Magnetised and only 12-15 secs fast?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rachdanon

Thread: Magnetised and only 12-15 secs fast?

Magnetised and only 12-15 secs fast?

I sent my month old titanio Pam305 (with the P9000 movement) in for servicing because it was running 12-15 sec fast per day. During the first week it was running 1-2 sec slow then it sped up. Boutique called to say the watch was magnetised. They demagnetized it and now keeps good time. I'm going to collect it tomorrow.

The only way I could have magnetised it was by moving it near my bag with magnets in the opening flap when assessing the contents of the bag. Is it that easy to magnetise? Also, from reading others experience with magnetised watches, I gathered they sped up much more like minutes or at least much faster than 12-15 secs per day....was the boutiques diagnosis right?

I'm concerned I got smoked and when I get it back it's still the same watch running fast which they considered still as "good time" ....
    Tag Heuer Carerra (cv2010) on racing strap ; Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m (rubber bezel) on rubber strap ; Pam 305 Bosphorus leather strap; AP Diver 15710 on bracelet

Re: Magnetised and only 12-15 secs fast?

If you took it back to the AD you bought it from, they would have no benefit in lying to you about it. And, magnetized has many shades of grey - it could have been very lightly magnetized, causing a minor error. Or, you can give your watch an MRI and have it suffer extreme magnetism.

If you get it back and you're still fast by the same deviation, I'd let them know immediately, but maybe not fret - did you buy it new? Or is it just new to you? I don't believe the p9000 is manufacturer adjusted, and might need some time/use to settle in.
    Last edited by CADstraps; May 6th, 2014 at 18:36.
    Influence is like the wind...

Watch it for a week and see if it still runs fast.

Easy to take and and have demagnetized if that is the issue.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watches can get slightly magnetized. Even little things like magnetic iPad cases have done it to watches before. 12 second is definitely plausible.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rachdanon View Post
    ....was the boutiques diagnosis right?....
    I guess you'll be able to tell us after you get it back and observe it for a while. If all they did was demagnetize it and it's keeping good time, sounds like it was. I think I've read watchmaker 'Archer' mention in his posts that a magnetized watch may 'only' run 15 secs fast.

Quote Originally Posted by CADstraps View Post
    If you took it back to the AD you bought it from, they would have no benefit in lying to you about it. And, magnetized has many shades of grey - it could have been very lightly magnetized, causing a minor error. Or, you can give your watch an MRI and have it suffer extreme magnetism.

If you get it back and you're still fast by the same deviation, I'd let them know immediately, but maybe not fret - did you buy it new? Or is it just new to you? I don't believe the p9000 is manufacturer adjusted, and might need some time/use to settle in.
    Its new when I bought it from a grey dealer( trustworthy guy) who got it from a Switzerland AD. Just curious what does manufacturer adjusted entail? Thought all watches are adjusted, the p9000 has a cert that says all the deviations in all 6 positions and how it meets their -6/+8 requirement with some nifty formula etc.

Grateful for all the helpful and kind advices from the rest too. I'll report back.

PS: <deleted, confused static electricity with magnetism>
    Last edited by Rachdanon; May 7th, 2014 at 07:21.

As promised, reporting back to close this case and for the benefit of those who might be interested.Apparently the watch was magnetised because its keeping very good time indeed now. Speeding up 1 to 2 seconds during the day and dial up during the night loses about the same back, so now more than 24 hrs after I set the time yesterday its spot on. Very happy indeed....now to keep away from magnets!
    Dark_K likes this.
    Tag Heuer Carerra (cv2010) on racing strap ; Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500m (rubber bezel) on rubber strap ; Pam 305 Bosphorus leather strap; AP Diver 15710 on bracelet

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Thanks for the follow-up!

Good to hear! Beware of IPad's covers, their magnets are stronger than one thinks, you can hang and swing the IPad holding the cover in your hand.

Thread Information