Lost in reality - how some details change from pictures to reality.
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Lost in reality - how some details change from pictures to reality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lost in reality - how some details change from pictures to reality.

I've owned a Seamaster Professional for some four months now, and have noticed that some of the trademark details really only are noticable in pictures. This, specifically, is the "wavy dial" and the HEV valve, both of which are a prominent feature of nearly all photos of the watch (mine is the black variant), but when viewed on my wrist nearly disappear. The valve is something I was very sceptical about after seeing pictures on the watch, but it just sort of blends in with the rest of the watch, I hardly ever notice it. If the watch was taken away from me and I was asked to make a drawing of it, I would most likely forget to draw it! The waves on the dial, on the other hand, only really seem to stand out when I view it from certain angles, the dial seem flat black for the most of the time instead.

Attachment 1382049

Another watch were I was surprised to see the watch change appearance in real life was the Tudor Heritage Chronograph. Really surprised how such a fantastic looking watch could dissapoint me to such an extent! The entire dial just looks flat and boring, almost as if it was a piece of printed paper... In photos, lacking the three-dimensional aspect, it looks amazing, full of life, but on the wrist... A great dissapointment

How about you, experienced something similar? Any watches with hidden qualities or the opposite?

Re: Lost in reality - how some details change from pictures to reality.

Beware the genius of the professional photographer. If I can't see a watch I'm considering, I rely on WUS and other online "real" pictures to get a more complete perspective.

The Tudor Black bay for me. It looks big, bulky and too bright In an alarming amount of pictures . The reality is that the watch just doesn't lend itself well to pictures, especially wirst shots (hard to find a decent shot despite the fact it looks brilliant on wrist in real life). In person, it's quite slim (12mm), hidden by the blocky design of the profile, and the red is actually a dark dark burgundy which cameras rarely capture well. I tried one on at an AD and then immediately picked up the first one that popped up in Canada. No regrets.
    akasnowmaaan likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Splinter Faction View Post
    Beware the genius of the professional photographer. If I can't see a watch I'm considering, I rely on WUS and other online "real" pictures to get a more complete perspective.
    Indeed - lots of Photoshopping goes into pro shots to enhance the features

ed21x likes this.

Most microbrand divers. Looks great on the web but upon arrival, they were rather disappointing.
    X2-Elijah, Mark355 and ilitig8 like this.

Seiko has a remarkable ability to somehow make Grand Seikos look dull and flat in stock photography.
    Ottovonn and Seagull S6 like this.

I agree with you about the Seamaster, in the right light the dial is awesome, but mostly just a solid color. I too thought it would be distracting but in real life it's the cat's pajamas.

Born in South Korea - Canadian citizen - Living in Philly Suburb

Quote Originally Posted by Likestheshiny View Post
    Seiko has a remarkable ability to somehow make Grand Seikos look dull and flat in stock photography.
    I MUST agree!!

I saw the stock pic of snowflake and I was like, "A LOT of work went into photoshopping the watch to make it look bad..."

It isn't easy job, but I guess SOMEONE has to do it to make the brand even more exclusive. :)
    Ottovonn likes this.
    Chronic flipper...

The Ebel Classic 100. Ebel's photos are flat, two-dimensional, and artificial. In person, what looks plain in their photos comes to life with really modern touches on the traditional design.

Their picture:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403274718.448767.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  26.2 KB

My picture:

Rick "who always wants to see a watch in person" Denney
    Zenith: Captain Chronograph 03.2110.400*; Cartier: Santos 100 XL Concord: Mariner, C1 Big-Date, C1 v.2 Chronograph; Ebel: Chronosport 1134901, Tekton 9137L83*, Type E 9137C41* (*=COSC)
    Ebel: 1911 BTR 9137L73* and 9139L71*, 1911 1120L41*, 1911 Senior 9080241, Brasilias 9120M41 (2), Aquatica 500 9120K61, Classic Hexagon GMT 9301F61, Classic 100 LE 9120R41; Baume & Mercier: Capeland World-Timer
    Heuer: Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3110; Maurice Lacroix: Masterpiece MP6439; "Seagull": 1963 Reissue cal. ST19; Seiko: Black Monster SRP307; Poljot: Sturmanskie cal. 3133; Tissot: T-Touch Lew and Huey: Acciona
    Vintage: JLC: ref. 2953, ca. 1946; Longines: Flagship cal 285; Zodiac: SST cal. 86, Aerospace GMT cal. 72; Favre-Leuba: cal. 253; Tianjin: Dong Feng cal. ST5; Elgin: Gr. 152 (1898), Gr. 384 (1919); Ebel: ca. 1962 ref. 9214955
    WUS: ST5 Project Watches (Black and Blue), F72.2014.DG3804 (Gray and Cream); Swatch: Sistem 51 Blue; TNT: Rattrapante cal. Rochat 7750+RAT-1

Definitely agree on the SMP's He valve. Some folks make a big deal about it, but it really does get absorbed into the watch's overall presence on the wrist. Fits the character of the piece anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information