Loud ticking of B&M 8786

Thread: Loud ticking of B&M 8786

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loud ticking of B&M 8786

Hello,

First post for me but have been surfing the forums for years.

I bought a B&M 8786 from ashford.com. Beautiful watch. I really like it. EXCEPT for the loud ticking sound.

This is my first manual wind mechanical watch. So maybe this is normal? But when I wind up the watch, it ticks much louder than any of my automatics. So loud, I can hear it meteres away in my room, I can hear it when my wrist is by my hip, I can hear it over the sound of a car engine when I am driving. Others comment that it sounds like a time bomb. If you ignore it, it becomes background noise. But once you realize it's there, it's hard to ignore the ticking sound. I have heard from a few others that that might be normal for this watch?

Perhaps some echo effect? Or perhaps because it is skeletonized there is not as much sound insulation?

Can anyone who has owned this watch provide some input that that is the same for their 8786?

I want to kow if it is problem with just mine.

Otherwise, I love this watch!!!

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Ben

Re: Loud ticking of B&M 8786

WOW!! That sounds loud. Why don't you go to the nearest B&M Dealer and listen to his?
    Any watches posted may be seen as gifts,borrowed or found property and not as personal property of Little Big Feather.

The ticking is the escapement releasing one tooth at a time in rapid succession. It's normal and noticable if you bave good hearing. It can e amplified by the shape and size of the case and the
    aterial the watch is resting on.

That said for it to be audible over the sound of a car engine is amazing. Yes have it looked at.
    Last edited by John MS; August 29th, 2014 at 00:44.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Might be a combination of the following:

• Large, slow beating pocket watch movement

+

• Glass case back & minimal insulation

+

• Extremely keen hearing

+

• Attention fixated on issue

=

Last edited by GlennO; August 29th, 2014 at 02:40.

I can't hear watches tick anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    I can't hear watches tick anymore.
    Yeah...me too.

it's movement is based on a 6498 which is known to be a loud ticker. if you listen closely you can hear nont just the ticks but also a sort of more metallic ,higher pitched sound coming from it....and just for fun,try to put it down on a wooden nightstand or any other resonant box ( have you got an acoustic guitar? ).
    So , yes, i would say normal...all my 6497/98 can be heard when i drive my car.

I do like it,tough. It's constant companionship: if you focus on something else (while working,for instance) it disappears, but if you relax a little and free your mind your little friend is there, happily ticking away....

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Normal for Unitas. Sell it if you can't live with it.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thank you for all the replies. I just want to clarify a few things. It's not easy to just go into an AD for Baume and find this watch anymore as it's discontinued. I've checked a few to see if I could find one and then wind up theirs and see if the tick is as loud. But no luck so far. I don't want to get it serviced unnecessarily as I bought from non AD and there is no point to paying for shipping and servicing if there is nothing wrong with the watch. I can live with the loud ticking. I love this watch. I love the way it looks. I love the fact that I have to wind it everyday. I love being able to see all the complex parts move together. At the same time, I felt a little self-concious about the loud ticking because it was always a matter of time before someone I was talking to at work or elsewhere would look towards my watch and ask why it was ticking so loudly. I find the sound calming and since it is repetitive i can tune it out. But when I focus on it, and my hearing isn't any "keener" than anyone else here, it's really loud.

From the posts on here, it sounds like it's normal. Meaning for that movement and the materials of the case etc...it's not ticking loudly cause it's malfuntioning. It seems like that is the normal sound for that watch.

Again, to be clear, I really like the watch and want to keep it. I was just asking in case I needed to get it fixed.

Thank you again for all your replies.

People complain about TIMEX watches loud ticking which costs a fraction of what you paid .I find this hilarious.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information