Loyal Conqueror Automatic Dive Watch Review
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Loyal Conqueror Automatic Dive Watch Review

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loyal Conqueror Automatic Dive Watch Review

Some of you may have seen my previous thread, here, in which I asked for opinions on two potential beater watches. After originally going with the consensus, I ran into problems as the Seiko 5 watch had issues with the calendar function. Thus I returned the faulty watch, and rather than wait four to six weeks to get it repaired under warranty, I replaced it with this watch, which I have been asked by ColinW to share my thoughts on. As this is my first review, please let me know if there are any oversights and things I can improve on. I know the pictures aren't great, my phone camera is all I have at present!
    Name:  24J710.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  47.8 KB

I am sure that many of you have not heard of the brand Loyal, and with good reason. Loyal was started in 1934 by the CEO of Wallace Bishop Jewellers, an Australian family owned company, who today also own the prestigious jewellery firm Hardy Brothers. Loyal watches are exclusive to Wallace Bishop, and thus they are a private label company. Loyal watches are specifically designed to stand up to the Australian climate, and I believe they are assembled in Australia using Ronda quartz, and Miyota automatic and quartz movements.

The watch itself features
    • 300m≈1000ft water resistance
    • Measuring 42mm across without the crown (46mm with the crown), 13.5mm thick, 52mm lug-to-lug, 22mm lug width.
    • Stainless steel case and solid bracelet (both links and end links), brushed throughout excluding the sides of the lugs, which are mirror polished.
    • Aluminium bezel with hemispherical raised lume pip, unidirectional and 120 clicks.
    • Flat, beveled edge mineral crystal
    • Fully illuminated dial and hands
    • Miyota 9015 movement. When I heard from the store manager that they used Miyota automatic movements, I assumed that it would be an 8215, maybe an 8245 if I was lucky. However I can gladly confirm that this one is beating at the same rate as my ETA 2824-2 powered watch.

Name:  IMG_4767.JPG
Views: 449
Size:  167.5 KB

The design (and name!) is heavily influenced by the Longines Hydroconquest. However, there are subtle differences from the Longines Hydroconquest which make the Loyal Conqueror more of a tool diver, such as the lumed tip of the second hand, and the bezel teeth which go all the way around it's circumference. The bezel itself looks to me more like the one on the Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean rather than a Longines. As a side note, I'm usually not a fan of Arabic numerals, preferring Roman Numerals or plain bar/stick markers. However I quite like dials with Arabic numerals at the quadrants, which in a diver remind me a little of the Rolex Reference 6200 Explorer Dial Submariner.

Name:  IMG_4772.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  230.8 KB

As I have previously only owned watches with leather straps, I'll review the bracelet with my general opinions and thoughts without getting too detailed. The bracelet is extremely solid, at least to my untrained eye. The links, which taper from 22mm at the lugs to 20mm at the buckle, are made from solid, milled steel. I am lead to believe this is increasingly common in lower priced watches, but still somewhat unusual for an AUD$200 watch. The links are held in place with screws. There are two half links on either side of the solid buckle, which is either made from very thick sheet metal, or milled from solid stock and is engraved with the Loyal monogram.

So far, the movement seems extremely robust. The date flicks to the next day at 11:59:40 PM. I have heard that ETA 2824-2 movements can have rather fragile handwinding, however I have heard no reports of problems in handwinding Miyota movements. I've had the watch less than 24 hours but so far it seems to be running ever so slightly fast, less than 10 seconds in 24 hours would be my guess.

I hope you have enjoyed my review; I believe this is the first Loyal watch review on here. Perhaps other Australians on here can chime in with their experience with the brand as well.

Cheers!
    TimeWizard
    Last edited by TimeWizard; January 12th, 2014 at 02:02.
    ColinW and CitizenM like this.

Re: Loyal Conqueror Automatic Dive Watch Review

Never heard of it. Did a quick Google search and found that these are available for under $200 in Australia.

https://wallacebishop.com.au/products/24J710
    TimeWizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro66 View Post
    Never heard of it. Did a quick Google search and found that these are available for under $200 in Australia.

https://wallacebishop.com.au/products/24J710
    That is correct. Your point?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by TimeWizard View Post
    That is correct. Your point?
    Looks like a good price. Just thought people would like to know. Price and availability are important and reviews are not just meant to show off, but to help others make smart purchases.
    TimeWizard and skorN83 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro66 View Post
    Looks like a good price. Just thought people would like to know. Price and availability are important and reviews are not just meant to show off, but to help others make smart purchases.
    Ah, I misinterpreted your post. My fault! Cheers for providing the link. According to the store manager, these retailed for $750 originally, but as the model isn't listed on the Loyal Website I can't confirm that. My guess is that the model is a few years old and they're clearing out the last few left in stock.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Should be posted in our review forum for later reference.....
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Should be posted in our review forum for later reference.....
    Thanks for the heads up. Any mods out there to move this to a more appropriate forum?

Nice review, thanks!

Watch looks good too! I hope it holds up well for you.
    TimeWizard likes this.

Good review, thanks for posting it. It is always interesting to read about national or local watch brands not seen on WUS. I think that brand would find a following outside your country if it proclaimed it's origin: Made in Australia. Few watches can make that claim.
    Last edited by John MS; January 10th, 2014 at 18:13.
    TimeWizard likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinW View Post
    Nice review, thanks!

Watch looks good too! I hope it holds up well for you.
    You're welcome! I'll admit I was never really sure what all the fuss was about with dive watches. But now I own one I can definitely say their style has grown on me. It definitely looks and feels more robust than any of my dress watches.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    Good review, thanks for posting it. It is always interesting to read about national or local watch brands not seen on WUS. I think that brand would find a following outside your country if it proclaimed it's origin: Made in Australia. Few watches can make that claim.
    There are a handful of local brands, perhaps better known in Australia than abroad, such as OWC (formerly the Orange Watch Company), Melbourne Watch Company, Adina, Classique, and of course Loyal. I haven't had much hands on experience with most of these brands, but I can vouch for Adina watches, which seem to be quite popular in Australia; my father owns two and my grandfather owns one, and I spot them on wrists nearly every day. A quick Google search reveals they are assembled and hand finished in Australia from parts supplied by Candino. But I digress. Australian manufacturing is definitely something worth promoting! Makes them a bit unique among many Swiss, Japanese, and Chinese watches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information