Magnetism: Orient Ray vs. Mido OSC

Thread: Magnetism: Orient Ray vs. Mido OSC

Magnetism: Orient Ray vs. Mido OSC

I was traveling with my Orient Ray a few years ago and it got magnetized. It started gaining 4-5 minutes/day. I had take time out of my trip to find a watchmaker (in a foreign country) so I could get it de-magnetized. That was inconvenient and it also dented my confidence in my mechanical watches.

I don't know how it got magnetized but I have a guess. I have an Apple laptop with MagSafe and I probably left the watch near the MagSafe cable or the port overnight. (I'm not sure if the magnet for the connector is on the cable, or the port, or both.)

Anyway, since then I've been a bit paranoid about exposing my watch to magnetic fields.

I have a Mido Ocean Star Captain V en route and am wondering if it will be any more or less susceptible to magnetic fields vs. the Orient Ray. If it's much less likely to be magnetized, then I can stop worrying about it, which would be nice. Any thoughts on the subject are appreciated!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Magnetism: Orient Ray vs. Mido OSC

Both are anti-magnetic to 4800 A/m, see ISO 764.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Stay away from high-voltage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Cool, thank you, this is exactly the sort of information I've been trying to look up. How do you know that both watches conform to this spec? Is there a list somewhere? Also, presumably, the standard means that both watches are anti-magnetic to at LEAST that much, but possibly more? Is there any way to tell how much they exceed the standard? Thanks for any info.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Watches have to conform to the specs and usually do not exeed the specification. Watches up to 80.000 A/m (IWC, Rolex, Damasko to name just three) play in another league.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; November 21st, 2017 at 23:34.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Watches have to conform to the specs and usually do not exeed the specification. Watches up to 80.000 A/m (IWC, Rolex, Damasko to name just three) play in another league.
    Oh interesting. I didn't realize that watches (presumably we are talking about ones that are sold in the US) must conform to certain standards/specifications. Are there others, besides anti-magnetism? What's the regulatory body that enforces these standards?

Looks like 4800 A/m is equal to 0.006 tesla = 6 millitesla = 6000 microtesla.

I downloaded a phone app that measures magnetic fields. I don't know how accurate it is but it's pretty fun to play around with. Here's what I found:

Ambient magnetic field: ~45 uTesla where I am
    Refrigerator magnet: app starts beeping (> 200 uTesla) about two inches from the magnet. With the phone touching the magnet, the reading is ~2000 uTesla
    My bookshelf speakers: app starts beeping ~6 inches from the front baffle and reads ~2500 uTesla when very close to the baffle
    My small portable Bluetooth speaker: app reads 100-150 uTesla when touching most parts of the speaker, and 250 when touching in a specific place
    MacBook MagSafe connector: app starts beeping ~1 inch from the connector and reads 5000+ uTesla when touching the connector
    Left-hand edge of an iPad (where the Smart Cover attaches): beeping starts ~1 inch away, ~4200 uTesla when touching
    Right-hand edge of an iPad: ~300 uTesla

So it seems like you would probably want to stay a couple (1-2) inches away from a laptop's MagSafe port, the left-hand side of an iPad, and larger speakers.

After messing around with this, yeah, I figure I probably did magnetize my watch by leaving it close to the MagSafe port overnight. That does seem to have the strongest magnetic field of anything in my house. Good news is that it's very localized though, and keeping a watch more than 1-2 inches away from the port should be inconsequential.

Thread Information