Low-mid priced chronos

Thread: Low-mid priced chronos

Low-mid priced chronos

Have been asked to recommend a low-priced (£500-£750) mechanical chronograph for a friend. I know the stock WIS answer is "second-hand Speedmaster" but he won't be interested in something used (it's to celebrate a new job - he wants new only). I have three or four in mind - Hamilton X-wind or Field chrono, Sinn 303, or one of the new Longines Sport Collection chronos. Hamiltons are available in only five locations across the whole of the UK and I've only ever handled a Jazzmaster, which seemed like great value for money. I know little about Sinn's watches (except for the ones they rebadged for B&R) and of their current range, the 303 seems the most conventional.

Can anyone comment on ownership of either of the Hamiltons or the 303, and would anyone have any info on pricing for the Longines? Thanks in advance.

stuffler,mike

Re: Low-mid priced chronos

If a Sinn chrono is within reach I'd go for the Sinn 103 which offers an excellent price-ratio. The Archimede Flieger chrono is the one I'd recommend if a low priced chrono is required. The Hamilton Khaki Field chrono , ref. H71456553, looks a bit conventional imho. If Hamilton I'd go for the Khaki Frogman Auto Chrono.

Never seen the Longines.

I can personally attest to the quality of the Volmax (Aviator, etc) chronos. I have an Avaitor II myself. All use either the proven 3133 (has been in space multiple times) or the complication 31681, both of which are an improved version of the Valjoux 7734, which was used in several Brietlings of yesteryear. The aesthetics of the different models have varrying appeal, but I found several that are quite nice. The Russian manufacture can be a turn off for some, but these watches are built on Swiss machinery and to Swiss quality standards (plus, they're covered by an extensive, no nonsense warranty). "A Russian clock is never wrong," as they say.

As an aside, the luminescent numerals are the brightest I've seen on any watch. The case and crystal are all but impervious to dinks and scratches (I've tripped and the crystal struck a steel pipe with nearly all my weight behind it, and not only did it not shatter, but it didn't leave a mark of any kind). This is quite the opposite of watches such as the Speedmaster Professional, which is a remarkable piece, but has a crystal (polycarb) that just begs to be marred up. An Aviator or Sturmansk can be had for around 400 Sterling, and perhaps much less. This watch is in the same leauge as examples going for two to three times the price. They make great "daily drivers." I highly suggest you give them a look. Volmax Watches
    Last edited by HowardHughes; June 4th, 2007 at 18:56.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks both. The Sinn looks interesting but with no bricks-n-mortar dealers it's hard to check them out first. There's an outlet in Madrid but from here it's a long way to go just for a browse!

You cant go wrong with a Hamilton X-Wind or a Hamilton Kahki Field Chrono. I own the Khaki Field and I love it. Hamilton isn't real big right now so you can get them at good prices. I think they are great value for the money and very underrated.

I noticed that Limes has a nice looking chrono at 1100 or so US. I am not sure what is under the hood but the pics looked quite nice.

scott

I believe that Oris has a few chrono models in that price range. Good brand with a respectable company history.

I don't know much about their overall quality, but Chase-Durer makes Valjoux based chronos for under $1K.
    Charlie

DeVille Prestige 4800.31.01
    Seamaster, 1961, Gold, Cal. 500
    Seamaster Pro 2231.80
    Speedmaster 3523.30
    Speedmaster Pro 3570.50

keep your eyes open for bargains from retail sellers as well as eBay. I paid from $450 to $700 for these watches new.

Thread Information