Lume charging?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lume charging?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26
  1. #1
    Member westcoasttiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    69

    Lume charging?

    I've heard guys who put a torch to their lume at activate it if you're not outdoors. If one knows they're going for a dive or just going out for the evening, in your experience, how long does it take to charge lume from a lamp? I was wondering if there is a cutoff where any more light doesn't do any more good. Thanks.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

  2. #2
    Member RichieP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    161

    Re: Lume charging?

    Ha! There's an ad for what is apparently the brightest 2AA powered LED flashlight right under your post (at least at the time I am typing this).

    Anyway, I sometimes charge my watch by holding it up to the 60 watt lightbulb in my lamp right before shutting it off and hitting the hay. I haven't done any really careful testing, but I think about 3 seconds of charging make it about as bright as it gets.

    By my (probably flawed) understanding of the physics of how lume works, I would expect there must be a point at which there are as many electrons returning to lower energy states there are becoming excited, so the lume won't get any brighter after that point.

  3. #3
    Moderator Public Forum John MS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    21,251

    Re: Lume charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by westcoasttiger View Post
    I've heard guys who put a torch to their lume at activate it if you're not outdoors. If one knows they're going for a dive or just going out for the evening, in your experience, how long does it take to charge lume from a lamp? I was wondering if there is a cutoff where any more light doesn't do any more good. Thanks.
    Somewhere around 30 seconds seems to work well for my watches. A table lamp or any direct light source should provide plenty of energy quickly.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member twall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    WNY, USA
    Posts
    278

    Re: Lume charging?

    I've noticed that if I hold it under a CFL, it takes about 30 seconds to get a long-lasting lume. Under an incandesent, about 15 seconds. Under direct sun (if you're going for a dive) about 5 seconds.

    Sunlight seems to give the best, longest lasting, brightest lume. Maybe it has to do with radiation........

  6. #5
    Member Spit161's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    5,873

    Re: Lume charging?

    For instant bright lume, try a halogen ( or similar ) lamp for 30 - 50 seconds.

    cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.


    "When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."



  7. #6
    Member lysanderxiii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"
    Posts
    8,842

    Re: Lume charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    I've noticed that if I hold it under a CFL, it takes about 30 seconds to get a long-lasting lume. Under an incandesent, about 15 seconds. Under direct sun (if you're going for a dive) about 5 seconds.

    Sunlight seems to give the best, longest lasting, brightest lume. Maybe it has to do with radiation........
    Wavelength.

    Shorter wavelengths carry more energy....
    Metlin likes this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

  8. #7
    Member oRAirwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    720

    Re: Lume charging?

    If I want to supercharge my lume, I hold my Surefire G2 w/ Cree LED conversion up to the watch face for about 3 seconds. Makes it absurdly bright....way brighter than the sun can make it.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,268

    Re: Lume charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by oRAirwolf View Post
    If I want to supercharge my lume, I hold my Surefire G2 w/ Cree LED conversion up to the watch face for about 3 seconds. Makes it absurdly bright....way brighter than the sun can make it.
    Sounds like a great flashlight, but doesn't that depend on how close your watch is to the sun....or how focused the suns rays are on the watch? :p

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Re: Lume charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by oRAirwolf View Post
    If I want to supercharge my lume, I hold my Surefire G2 w/ Cree LED conversion up to the watch face for about 3 seconds. Makes it absurdly bright....way brighter than the sun can make it.

    Exactly what I do! (even the same light)

  11. #10
    Member oRAirwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    720

    Re: Lume charging?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    Sounds like a great flashlight, but doesn't that depend on how close your watch is to the sun....or how focused the suns rays are on the watch? :p
    Well, I suppose if I had a parabolic reflector dish and focused the sun's light directly onto my watch face, it might charge it a little more. I find my G2 much more practical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •