Lug to lug a more important measurement?
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Lug to lug a more important measurement?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I have a modest Orient Mako which I love and get a ton of use out of. I have a skinny 6.5 inch wrist and I like the way it fits on me. The diameter of the watch is 41.5mm. A lot of forum favorite dive watches ( Tudor Black Bay, Chr Ward C60, Steinharts etc ) measure 42mm, so one might think, "hmmm, if 41.5mm fits me well, then 42mm should too. 0.5mm is tiny right?" I noticed, however, that these watches look rather large in a lot of on-wrist photos. Lug to lug, the Mako measures 46.5mm while these other watches measure around 50mm. That's a big difference. And in looking at my collection I see that 47mm is about the max I can get away with.

You see many really nice 42mm watches out there and it is tempting to think that that size is for everyone, but if you have a wrist on the small side, check the lug to lug measurement. The case diameter is almost always given in the specs but the lug to lug length usually takes more digging but I think it tells you a bit more about how the watch is going to fit.

Any thoughts on this?
    watermanxxl, slcbbrown and frogles like this.

Yeah besides diameter I think lug to lug and lug width play a large part in how watches wear. I think if lugs are overhanging on your wrist, then the watch is too bigl. I've also noticed that going from the same diameter watch but different lug width(22-20mm) makes a huge difference on how the watch wears and feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ard likes this.

Re: Lug to lug a more important measurement?

Lug to lug, and lug shape (angled vs flatter) can make a difference in how a watch will fit.
    Ard likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Short answer to the question in the title... yes! As owner of a small wrist, I absolutely believe it is.
    Ard and Dufresne like this.

Yes. I wish it was mandatory for sellers to list the lug to lug measurement. It would save me a lot of time searching.

I think lug to lug is potentially a more important measure - it will dictate whether or not I can wear it. The diameter will dictate how it will look.

I've sold a few watches for being too long lug to lug, but I've also sold watches which were fine lug to lug bit too wide in diameter
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445119714.832040.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  533.7 KB
    shelfcompact, fld and Dufresne like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    I think lug to lug is potentially a more important measure - it will dictate whether or not I can wear it. The diameter will dictate how it will look.

That's a great way of putting it.

Lug to lug doesn't matter until the diameter starts filling your wrist, IMO. If a 40mm looks OK on your wrist...I'm not talking about whether the lugs overhang, just the visual of the case on your wrist...but bigger becomes mismatched, then with a 36-37mm case, it probably won't matter. 38...maybe. 39 and 40, yeah, lug to lug will be important.

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Great point OP. I possess a smaller wrist @ 6.75, I've bought and sold almost all of them over 40mm. One of the biggest offenders is the Steinhart, I still have a O1V that I absolutely love to look at yet every time it's on my wrist find the flat lugs extend right to the end of the arm. The only 42mm watch I find fits is the 47mm (l to l) Seiko diver, the lugs curve downward and fit quite well.

Find watches from 36mm to 40mm fit the best on my puny wrist. Also find a bracelet on watches - particularly 39 and over - are uncomfortable. I prefer leather or NATO for an optimum fit.

Mi dos pesos,

frasito
    Last edited by fastfras; October 18th, 2015 at 05:57.
    Ard and Dufresne like this.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster automatic 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, Omega Geneve F300 198.030 Hummer, Omega Seamaster F300 198.001 Hummer, Heuer Autavia chronograph, Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist SBQJ017 perpetual calendar GMT 8F56, JeanRichard Highlands 24004.

I definitely think that the lug-to-lug is an important measurement in estimating fit, probably the most important in my experience.
    Dufresne, John MS and fastfras like this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information