Lume charging?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lume charging?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lume charging?

I've heard guys who put a torch to their lume at activate it if you're not outdoors. If one knows they're going for a dive or just going out for the evening, in your experience, how long does it take to charge lume from a lamp? I was wondering if there is a cutoff where any more light doesn't do any more good. Thanks.
    "A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: Lume charging?

Ha! There's an ad for what is apparently the brightest 2AA powered LED flashlight right under your post (at least at the time I am typing this).

Anyway, I sometimes charge my watch by holding it up to the 60 watt lightbulb in my lamp right before shutting it off and hitting the hay. I haven't done any really careful testing, but I think about 3 seconds of charging make it about as bright as it gets.

By my (probably flawed) understanding of the physics of how lume works, I would expect there must be a point at which there are as many electrons returning to lower energy states there are becoming excited, so the lume won't get any brighter after that point.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoasttiger View Post
    I've heard guys who put a torch to their lume at activate it if you're not outdoors. If one knows they're going for a dive or just going out for the evening, in your experience, how long does it take to charge lume from a lamp? I was wondering if there is a cutoff where any more light doesn't do any more good. Thanks.
    Somewhere around 30 seconds seems to work well for my watches. A table lamp or any direct light source should provide plenty of energy quickly.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I've noticed that if I hold it under a CFL, it takes about 30 seconds to get a long-lasting lume. Under an incandesent, about 15 seconds. Under direct sun (if you're going for a dive) about 5 seconds.

Sunlight seems to give the best, longest lasting, brightest lume. Maybe it has to do with radiation........

For instant bright lume, try a halogen ( or similar ) lamp for 30 - 50 seconds.

cheers.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Quote Originally Posted by twall View Post
    I've noticed that if I hold it under a CFL, it takes about 30 seconds to get a long-lasting lume. Under an incandesent, about 15 seconds. Under direct sun (if you're going for a dive) about 5 seconds.

Sunlight seems to give the best, longest lasting, brightest lume. Maybe it has to do with radiation........
    Wavelength.

Shorter wavelengths carry more energy....
    Metlin likes this.
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

If I want to supercharge my lume, I hold my Surefire G2 w/ Cree LED conversion up to the watch face for about 3 seconds. Makes it absurdly bright....way brighter than the sun can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by oRAirwolf View Post
    If I want to supercharge my lume, I hold my Surefire G2 w/ Cree LED conversion up to the watch face for about 3 seconds. Makes it absurdly bright....way brighter than the sun can make it.
    Sounds like a great flashlight, but doesn't that depend on how close your watch is to the sun....or how focused the suns rays are on the watch? :p

Quote Originally Posted by oRAirwolf View Post

Exactly what I do! (even the same light)

Quote Originally Posted by bigvatch View Post
    Sounds like a great flashlight, but doesn't that depend on how close your watch is to the sun....or how focused the suns rays are on the watch? :p
    Well, I suppose if I had a parabolic reflector dish and focused the sun's light directly onto my watch face, it might charge it a little more. I find my G2 much more practical.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information