a lot of sweet chronos, all of which seem to be 39mm and not terribly thick. This one doesn't have the lume, but others do.

Name:  strela.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  18.5 KB

It can be seen at Strela Watches

I'm saving my pennies for one of these m'seff (five feet five, 6.5" wrist).
    Last edited by Poindexter; September 9th, 2011 at 06:23.

Thread Information