Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By falcon4311

Thread: Lume brightness vs. watch face/dial color?

Lume brightness vs. watch face/dial color?

So if your goal is maximum lume brightness (where super luminova or tritium tubes), how much does the color of the watches dial/face come in to play? For example if you have identical watches, one with a black face and one with a white face and both have green tritium tubes. Will the lume appear brighter on the black dial watch vs. the white one? Or will it be the same brightness on both? Thanks for any advice.

Re: Lume brightness vs. watch face/dial color?

It won't change a thing.
    ck40711 likes this.

VIEW MY SALES FEEDBACK>>>>HERE

/¯¯l¯¯¯l¯¯[_\__\]
    l¯¯ l¯¯¯l¯¯¯L-_O|||||||O_
    ¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯¯()_)¯¯¯¯¯()_)

This is a guess, but I think the apparent brightness of each dot or tube would be the same. But the apparent overall brightness will probably be on the white face. You'll see more of the face, and some of the lume light will be reflected back to you.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My opinion (take it for what you paid for it) is that in total darkness they would be equal, but, in "twilight 'type viewing the darker would appear to be easier to read because of increased contrast versus the white dial which would reflect some ambient light.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Donf View Post
    My opinion (take it for what you paid for it) is that in total darkness they would be equal, but, in "twilight 'type viewing the darker would appear to be easier to read because of increased contrast versus the white dial which would reflect some ambient light.
    You and I are thinking the same. I posted the forum just to see what others thought, but I tend to agree with your thoughts. It seems like the more contrast between the markers and the dial, the brighter/clearer the lume might appear.

I have found that if it's dark enough for the lume to come into play the dial colour makes little or no difference.

Thread Information