Made in UK vs .. in Great Britain: What are the conditions dictating the terms?
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Made in UK vs .. in Great Britain: What are the conditions dictating the terms?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Made in UK vs .. in Great Britain: What are the conditions dictating the terms?

I just saw a watch that had GREAT BRITAIN stamped on the dial.

And it got me wondering.
    (Go ahead, my British bros, think it all you want, I know you're already doing it: "Oh, has it now, you yank twit?" )

I even had to look it up actually, the difference between the two.
    Something about UK as a term that includes northern Ireland IF you had breakfast that does not include spam...
    While Great Britain pertains only to the major islands only on sunny days that include picnics and swearing.

WUT?

Anyway, so what name gets stamped if a watch is designed in London, then assembled in Dublin, with parts from Glasgow?
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Re: Made in UK vs .. in Great Britain: What are the conditions dictating the terms?

C, what we call a sunny day probably wouldn’t rate a mention in other parts of the world.

Re: Made in UK vs .. in Great Britain: What are the conditions dictating the terms?

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    C, what we call a sunny day probably wouldn’t rate a mention in other parts of the world.
    I hope, Gawd willing , to visit your cluster of charming islands, someday this lifetime, in good cheer, vim, and vigor.
    I did some cyber driving around, here and there, using google. Feels a lot like like Vermont and Maine to me.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This might clarify it for you.

Dublin, of course, is in the Republic of Ireland which isn’t in the U.K. or G.B. so any product assembled there might be marked Made in Eire (‘Made in the Republic of Ireland’ on a watch face would be too much text for the average WIS to stomach).

Name:  C079CDD7-7E41-4CEE-84FD-4F346E4343B7.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  251.6 KB

Of course this is today. Next year after our politicians have finished screwing around with us it might all be different
    G550 (retd.)

^
    That is helpful, but also truly confusing.
    So, it's not really a "united kingdom" then, with that bit still on its own?

Oh, and I forgot about Wales.
    So this meme was almost confusing.

Name:  WALES.png
Views: 45
Size:  719.2 KB

are the J and K equivalent versions?
    sticky likes this.

The united kingdom bit refers to the merger of the English and Scottish crowns in 1603. (Wales was a principality, not a kingdom). Great Britain is a geographical term, being the big bit plus one or two others, British Isles refers to everything including the Isle of Man. Blame the name on the French - it started with Bretagne.
    Chronopolis likes this.

Crikey. Maybe I opened a can of worms.

Now its more confusing than ever.
    Just some Q's floating around in my head: No need to answer.

Of what, exactly, is Elizabeth a queen?
    And the name of the Empire: Why "British" and not "English Empire"?

Etc.

PS: I was just wondering about what gets stamped on a dial, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    The united kingdom bit refers to the merger of the English and Scottish crowns in 1603. (Wales was a principality, not a kingdom). Great Britain is a geographical term, being the big bit plus one or two others, British Isles refers to everything including the Isle of Man. Blame the name on the French - it started with Bretagne.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Seventy View Post
    Now I’m Just trying to sort all this out , in summary I guess it’s ‘Blame it on the French!!’, judg69
    Peteworrall likes this.
    Life is short. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    . . .

Of what, exactly, is Elizabeth a queen?
    And the name of the Empire: Why "British" and not "English Empire"?

Etc.

PS: I was just wondering about what gets stamped on a dial, is all.
    I'm 'merican, so UK folks feel free to correct me:

Elizabeth is Queen of the UK, which means she is also Queen of England, part of the UK (per One-Seventy's mention of the Union of the Crowns & later the Treaty of Union & Acts of Union, which "United [the English & Scottish kingdoms] into One Kingdom by the Name of Great Britain").
    Thus, it follows that it is (or rather was) the British Empire because the rulers were the King/Queen of the UK.

As far as marking watches, my understanding is that right now the UK only requires country of origin labeling of some foods & textiles/clothing, otherwise it is voluntary. However, there are laws against misleading labeling, so any manufacturer would have to keep labeling in bounds (not sure whether any particular UK gov't agency enforces this like the FTC in the USA; see this 5-year old article: https://www.urbancottageindustries.c...n-marking-law/).
    Last edited by drunken-gmt-master; 1 Week Ago at 23:14. Reason: Added info.
    ------------------------------------

(Almost) every watch a tool watch.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information