Lum-Tec Combat B17 oscillating weight fell off

Thread: Lum-Tec Combat B17 oscillating weight fell off

So, today I took my Lum-Tec Combat B17 off the watch winder and while I'm wearing it it's making a very bizarre sound like something is rattling around inside it. Fortunately, due to the see through case back I can see that the oscillating weight has fallen off it's post. This is shocking to me and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar.

Re: Lum-Tec Combat B17 oscillating weight fell off

I've owned several automatic watches and never had a rotor become disconnected from the movement. Certainly is possible though. I believe your watch uses a good quality Miyota (Citizen) movement. If it is new then send it back under warranty. If it is used a watch repairman should be able to set it straight at minimal cost.

Thanks John. I found a watch repair place in town that was recommended on another WUS thread. I gave him a call and he said it "should" be a simple repair costing in the $20 to $50 range. I just find it amazing that something like this could happen but that's life I guess. Interestingly, when speaking to the repair guy (he's been repairing watches for 35 years he says) he was quite negative about the Miyota movements saying that they were made by Citizen and were quite inferior to almost any swiss made automatic movement. That's a whole other debate I suppose but combined with this experience it does make me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I've owned several automatic watches and never had a rotor become disconnected from the movement. Certainly is possible though. I believe your watch uses a good quality Miyota (Citizen) movement. If it is new then send it back under warranty. If it is used a watch repairman should be able to set it straight at minimal cost.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My watch with a Swiss 7750 had an unattached rotor as a result of the shearing of the screw head of its retaining screw - probably due to a strong shock prior to my possession of the watch.

The rotor is a heavy weight held by a tiny screw. I'd be reluctant to impugn any manufacturer due to a single instance of failure.

Yes, that's certainly a fair statement.

Quote Originally Posted by ak415 View Post
    My watch with a Swiss 7750 had an unattached rotor as a result of the shearing of the screw head of its retaining screw - probably due to a strong shock prior to my possession of the watch.

The rotor is a heavy weight held by a tiny screw. I'd be reluctant to impugn any manufacturer due to a single instance of failure.

Thread Information