Louis XVI Athos quartz
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Louis XVI Athos quartz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Louis XVI Athos quartz

I like this watch:

ATHOS l' argent bleu brun "Le Grand" saphir Swiss Made

But I can't figure out if the red seconds hand only operates in stopwatch mode or if it is the seconds hand during timekeeping mode.

Does anyone have this watch or does anyone know the answer to my question or does anyone have a good educated guess?

I appreciate any feedback.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Louis XVI Athos quartz

Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Man, I really like the watch, but I don't like "seconds hands" that only function in chrono mode...I would have bought this watch if it weren't for that...

Quote Originally Posted by bluecamowhite View Post
    Man, I really like the watch, but I don't like "seconds hands" that only function in chrono mode...I would have bought this watch if it weren't for that...
    To be frank... a proper chronograph is supposed to have a chrono central hand. Usually it's the cheapest of quartz chronographs that will have a running central hand, especially as subdial chrono is as practical as nipples on a breastplate.

PS I'd also look at different watches. Although a swiss one, this one is mixing Greek mythology w Louis XVI (although nothing in its style screams luxury to me), at an absolutely ridiculous pricepoint for that type of quartz watch. And w 48mm case I'd actually recommend an Invicta over this one.

PPS. As a matter of fact, you should look at Invicta Speedway - better dimensions, central running second hand (makes no sense to me w tachy scale, but you are looking for it) and $75 pricepoint which makes way more sense for this type of watch. And although Speedway copies Rolex Daytona, at least it's not calling itself Louis XVI :)
    OvrSteer likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Hmmm, I would really like to see if they come out with a 'Robespierre' model.

Quote Originally Posted by EnderW View Post
    To be frank... a proper chronograph is supposed to have a chrono central hand.
    Says who? Is there a memo out there on that?

Usually it's the cheapest of quartz chronographs that will have a running central hand, especially as subdial chrono is as practical as nipples on a breastplate.

PS I'd also look at different watches. Although a swiss one, this one is mixing Greek mythology w Louis XVI (although nothing in its style screams luxury to me), at an absolutely ridiculous pricepoint for that type of quartz watch. And w 48mm case I'd actually recommend an Invicta over this one.
    I really don't care what the model references- could be pvc pipe for all I care. I buy watches that I like. Maybe it is overpriced for what you get, but I like the way it looks- I just like it. I didn't notice that it was 48mm, which it too big for my tastes, so I do appreciate you pointing that out.

PPS. As a matter of fact, you should look at Invicta Speedway - better dimensions, central running second hand (makes no sense to me w tachy scale, but you are looking for it) and $75 pricepoint which makes way more sense for this type of watch. And although Speedway copies Rolex Daytona, at least it's not calling itself Louis XVI :)
    Again, I don't know what makes "Louis XVI" more ridiculous than "Daytona"; I like watches that have certain looks/features, etc. What their manufacturer calls them has no impact on my opinion, even though I do agree that "Louis XVI" is a little strange. I would rather have a watch that I like than a watch that has a reasonable name.

I appreciate your feedback, but you might want to consider that what you like is not right or proper or better- it's just a matter of preference.

Again, I don't know what makes "Louis XVI" more ridiculous than "Daytona"; I like watches that have certain looks/features, etc. What their manufacturer calls them has no impact on my opinion, even though I do agree that "Louis XVI" is a little strange. I would rather have a watch that I like than a watch that has a reasonable name.

I appreciate your feedback, but you might want to consider that what you like is not right or proper or better- it's just a matter of preference.
    I thought in posting here you were looking for advice. Pardon me.

But just to share facts rather than preferences:
    - Lous XVI chrono is 48mm diameter and 13mm thick.... quartz watch....
    - listed at 390 CHF... while same look from Wenger is $110 and from Invicta $99 (with same exact Ronda z60 movement)
    - Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were big fans of Abraham-Lousi Breguet. So I'd expect Breguet watches to share that connection. Not so much for a relatively new and unknown brand using generic quartz and favoring exposed balance wheels on their automatics.

To be frank... a proper chronograph is supposed to have a chrono central hand.
    Says who? Is there a memo out there on that?

- says common sense. And definition of a chronograph watch. Chronograph is intended to measure elapsed units of time with great precision - which is why it is normally a central hand. On a subdial - chronograph is useless since you won't be able to record time accurately or reference it easily. Simple example - timing a lap on subdial hand that will definitely not have 60 markers... So no there is no memo... but that is what chronograph is supposed to be.

But by all means, buy this one. And again - deepest apologies for offering advice on your thread, which I must have misread as asking for advice.
    Last edited by EnderW; November 12th, 2017 at 02:28.
    OvrSteer likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Actually, i was just asking if the red hand was a seconds hand in timekeeping mode. I do appreciate your input on the watch; after considering your input, I agree the watch is overpriced for what you get and kind of clownish. Just as you made some valuable observations about the watch, I was trying to be helpful with the demeanor of your response. Don't be offended. If my reply was appropriate, try to learn from it; if not, feel free to ignore it.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Actually, i was just asking if the red hand was a seconds hand in timekeeping mode. I do appreciate your input on the watch; after considering your input, I agree the watch is overpriced for what you get and kind of clownish. Just as you made some valuable observations about the watch, I was trying to be helpful with the demeanor of your response. Don't be offended. If my reply was appropriate, try to learn from it; if not, feel free to ignore it.

Thanks again for your feedback.
    Thanks for the lecture. Actually you invited to discuss...

Man, I really like the watch, but I don't like "seconds hands" that only function in chrono mode...I would have bought this watch if it weren't for that..
    ...if you do not like the posts just skip and learn.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; November 12th, 2017 at 09:53.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information