Magnetic money clips and mechanical/autos

Thread: Magnetic money clips and mechanical/autos

Magnetic money clips and mechanical/autos

I should probably post this in the Watchmaking section, but thought I'd ask the Public forum first.

I've been searching for years for the perfect wallet; just like everyone on this forum who buys, then flips watches in search for the "just right" watch, for many years I bought wallet after wallet after wallet. Some were too small, most were too big (think George Costanza's), and all were wrong for one reason or another.

A couple of years ago, I found what seemed to be the perfect wallet for me-- minimal profile, just large enough to carry essential cards. It also included a strong magnetic money clip to help keep my cash organized in a slim way. This isn't quite the same version that I bought, but it's pretty close:

http://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=15-529|Level=2-3|pageid=3878

So this year, I've discovered the great joys of mechanical and automatic watches, and am enjoying immensely all that I've learned from the experts on these boards. However, the nagging worry that I've got is that I'm going to now have to give up my "just right" wallet because I'm worried about the magnetic money clip causing havoc with the movements.

Am I being unduly worried about the likelihood of magnetization of the movements? Do I have to return to my years-long quest for a new "perfect" wallet? Or, is it pretty unlikely that my wallet will cause a problem?
    Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Re: Magnetic money clips and mechanical/autos

I wouldn't want any sort of magnet around my watch. I don't sit them on stereo receivers or TV sets or computers, either. It's like playing with fire in my opinion.

Does no one on this forum use a magnetic money clip then?
    Current: Rolex Datejust; Omega Speedmaster Professional; Seiko Sumo; Casio GW-M5600; MkII Vantage; Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You shouldnt have any problems unless the magnet is close to the watch,very powerful and large.

I doubt you'll have any problems.

And if you do, it would be very simple to de-magnetize your watch with the magnet in your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by HilltopMichael View Post
    I doubt you'll have any problems.

And if you do, it would be very simple to de-magnetize your watch with the magnet in your wallet.

I didn't know I could do this myself?

How would I do this if I thought it had been magnetized?

Thread Information