Lorier Hydra impressions
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Lorier Hydra impressions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lorier Hydra impressions

So I have a Lorier Hydra on my wrist as a trial. I want to use this thread to give my initial impressions and also update my thoughts over the time that I have the watch.

I should start by saying that I first came across Lorier at the wind-up Festival in New York City last fall. I was immediately drawn to the Vintage look of their watches, the crystal, and particularly this watch, which has the gilt look on the dial and a little bit of red writing that makes it all pop.

I decided to reach out to the owners of the company to find out more about the watch, to tell them that I really like the way itself, and I'm lucky enough to have the opportunity to give it a trial run and share my thoughts.

I will be completely upfront and say that, in no way, am I being paid for this. I am not being offered any free items or a discount on any items for doing this. This was all initiated by me because of my first impression of the watch.

I have not got on to their website to check out any of the specs of the watch. I will at some point, but this is my very initial impression:

1. THAT CRYSTAL!!
    Holy smokes, the crystal, which is Plexi or acrylic has this phenomenal dome and gives you that great distortion on the dial that vintage watches have. The watch gains a certain amount of height because of the Dome of the crystal, but when I think of the watch's height, I don't think of it up to the crystal. I really think of it as the structure of the metal case.

2. The bracelet
    The bracelet has a pretty drastic taper from the top to links into the rest of the body of the bracelet. It definitely looks narrow on the wrist, not in a negative way, but in a way that doesn't feel like it's taking over the wrist. The bracelet is fully satin brushed on the top, bottom, and sides, and all but the top three links have screws for easy sizing.

Each individual link has a considerable amount of fold and, as a result, it drapes over the wrist and forms itself to the shape of your wrist in a very Supple way. The links are a little thicker than it seems they are, and they don't seem too thick because of the way it conforms to the rest.

3. The clasp
    The clasp is simple, a double push button class that locks in nicely and has one micro link. It looks like it has the lorier logo lasered on to the satin brushed finish. It seems sturdy, substantial enough, and certainly quality at the price point. It feels solid without being beefy in size as some clasps are on micro brand watches.

4. The dial
    The thing I loved about the specific model for the long, white stick indices, the gilt minute track, and the red writing displaying the depth rating. The minute and hour hands are an interesting shape and in what is gold-plated metal filled in with lume. I like the shape of the hands. The seconds hand is a very stark white, somewhat different than the white color of the indices. The hand reminds me of the second hand on a Sinn 104 or 103. I like the hand, but there's a lot of that color on the dial, and I wonder if a spark of color with a red tip on the second hand might add a little extra pop? I love, love, love the very Inky black of the dial. Almost like you're staring into a pool of pen ink. Some will probably say they wish it didn't have a date because of the great Vintage vibe, but I have a hard time having watches without the date and I love the placement at 6. The date wheel is black with a white number that pops off the background. The date window is outlined in the same gilt color as the minute indices.

5. The case
    My initial impression of the case is extremely favorable. It has nice angles, lugs that taper down gently, satin brushed sides, a nice polished bevel , and then satin brushed on the top of the lugs. The lugs have holes in them for easy strap changing.

7. The bezel
    The bezel is relatively narrow which makes the dial pop more. It has a coin Edge to make it easier to grab, but the bezel is also not very deep and it's a little harder with my larger fingertips to grab onto it to turn. When it does turn, it's turned just a nice crisp sound where I feel every click very crisply. It stops perfectly centered at 12.

A few extra things ... the crown is slightly large and makes it is very easy to grasp. I find no issue with unscrewing and screwing back in. Pulling out the crown has some very satisfying clicks. Some watches you pull out the crown and you're not sure if it's in a new slot. This has a very obvious click and nicely stops in place. Winding feels very smooth, the case back is plain, a la Rolex and Tudor, with no decoration.

Overall impression:

My initial impression is that you would be hard-pressed to find a watch at this price point, under $400, I believe, to match its quality. The feel of the case, the quality of the dial, the finishing, the suppleness of each link on the bracelet, even though they are slightly thick. The solidness and click of the clasp, and maybe, overall, the best attribute is the way the domed acrylic crystal plays with the character of the watch.

I'm back an update after I've had a chance to wear the watch. It feels very comfortable and unobtrusive on the wrist.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by 41Mets; 1 Week Ago at 02:15.
    Glashütte Senator Sixties Panodate Green
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC
    Casio G-Shock full metal steel

Re: Lorier Hydra impressions

Those female end links combined with that taper almost make it look like an integrated bracelet.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by woiter View Post
    Those female end links combined with that taper almost make it look like an integrated bracelet.

Actually meant to say that the end link and the top link maybe don't connect as smoothly as they might be able to. It could just be the size of my wrist. I wouldn't say it's a negative impression, but it might be something that could be improved?

Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 41Mets View Post
    Actually meant to say that the end link and the top link maybe don't connect as smoothly as they might be able to. It could just be the size of my wrist. I wouldn't say it's a negative impression, but it might be something that could be improved?

Yeah looks like there is some room (for improvement) there. If they get the tolerances right, I wonder what it would look like with a flared out bracelet.

I agree with you on the subject of the indices. Very cool looking. I'm also not surprised it's hard to turn the bezel. Would you say it is hard enough to turn the bezel that it would be annoying if you were using the watch regularly for timing purposes?
    41Mets likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
    I agree with you on the subject of the indices. Very cool looking. I'm also not surprised it's hard to turn the bezel. Would you say it is hard enough to turn the bezel that it would be annoying if you were using the watch regularly for timing purposes?
    No. I'm playing with it right now as I read your post and I think it takes a little bit of feeling around where to turn it from. If I try to turn it from 6 and 12 it's hard to get a grip. If I start at 1:30 and 8:30, it's easier to turn.

Last edited by 41Mets; 1 Week Ago at 03:18.
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.
    Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC

I've owned this watch for about six months (?) and previous owned the Neptune. The bezel is somewhat hard to grip but it's by no means a deal breaker. I use it for timing on almost every occasion I wear the watch - maybe once/week or so - and never find myself particularly frustrated by the tactility and usability of the bezel. However, I have not worn it in wet or slippery conditions, where I imagine the somewhat thin coin edge might prove to be a PIA.

Could it be improved with a taller coin edge? Yes. Is it a deal breaker? Not by my standards.

I find the easiest placement for fingers/turning the bezel is with the thumb at 8:30 and the index finger at 1:30 or so.

Name:  F039F0AC-03D6-469B-B1A5-1E4625CF0581.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  274.6 KB
    Last edited by LosAngelesTimer; 1 Week Ago at 03:33.
    41Mets and ohhenry1 like this.

Heuer Autavia Heritage Caliber 02 Farer Lander GMT
    Oak & Oscar Jackson Oris Divers 65
    Junghans Meister Telemeter Seiko Turtle SRP777
    Longines Heritage Chronograph 1973 Seiko 6106-8100 Sports Diver
    Alpina ​Startimer Pilot Manufacture Lorier Hydra

@mookiewilson_thecat likes it

Triton Subphotique blue
    Ball Fireman NECC