Luminox 3001 Fogging in Cold Weather

Thread: Luminox 3001 Fogging in Cold Weather

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Luminox 3001 Fogging in Cold Weather

Hi Folks,
    I wonder if someone here could answer a question for me. 3 weeks ago to the day I received my new Luminox 3001. I am thrilled with it and have wanted one for a long time. Anyway it never leaves my wrist. The last two days here in Ireland have been in the -10 degrees Celsius range though and this morning I had to jog 7 miles to work because of the bad weather. When I stopped I noticed that fog had built up on the inside of the crystal. I would not say droplets just a very very fine mist which dissipated very fast once I got indoors. Long story short I am wondering if I need to replace the watch. Waterproofing is important to me and its rated to 660m so I'm very happy about that.

At the moment I'm thinking its probably just atmosphere from the place of manufacture trapped in the watch being condensed due to the extreme cold. Would I be correct in this assumption.
    Any help and info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Barry.

Banned

Re: Luminox 3001 Fogging in Cold Weather

-10 degrees is not that cold.
    I think you should have the WR of the watch tested. If the WR is as stated, it may be a good idea to have a watchmaker open it, and let it dry.
    But to me it sounds like the WR is zero.

Quote Originally Posted by jiraiya View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I wonder if someone here could answer a question for me. 3 weeks ago to the day I received my new Luminox 3001. I am thrilled with it and have wanted one for a long time. Anyway it never leaves my wrist. The last two days here in Ireland have been in the -10 degrees Celsius range though and this morning I had to jog 7 miles to work because of the bad weather. When I stopped I noticed that fog had built up on the inside of the crystal. I would not say droplets just a very very fine mist which dissipated very fast once I got indoors. Long story short I am wondering if I need to replace the watch. Waterproofing is important to me and its rated to 660m so I'm very happy about that.

At the moment I'm thinking its probably just atmosphere from the place of manufacture trapped in the watch being condensed due to the extreme cold. Would I be correct in this assumption.
    Any help and info is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Barry.
    The watch should be replaced. It was either assembled in a high humidity environment ir the seals are bad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Sounds defective to me. I've worn watches with far less WR in far colder situations and have never had this issue.
    TAG Heuer Monaco LE|Omega Speedmaster|Seamaster 300MC|Rolex Submariner|Tudor Ranger

How did it get so late so soon?

Send it back for an exchange, I've had and abused several Luminox watches in humid/hot and very cold temps and never had this problem. Like already mentioned, the seals are bad or improperly installed from the factory.
    Buy the seller! "Trust but Verify" quote- Ronald Reagan....

Last time I had a watch doing that, it was coming back from the watchmaker and he had not tightened the case back properly and humidity was getting in the watch. Like others said, have it checked, it doesn't sound normal.
    ~ Daniel ~

There was an interesting thread over in the G-Shock Forum that would be worth a read. I was thinking about it as well, and it hit me that if the watch is a Luminox, it is a quartz watch and used batteries. There might not be anything wrong with your seals, but batteries might have been put in when the humidity was elevated. I doubt most mass produced outfits would bother doing something like that in an environmentally controlled, low humidity area. And depending upon where you bought it, like from a dealer for instance, they might have put a new battery in before giving it to you. You can probably get the humidity out yourself and I saw a DIY article on eHow that didn't look too bad. The main thing I would suggest is to lube the o-rings before you put it back together. If you search the forums, the right lubricant to use has been discussed before and you can get it from a local auto supply store. They use the same lubricant for something with the electrical system on autos. This is a step that they are unlikely to do if you ever take your watch to a store to replace the battery, but it is the lubricant that will keep your water resistance intact. A lot of people that have a battery replaced on a quartz watch don't realize this.

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

While I will always recommend having a watch pressure tested to make sure it was closed up properly, I do suspect that what you're noticing is that the watch was closed up in a humid environment and now that moisture condenses when the watch get's excessively cold. As others have mentioned you can open it up, dry it out and then close it properly. Grease the o-ring and pressure test the watch afterwards and you should be fine.

I've had the same thing happen with my colormark. It only happened once though, and like you said it was more like a fine mist, no droplets, so I wasn't that concerned. It happened in hot weather by the way (20+ C). I have taken my watch under water (no deeper than 5m yet), and it doesn't seem to get any moisture inside. I put my money on "watch assembled in humid environment". I have also decided to wear it until it breaks, so I'm not sending it back (I still have warranty too). If it does flood once I will just not be buying Luminox watches anymore, but I've kind of adapted that mindset to all my watches, so I don't know if that's acceptable to you.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks a million for all the great replies and apologies for my late reply, I had a problem with the net at home for the past week. Anyway I contacted the luminox service centre in the UK and the guy there was very informative. Long story short he said it might be a seal problem but since it was under warranty I would be better off to have it checked anyway so I sent it in. I should have it back in two weeks and I'll let you now how I get on. I don't anticipate any problems as I did alot of research on the watch before I bought it and from what military members like 2BattRanger and others on WUS and other various forums say they put theres throough I'm sure this is just a minor hick up on the assembly line or trapped humid atmosphere. I'll get back to ye and let ye know how it went when I get it back. Thanks again for the replies.
    Cheers,
    Barry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information