Loose Hour and Minute Hands on 7750?

Thread: Loose Hour and Minute Hands on 7750?

Loose Hour and Minute Hands on 7750?

I just received my new watch, a Tissot PRS 516, but I noticed something a little odd while setting the time. When pulled out all the way, there is a small range in which the crown moves completely freely, and as I hit either end of this range where the hands begin to move, both the hour and minute hand will move together for a couple millimeters. It's difficult to say exactly what happens as the hands are eventually driven by the movement, but I am able to cause a slight offset of both hands in one direction or the other even as I leave the setting mode. Basically, it feels as if the entire assembly containing the hour and minute hands is somehow slightly loose and being moved as a single piece by the crown.

This is in contrast to my only other mechanical watch, a Seiko 5, where every movement of the crown when setting the time translates exactly to a proportional movement of the hands. There is no play in the mechanism at all.

For all I know this could be completely normal and the way the 7750 movement works, so I would like to get some input from the community before I contact the dealer. The movement doesn't feel broken or damaged in any other way, and all functions do work properly.

Update: To settle this once and for all, I've created a short video demonstrating exactly what I'm describing and posted it here. Is this a normal amount of play for a 7750 or something more? I couldn't find any reference to the hour hand moving due to play in the gears on a 7750, but maybe I'm just the first to think sufficiently much of it to ask.
    Last edited by Chaos215bar2; June 30th, 2011 at 19:32.

Re: Loose Hour and Minute Hands on 7750?

So, I've contacted Tissot and they said that the hands should not be behaving this way, which means I'll be contacting the dealer tomorrow. Nevertheless, I'd like to hear from the WUS community. Has anyone had this issue with a 7750 movement? Would it be likely to cause problems down the line, or would this watch most likely keep working just fine aside from the slight looseness while setting the time?

I have a Valjoux 7760, which is the manual version of the 7750. When the crown is out, there is a certain amount of 'play' which makes the minute and hour hands 'rock' together slightly. Prior to buying the watch, I remember reading somewhere (almost certainly on this forum) that this was perfectly normal. It certainly doesn't bother me. (Mind you, I don't think I will need to pull the crown out very often; the movement is staggeringly accurate and I have no date to worry about!)

Once the crown is pushed back, the 'rocking' stops, yes? Seriously, I would suggest the person you spoke to said it wasn't normal only because he didn't know about this, and has never been asked the question before. You would be better asking a watchmaker who actually handles the watches regularly.

I would be interested to hear the opinions of other 'Valjouistes' however.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Without actually seeing the problem, I am cannot say if it normal or not. However, the Valjoux 7750 and its kin have quite a lot of backlash in the motion works gears for the hands. It because they have one or two more gear than normal.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Interesting. That sounds exactly like what I described, so maybe there's actually nothing wrong. That would be nice.

I'd still like to hear from someone with a 7750 to be sure, especially if it's been serviced recently or they asked about this. It still seems odd to me that the time setting mechanism would be loose like this, but if that's the way it's supposed to be, I certainly don't mind. I'll hold off sending the watch to the dealer for a day or two in hopes of hearing more.

Edit: Thanks, lysanderxiii. It is really starting to sound like this is completely normal and nothing to worry about. That would easily explain the looseness of the crown, and assuming even the slightest amount of direct physical linkage between the hour and minute hands, that could also explain why they tend to move together just a bit before beginning to move as normal.
    Last edited by Chaos215bar2; June 29th, 2011 at 19:34.

Update: Added video to the OP.

So, here's an update:

Since no one had any comments on my video and both Tissot and World of Watches insisted that the hands should not be behaving the way I described, I decided to send it in. The replacement has arrived, and… *drumroll* the hands are the same. I guess that means it is indeed normal.

Something good did come out of all this, though. I had noticed that the first watch seemed oddly difficult to wind, and even after about 20 turns (from fully unwound), the additional resistance I had heard of never kicked in. The replacement is completely different. It's relatively easy to wind for about ten longish turns, and then becomes about as hard to continue winding as the original was from the start. Hand winding was working on the first watch, but it certainly seems as if something was off in the winding mechanism. The rotor on the new watch also seems to spin a bit more easily.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the watch, and hopefully this thread is useful for anyone else wondering about play in their new 7750 movement.

Thread Information