Mako date vs Mako day/date?

Thread: Mako date vs Mako day/date?

Mako date vs Mako day/date?

Which do people prefer? I just found out that there were two versions, very similar. The date only is water resistant to 100m, the day/date to 200m. They look a bit different:

Orient 2er00002d and OrientCem65002d
    and
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

Re: Mako date vs Mako day/date?

I think it is strictly a style choice: a matter of which one speaks to you. When you see folks singing the praises of the Orient "Mako" here, they are usually refering to the watch on the right and it's various colored bretheren (black dial, and also a Pepsi bezel version). The watch on the left is usually called the Orient Sub, or the "baby Mako" (although I can't find reference to that last name on WUS by anyone but me).

I like them both, but while I like day/date watches, I prefer the bezel on the sub and I'm not crazy about pushers on my watches. I own the black sub, but won't rule out getting the Mako in the future. Just from annecdotal evidence, I'm guessing more folks here own the Mako than the sub, but I have no real way of knowing by how much, or even if that is true. It seemed when I first started reading here (summer '07), there were scores of posts every week singing the Mako's praises. That has died off quite a bit.

Rick

Inactive

I own the CEM65002D, the blue Mako. Great watch, especially for the price. Dig around for pictures to get a better impression of the blue dial, which is exceptionally attractive. The bracelet is nice, the watch is comfortable to wear, the bezel feels solid and it's hard to find a 200M diver of equivalent quality for $100.

Personally, I like the day/date and despise the fish eye date magnifier. Either of those factors would be enough to make me pass on the 2ER00002D. You can't go wrong with an Orient, though. Everyone here seems to love them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the info. I guess a better title would have been "mako vs sub" had I known! I am going to pick up one or the other soon, probably on ebay-- seems to be the best prices. Anyone know a good dealer for these?
    Regards.

Current Rotation: breitling cockpit -oris TT1 date black -seiko skx781 "orange monster" -seiko snm035 "landmonster" -citizen Promaster Titanium Eco-Drive 300m BJ8041-09E "ecozilla" -citizen ecodrive professional titanium BN0016-55L, blue dial "orca" -getat 44mm sterile rose gold luminor-style manual wind -getat 44mm sterile PVD orange "numbrels" manual wind --invictas: 8926c,8928ob,3712, 6410, 6024, 6924, 6926, 6927

Quote Originally Posted by srmdalt View Post
    I am going to pick up one or the other soon, probably on ebay-- seems to be the best prices. Anyone know a good dealer for these?
    No doubt ebay has the best prices. I picked mine up from Island Watch, an authorized Orient dealer and WUS sponsor: http://www.longislandwatch.com/ , and they and Marc (owner) have excellent feedback in the forums. He runs sales every so often and I think he may give a WUS member discount as well. I like buying from an AD when possible in case there are shipping or warranty issues. If you go ebay, I would find out the status of any warranties, if any.

Rick

Thanks cedarman, I'll check out Island Watch.
    Regards.

Thread Information