Is Lum-Tec a respected brand amongst watch snobs?
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Is Lum-Tec a respected brand amongst watch snobs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Lum-Tec a respected brand amongst watch snobs?

Hi guys, I have 2 Lum-Tecs on the way. A Bull 45 A13 and a Combat B5, these will be my very first Lum-Tecs and I am very stoked! I was just wondering what do people around here think about Lum-Tec as a brand? I realize that Lum-Tec watches aren't in no way super high end like Rolex or Omega. However if you saw a young man wearing one would you give him a handshake or would you point and laugh? Would you personally wear one? Yes I'm talking to you as well, Patek and Vacheron owners.

Re: Is Lum-Tec a respected brand amongst watch snobs?

I preordered one of their bronze models, but cancelled due to delays and the fact that I thought they were just a tad overpriced.

But that doesn't mean I don't think they're cool. I love that they've worked hard at their lume technology, contributing something to the world of horology. They're American-based, and their designs are aggressive, yet look backward a little to pilots/instruments/tactical watches. My understanding is that they have great customer service and customer relations. While most of their designs are just on the big side for me, and many of the movements they use aren't the top-top of the heap, I would certainly congratulate anyone I met on the street wearing a Lum-Tec.

(But my most expensive watch to date is a $600 Steinhart. So that that for what it's worth.)

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Christopher Ward C65 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero"

Banned

we would mockingly point and laugh as we wave our "rollies" from side to side screaming "how you like them apples!"

lol!! j/k
    Last edited by Memphis1; September 17th, 2013 at 22:49.
    little big feather and Donf like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't know about respect, but they are not a watch lots of people that I know talk about.

They are good watches and if you like them you should buy them. However to sum it up with one word to explain why they aren't more popular......OVERPRICED. They use affordable movements in their watches and charge close to one grand. Not to mention their quartz watches are also extremely expensive. There are way too many good watches in the price range to consider over a lum-tec for current prices. If they ever make their prices more realistic, I will probably buy one again.
    Last edited by sk412; September 17th, 2013 at 23:37.
    tinknocker and francobollo like this.

They offer a variety of watches and I respect what they make and offer. The owner Chris Wiegand is also a great person to deal with. One thing I like about them is that they are willing to customize the watch for you if they have spare parts. They used to sell spare parts and also their luminous powder as well, probably not any more. I bought some a few years ago.

If I had to criticize their watches, I find the hands (minute & second) both too short for the dial size on their M-series watches. I am sure that I'm not the only one. Lume is great, but Seiko also has great lume.

Bottom line I think they make pretty good watches, and if I saw anyone in the wild wearing one, I'd shake his hands.

They're what I think of as a psuedo-tactical watch forum brand. They're designed to look ultra butch and they market the watches on their supposedly amazing lume... But they're not actually as bright as Seiko divers:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/lum-...me-553956.html

An SKX007 or Monster or BKF is about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of an equivalent Lumtec and they're design classics in their own right. The Lumtecs are arguably less watch, jump around from trying to copy Sinns to Panerai to Bell & Ross - and just don't look as good as the Seikos:

The Seikos, especially the SKX007, just look so much more classic and less "look at me."

I suppose the LumTecs do come with sapphire crystals, but $50 will fix that for the Seikos. Anything else in the LumTecs favour... the 7 and the Monster don't hack. By the time you pay for a Seiko that does hack - and handwind - you're probably at LumTec prices. (Although handwinding is pretty pointless with an auto as efficient as the Seikos.)

That said, compared to a U-Boat or a real B&R, the Lumtecs are probably great value. And I think they have a strong rep for aftersales service?
    Last edited by scuttle; September 18th, 2013 at 00:00.

Quote Originally Posted by sk412 View Post
    They are good watches and if you like them you should buy them. However to sum it up with one word to explain why they aren't more popular......OVERPRICED. They use affordable movements in their watches and charge close to one grand. Not to mention their quartz watches are also extremely expensive.
    If anyone wants a quartz with amazing lume, look for one of the Lorus models with a full lume face. I got mine (in the UK) for about $40 and the lume is full-on Seiko diver quality... but there is much, much more of it. The watch throws shadows when freshly juiced. Has a classic Brit Mil G10 look, and generally feels like it should cost much more money:

Name:  CIMG1318.3.jpeg
Views: 2329
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  CIMG1334.JPG
Views: 2319
Size:  164.9 KB

Hah hah, ho,ho,hah,ho, hee. No! Stop - you're killing me! REALLY, a Lum Tech???? How about and "Abner Tech" fer ta other side??? Hah hah

C'mon man, if you like it, screw me and what I think. Personally, they aren't my style, but if I see nothing to laugh at other than that you seem to have awfully thin skin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Lum-Tec isn't a main stream brand so definite props in my book. You'll never impress everyone on this forum. As long as you're happy with your time pieces that's all that matters.
    Sinn 756, Jaeger Lecoultre Grande Reverso 976, Panerai 351N, Steinhart Mark II LE Chronograph [XX/20], 79' Rolex Tudor Submariner "Snowflake" Ref 94110, Bernhardt Officer, WUS Project Tourbillon, Citizens and Seikos etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast