Magnetic fields
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Magnetic fields

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Magnetic fields

Hi all! Iíve read up on the effects of magnetic fields around automatic watches but I was looking for more real world experience from an expert. Iím a machinist by trade, Iím not really around strong magnetic fields much but in the process of metal on metal sometimes a piece will become mildly magnetized. Not very strong but still there. Will this affect my automatic watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Magnetic fields

Does your shop have a demagnetizer? If not don't worry. Just sayin.
    As a side note I worked in Sterile Processing for 6 years we had 2 demagnetizers for ss instruments only occasionally did we use them.
    Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    Mikefable likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    Does your shop have a demagnetizer? If not don't worry. Just sayin.
    As a side note I worked in Sterile Processing for 6 years we had 2 demagnetizers for ss instruments only occasionally did we use them.
    No we donít, thank you for the response! Itís much appreciated!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefable View Post
    Hi all! I’ve read up on the effects of magnetic fields around automatic watches but I was looking for more real world experience from an expert. I’m a machinist by trade, I’m not really around strong magnetic fields much but in the process of metal on metal sometimes a piece will become mildly magnetized. Not very strong but still there. Will this affect my automatic watch?

Aren't the endmills, lathes, etc powered by electric motors? Those give off a magnetic field.

Practically all watches made in the past 30 years can resist low level fields (typical refrigerator magnet strength). Lightly magnetized chips aren't apt to have an effect.
    Rocket1991 likes this.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefable View Post
    Hi all! I’ve read up on the effects of magnetic fields around automatic watches but I was looking for more real world experience from an expert. I’m a machinist by trade, I’m not really around strong magnetic fields much but in the process of metal on metal sometimes a piece will become mildly magnetized. Not very strong but still there. Will this affect my automatic watch?
    I did a bit of real world experimenting some time ago:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/mag...t-4828973.html

Generally, mechanical watches don't magnetize that easily. If yours are magnetized is easy to check with a compass. The magnetic fields most prone to affect a movement are those from small, hidden neodymium magnets with strong, constant fields hidden in electronic devices, etc., near to which the watch may accidentally spend longer time (= hours..days..). Short exposure or AC current electromagnetic fields are no problem at all usually.
    B79, Slm643 and Nokie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ffritz View Post
    I did a bit of real world experimenting some time ago:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/mag...t-4828973.html

Generally, mechanical watches don't magnetize that easily. If yours are magnetized is easy to check with a compass. The magnetic fields most prone to affect a movement are those from small, hidden neodymium magnets with strong, constant fields hidden in electronic devices, etc., near to which the watch may accidentally spend longer time (= hours..days..). Short exposure or AC current electromagnetic fields are no problem at all usually.
    Great thread and good read on the subject. Very educational.

Regardless of the anti-magnetic capabilities of modern luxury mechanical watches, I would recommend a quartz/solar beater like a G-Shock if you're working around machinery.
    Mikefable likes this.
    the five stages of a watch flipper
    infatuation
    appropriation acquisition justification resale

It is a myth that a magnetic field does not affect quartz watches. A strong magnetic field can affect the electric motors that drive the watch hands. The effect usually only lasts when the watch is exposed to the field. Some quartz watches even come with warnings to avoid strong magnetic fields. If it's a watch with a built-in (electronic) compass, even a mild magnetic field will affect the compass function.

Also, I took 2 years of "machine shop" in high school 71-72, I don't remember being stationary to long, I was also away from the motor most of the time, I would be more concerned about banging the watch on the equipment, reaching for hand tools and such, than it getting magnetized.. I would like to see how much the shop environment has changed in 35-40 years though.

I can’t see a machine shop environment being any more magnety than every day life so you’re probably fine. If you still have concerns find a friend with a compass and check your watch now and again. If it does show as magnetised you can get a demagnetiser off the Bay dirt cheap.
    ffritz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information