Man. A new watch will scratch up faster than you can say bananas. Even when pampering it.
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Man. A new watch will scratch up faster than you can say bananas. Even when pampering it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Man. A new watch will scratch up faster than you can say bananas. Even when pampering it.

Don't take a flashlight to the bezel of your 1st full-day-worn shiny watch.

Oh gawd the horror.

(yes I will try to get over it)

A+U

Re: Man. A new watch will scratch up faster than you can say bananas. Even when pampering it.

agreed!

Re: Man. A new watch will scratch up faster than you can say bananas. Even when pampering it.

I've learned to live with scratches, and have gotten to the point where I've decided not to have my watches polished during service, as it removes metal from the case and will eventually result in the removal of the case's sharp edges and make it look like something else (deformed). After a while, old watches start to look nicer with the patina and the scratches. The way I see it, the scratches are badges that your watch is actually a tool to be used and enjoyed, and not some safe queen which you obsessively pamper to death. Once you stop worrying about scratches, you begin to actually enjoy your watch, instead of feeling as if wearing your watch is a chore.

PS: I'm not saying a watch case should never be restored...but it would have to be seriously scratched to the point that the watch case really needs a touch to put life back into it. But I really wouldn't worry much about it until then. After all, a few scratches will not affect the watch function, accuracy, etc.
    Last edited by American Eagle; January 3rd, 2013 at 09:54.
    Hamilton Khaki King
    Hamilton Thin-O-Matic
    Omega Speedmaster
    Rado Diastar
    Seiko 007
    Seiko 5 Military
    Vostok Amphibia

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by American Eagle View Post
    I've learned to live with scratches, and have gotten to the point where I've decided not to have my watches polished during service, as it removes metal from the case and will eventually result in the removal of the case's sharp edges and make it look like something else (deformed). After a while, old watches start to look nicer with the patina and the scratches. The way I see it, the scratches are badges that your watch is actually a tool to be used and enjoyed, and not some safe queen which you obsessively pamper to death. Once you stop worrying about scratches, you begin to actually enjoy your watch, instead of feeling as if wearing your watch is a chore.

PS: I'm not saying a watch case should never be restored...but it would have to be seriously scratched to the point that the watch case really needs a touch to put life back into it. But I really wouldn't worry much about it until then. After all, a few scratches will not affect the watch function, accuracy, etc.
    Yeah, you're right. Even the best worn and well intentionally kept Parmigiani and Audemars still seem to have their own ginsu knife cuts here and there. Maybe a showroom quality piece on the wrist is a little too gaudy after all. It might actually look 'fake'.

Too perfect.
    scottjc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wish2K View Post
    Maybe a showroom quality piece on the wrist is a little too gaudy after all.
    Though more likely, the average person isn't going to pay that much attention.

Banned

Flashlight plus loupe for full-bore anxiety.

I must be too careful, I just don't have a problem with scratches on watches or crystals. Or maybe I'm not looking close enough...

Sodiac
    Too many watches, only two wrists and never enough time...

That is very 'Zen' Aeagle. Now if I can remember to practice that philosophy with my new pvd black unit when it arrives.

Inactive

Name:  worthless.gif
Views: 533
Size:  41.6 KB

Banned

i figured this out a while back... the more conscious I am about the watch the more i scratch it... the less attention i pay to it, the less i scratch it or hit it against stuff... odd but works.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information