Magnetic Closure on Timex Box? (Timex American Documents Model)
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By MX793
  • 1 Post By NC_Hager626
  • 1 Post By appleb
  • 2 Post By John MS

Thread: Magnetic Closure on Timex Box? (Timex American Documents Model)

Magnetic Closure on Timex Box? (Timex American Documents Model)

I had been going through life thinking that my autos should stay as far away from natural magnets as possible, yet I just discovered that Timex is selling their "American Documents" watch in a box with a rare earth magnet inset on both panels. Is this safe for the watch?

Thanks!

Re: Magnetic Closure on Timex Box? (Timex American Documents Model)

I've seen a few Watchbox with magnetic closures. Magnetic field strength falls sharply over distance, so your watches will likely be far enough away from the magnet that the field strength won't be a problem... Probably... Pretty much any watch made in the past 60 years has some magnetic resistance (4800 A/m, or ~60 Gauss is industry standard magnetic resistance).

That said, I'd personally avoid watch storage that has magnets on it.
    watchcrank likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

If you google 'Magnetism & "Quartz Watch" ' you should come across something like:

"Quartz watches are less susceptible to magnetism in comparison to automatic and mechanical watches.
    This is due to fewer metallic or moving parts and the fact that the quartz doesn’t retain the magnetism unlike other types of movement.
    Also, the motor is found deep inside the core and most top pieces have a casing that is more resistant."

So I would say the small metal clasp on Timex's American Documents watchbox should have minimal effect on Timex's American Documents Watch. Plus, I would think that Timex would have thought this through with their quality assurance department before shipping their quartz watches out for retail.
    watchcrank likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Remove it.

I have a feeling whoever at Timex approved the usage of a box with a rare earth magnet closure had no idea how this would affect the watch inside.

Magnetism is an issue primarily with mechanicals because of possible magnetization of the mainspring. Quartz is generally safer around magnets because it doesn't have a mainspring.

In this Omega video at 20:48, you can see how a simple magnetic clasp from a handbag is enough to affect a movement.
    Robmks likes this.

I don't think I would lose any sleep over this.....
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I could not find mention of the cherry wood case having rare earth magnets on the Timex website. Only an inlaid magnetic closure. Does anyone have a reference? As mentioned it is a quartz watch movement so I'm sure someone at Timex thought this through. I would imagine placement and size of the magnets as well as the anti-magnetic properties of modern watches would minimize the risk if it had a mechanical movment.

Attractive design. A mechanical movement pushing that sub-seconds hand would be a nice addition.
    rfortson and NC_Hager626 like this.

As magnetic fields fall off fairly quickly over a very short distance I can’t imagine that it will be a problem.

A quartz movement works on magnetism; just try to clean the steel particles off a rotor sometime. The rest of the pieces in the movement are resistant to magnetism so they can handle the local fields (which are very close to the works compared to a magnet outside the case).

A mechanical on the other hand, has a very fine steel alloy hairspring that likes to stick to its other coils when magnetized. Even so, they can withstand a field of about 100 gauss without damage.

I'm sure the timex engineers took this into account when designing the box.
    I love the smell of carbamide in the morning, it smells like VICTORY.
    That ain't a double, I just like to stutter.
    Hack a wife's watch, keep her happy for a week, teach her to hack her own watch, keep her happy for life!

Thread Information