Loyalty to a brand??
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Loyalty to a brand??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Loyalty to a brand??

Hi all,

My collection includes several "decent" time pieces. I have an Omega, a Longines, a few hamiltons and tag heuer. I think my wife is ready (after quite a bit of negotiations) to let me make my next purchase. Now, I do have the funds to purchase a lower end or pre-owned rolex which I had always wanted. However, as I puruse the website, read watch time and learn more about watches, there is such a great selection to choose from. My question is how does one become loyal to a brand with so many manufacturers to choose from? I love my Speed Master but that does not make me feel the need to get another Omega. I want to get a Bremont or an IWC or something other than what I have. I see memebers posting their collections and they have 10 omega's or 8 differnet frogmen or whatever it maybe. I am just finding it hard to want to buy from a manufacturer that I already own. Just like my Omega, I really appreciate and love wearing my Longines but I dont want to buy another Longines.

How do you guys feel? Do you stick with what you have and know and like? Or do you expand, explore and experiment??/
    sl7vk likes this.

Re: Loyalty to a brand??

Every collector/enthusiast is different. That's what makes this hobby so great! Some people collect a particular brand, some a particular style, some a particular model of a particular brand... The best watch collection is that one that's full of watches YOU love.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

Banned

You aren't a collector - you're an enthusiast. Collectors are driven to complete a set of something, like I'm working on all the in-house automatic calibers Longines made from their inception in 1945 to their last in the mid 70's. You seem to want a variety of nice watches that you appreciate which is perfectly fine. Go for it - and my recommendation is to buy a pre-owned Rolex. As long as you don't overpay you'll get your money back on most of their models. If you like it, keep it. If not, at least you found out first hand that Rolex wasn't up your alley and you scratched the itch. Then you can go purchase something different.

...and post pictures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bakesman View Post
    Hi all,

My collection includes several "decent" time pieces. I have an Omega, a Longines, a few hamiltons and tag heuer. I think my wife is ready (after quite a bit of negotiations) to let me make my next purchase. Now, I do have the funds to purchase a lower end or pre-owned rolex which I had always wanted. However, as I puruse the website, read watch time and learn more about watches, there is such a great selection to choose from. My question is how does one become loyal to a brand with so many manufacturers to choose from? I love my Speed Master but that does not make me feel the need to get another Omega. I want to get a Bremont or an IWC or something other than what I have. I see memebers posting their collections and they have 10 omega's or 8 differnet frogmen or whatever it maybe. I am just finding it hard to want to buy from a manufacturer that I already own. Just like my Omega, I really appreciate and love wearing my Longines but I dont want to buy another Longines.

How do you guys feel? Do you stick with what you have and know and like? Or do you expand, explore and experiment??/
    The problem is that you really like watches, and haven't bought into brand marketing/image/prestige or whatever you'd like to call it.
    I'm with you.
    I take every watch on its merits not on the name on the dial.

I scratch my head when people say they won't buy Japense or German, or Swatch Group or whatever you'd like....
    Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post
    You aren't a collector - you're an enthusiast. Collectors are driven to complete a set of something, like I'm working on all the in-house automatic calibers Longines made from their inception in 1945 to their last in the mid 70's. You seem to want a variety of nice watches that you appreciate which is perfectly fine. Go for it - and my recommendation is to buy a pre-owned Rolex. As long as you don't overpay you'll get your money back on most of their models. If you like it, keep it. If not, at least you found out first hand that Rolex wasn't up your alley and you scratched the itch. Then you can go purchase something different.

...and post pictures.
    +1! My first real watch was a Rolex. You gotta at least try it once in a lifetime! You like all of your watches even though they differ in brand. So try another brand so long as you get a watch that you really like. If it turns out that you don't like it, trade it out. There's always a market for them. Or if you go Bremont or IWC, hell they make beautiful stuff. If you like the watch-that's what counts!

lvt

I think I'm loyalty to Casio, I wore several Casio watches and had many Casio pocket calculators in the past :P
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by ulackfocus View Post

...and post pictures.
    +1

I collect coins...I have a complete set of Statehood Quarters, one coin away from finishing a set of Ike dollars, and am working on several other sets.

I have a "collection" of watches, but no complete sets of any one watch series or family. I buy what interests me, whether it's a particular design, or because of its history, or maybe it has a complication that I think is pretty neat. I've discovered I seem to have an affinity toward divers and chronographs (I have seven diver-styled watches, and my 8th chrono is on order), but I have several other models and styles as well.

Go out and look at a lot of watches, and see which ones stick in your mind...regardless of whether you already have something that looks similar to it. That is where your interests are, and those will be the watches that will bring you the most pleasure as you continue with this hobby. In the end, that's really what it's all about.

And do post pictures!

Mike
    Last edited by mjbernier; March 9th, 2011 at 06:08.

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

This might be a good point to slow down and try things on your wrist at "brick-and-morter" shops, to learn what attracts you. Asking here, you'll find someone saying "Rolex - for resale value" or "Zenith - real movement development" or "JLC - more prestige and in-house" or whatever... Take all those voices in and look at things on your wrist and find what converges. It's like buying a car but IT LASTS LONGER. How cool is that?

Having just written that, I admit to a different tactic - I have been buying occasional affordables for many years, and I'm still trying to learn what I like enough to pay thousands for. Haven't found it yet, but that's just me. YMMD.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Personally I'm a bit all over the place. I collect, along a few different themes, but I also buy interesting stuff that doesn't fit into any of my collecting themes. I find it hard to form a judgement about a watch or brand without direct experience beyond what you can get in a jewelry store try on.

When people tout one brand or watch over another I always wonder how much experience they have with other brands or competing watches. The differences are pretty subtle and pretty personal in my opinion. It is way too easy to buy into the marketing hype of a manufacturer and become a brand fan, which of course is what each brand spends their marketing dollars trying to get people to do.

Yep, kinda partial to Nivrel, got 3.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information