The Madness of Ebay
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: The Madness of Ebay

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Madness of Ebay

I was looking at a brand new Tissot Seastar with an auto movement on eBay. At lunch time it had reached £140. I did a bit of research to find it is available for £595 from several sources. I put it on my watch list because on the off chance it stayed around the £200 mark I might put in a bid. Admittedly a tad ambitious, but you never know. It sold last night for £1020, yes £1020. Are people mad ?
    When I read about the evils of drinking I gave up reading

Re: The Madness of Ebay

They are, because they get carried away with “Auction frenzy” which I have experienced at art auctions in the past.

A strange phenomenon, that is easy to catch when in a room full of people vying for a piece, but not I feel when sitting looking at my eBay app!!

I just set my max bid, and then wait till the 15 sec mark and bang it in.

Win or lose I will not pay more than I think a watch is worth.
    " I am easily impressed by the best" - Winston Churchill.

"One cannot but admire the cold-bravery and enterprise of these Italians"
    Admiral Cunningham, referring to the frogmen of the M.A.S in WW2.

buyer soon realizes he/she can buy it almost half price from other retailers...he/she gonna take a negative feedback and not pay.....kakakaka....give it 3 days, that watch gonna get relisted..lol.
    ffritz and mumblypeg like this.
    Happiness is a long walk with a putter.
    Greg Norman

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Madness of Ebay

Probably not a real sale anyway. In my opinion, there is quite a bit of manipulation going on on eBay.
    normn likes this.

Ebay is great, quite happy with it for unloading non-expensive watches.
    Sold about 10 watches over the past 18 months and 9 of them sold on eBay within about a week.
    Prices ranged from a $60 Vostok to a $850 Seiko but all sold easily with immediate cash through Paypal. In addition, eBay gives me a $1 seller fee special offer quite often meaning I avoid the price gouging from them (Paypal fee unavoidable, though).
    There are a few Facebook watch selling groups I also put my watches on and all I seem to get are tire-kickers and low-ballers. You get a few of those on eBay too, but I politely decline them and sure enough, someone comes along soon after and accepts my asking price with no fuss.
    jenyang, Quantumleap and fish70 like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Quote Originally Posted by SundayDuffer View Post
    buyer soon realizes he/she can buy it almost half price from other retailers...he/she gonna take a negative feedback and not pay.....kakakaka....give it 3 days, that watch gonna get relisted..lol.
    ^^ This.

Look out for a thread like "How much would you pay for a Tissot Seastar?".
    Quantumleap likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthjade View Post
    Ebay is great, quite happy with it for unloading non-expensive watches.
    Sold about 10 watches over the past 18 months and 9 of them sold on eBay within about a week.
    Prices ranged from a $60 Vostok to a $850 Seiko but all sold easily with immediate cash through Paypal. In addition, eBay gives me a $1 seller fee special offer quite often meaning I avoid the price gouging from them (Paypal fee unavoidable, though).
    There are a few Facebook watch selling groups I also put my watches on and all I seem to get are tire-kickers and low-ballers. You get a few of those on eBay too, but I politely decline them and sure enough, someone comes along soon after and accepts my asking price with no fuss.
    How do you get only a $1 ebay fee? It gets pretty annoying paying that 10% ebay fee plus the 3% paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by lehippi View Post
    How do you get only a $1 ebay fee? It gets pretty annoying paying that 10% ebay fee plus the 3% paypal.
    I go to My Ebay > Selling > Overview
    At the bottom there is a "Selling Promotions" section.
    Most of the time when it hits midnight on Saturday I get a "Weekends Only: Pay $1.10 when you sell!" offer. I get 48 hours to list as many items as I can and if they sell at any time after that, eBay only charges me a $1.10 flat fee.
    Needless to say, I only list when that promotion comes up.

Don't ask me how to get it, I don't know. All I know is that it seems to pop up most (but not all) weekends for me. However, it didn't appear for most of September for me, so go figure.
    I do have an Australian eBay account, so maybe it's just an Aussie thing.
    lehippi, fish70 and Grimlock_1 like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour être heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Money laundering.

Quote Originally Posted by salustiano View Post
    Money laundering.
    For a thousand dollars? Yeah, right, that makes sense.
    fish70 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information