Magnetized watch spontaneously de-magnetized?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Magnetized watch spontaneously de-magnetized?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Magnetized watch spontaneously de-magnetized?

My "gateway" watch was an Invicta 8926 that was COSC accurate that suddenly stopped. I actually posted here for explanation/solution to no avail.

Anyway, I stuck it in a drawer and forgot about it. I recently found it again and to my surprise, it started "ticking" albeit with less than stellar accuracy that it used to have.

Since my Invicta days, I have learned a great deal about watches from this very forum. Thinking back, I believe my watch was magnetized. I used to have an old school clock radio and I used to place my watch near (and sometimes on) before I went to bed. I think the clock radio had unshielded speaker.

My question is can a magnetized watch somehow get de-magnetized? Does the magnetism somehow dissipate with time?

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Magnetized watch spontaneously de-magnetized?

Metals do not become demagnetized through the passage of time.

I suggest your initial diagnoses was incorrect....
    familiaritas parit contemptum; raritate admiratione wins.- Lucius Apuleius
    est necessry, accurate ad secundo? - Lysander magna
    iustum est horologium - Obscurus Genius

Thanks for the explanation. But can a magnetism, perhaps not completely dissipate, but become weaker over time? My magnetized tip screwdrivers seem to get less "sticky" over time, hence the question.

Well, my Invicta works now but I was hoping to get it to where it was without opening it up or sending it out.

I read somewhere that the tag deactivation pad in department stores can be used to de-magnetize a watch. Does that sound right?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. But can a magnetism, perhaps not completely dissipate, but become weaker over time? My magnetized tip screwdrivers seem to get less "sticky" over time, hence the question.

Well, my Invicta works now but I was hoping to get it to where it was without opening it up or sending it out.

I read somewhere that the tag deactivation pad in department stores can be used to de-magnetize a watch. Does that sound right?
    How did you determine the watch was magnetized earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    How did you determine the watch was magnetized earlier?

I didn't. It was an educated guess based on the circumstances. My watch was never dropped and working fine before going to bed. I woke up and the watch was dead in the water, stopped cold -- winding, shaking, nothing "woke" it up. Considering the watch was placed near an unshielded speaker, the most likely cause, I thought, was that it got magnetized and the movement locked up.

It has been a couple of years and the same "dead" watch is working again, I was wondering if magnetized watch can get de-magnetized some what.
    Last edited by RNHC; May 13th, 2014 at 20:00.

I think that Lysander's response was correct. Your initial diagnosis may well have been wrong. Magnets do loose some of their power over time. Hence the use of keepers on them and why your magnetic screwdriver tips seemed less "sticky" after some time.

Thanks for all the replies. So what I gather is that if my watch was magnetized, with the passage of time, it can become less so but still magnetized and will always be magnetized. I guess I will research and try DIY way to de-magnetize to see if that will make my watch the way it was.

Good to know.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

I haven't read of a watch that was so magnetized that nothing worked. The balance wheel and seconds hand didn't budge at all. Not to say it couldn't happen but it would be unusual. Usually magnetized watches run but minutes per hour fast. Overbanking of the escapement from being dropped comes to mind. Anyway, glad it is running again.
    Last edited by John MS; May 14th, 2014 at 01:46.

Quote Originally Posted by John MS View Post
    I haven't read of a watch that was so magnetized that nothing worked.
    Really? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that severely magnetized watch can stop due to seized "innards." Anyway, thank you for your sentiment. I am glad it's running again as well. I know it's "only" Invicta but it got me started in the whole watch journey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information