Managed to Scratch my new Zenith Immediatly
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Managed to Scratch my new Zenith Immediatly

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Managed to Scratch my new Zenith Immediatly

I just bought an elite power reserve this past weekend. The first day I wore it to work the bezel got scratched on my backpack buckle. I never owned a watch this nice so I'm pretty upset about it. Is there any safe way I could get a scratch like this out myself? I'm living in Hong Kong and I'm not aware of any watchmakers or jewelers I would trust with it. The scratch looks like a pin scraped against it leaving a hair size scratch. its deep enough to catch my fingernail if i run it across. Anyone have a suggestion on how to get it out safely?

Name:  tK44Pgt.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  617.6 KB

Re: Managed to Scratch my new Zenith Immediatly

It's hard to tell from the picture. You could try a cape cod cloth since it's a polished spot.
    Bernhardt Binnacle Anchor | Bernhardt Corsair (Sword Hands) | Hamilton Khaki Field Chronograph | HMT​ Pilot | Seiko Sarb017 Alpinist | Seiko SKX Orange Monster (Double Domed Sapphire)

Cape cod may do the job.

Personally id leave it. Yeah it sucks because it is brand new and you want it to be perfect but you'll get more scratches (it's just part of life) and these will be easier to live with already having that scratch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yeah relax and just enjoy the beautiful watch.

I'd echo to leave it as is. You'll get many many many more over time which can then be removed come service time. I would try to avoid the habit of using a cape cod cloth with every little scratch. It's hard, but try to enjoy the watch and not worry about small scratches. Congrats on the Zenith by the way. It's a beauty.

Leave it, as someone already said there will be many more. Once it comes time for its first service have it polished n buffed. Don't let it take away the enjoyment of owning the watch. These are portable time keeping devices that go on your body. I accept such things are bound to get dinged and scratched. It is true as well, the first one if the hardest to accept.

I agree that it should be left alone. It's a polished case so it will happen more as you continue to wear it. Let the scratches tell a story of how you wore it.

@thehoracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar_917 View Post
    Cape cod may do the job.

Personally id leave it. Yeah it sucks because it is brand new and you want it to be perfect but you'll get more scratches (it's just part of life) and these will be easier to live with already having that scratch.
    +1 Just my thoughts:

-Find a trusted jeweller/watchmaker to do a proper job of removing the scratch for you. I've never tried removing scratches myself, so if I were you I would bring it to someone who should be more experienced than me to work in it.

-But then after that, do you plan to wear the watch regularly, but don't want it scratched? If you wear it regularly, it will get scratched again. If you want to wear it regularly but don't want it scratched (or at least scratched that badly), I suggest buying a cheaper watch, practice wearing it for some time (at least months, probably at least a year is better) while trying to avoid getting it scratched badly. Then after you've learned watch-wearing-while-minimizing-scratches-kung-fu, you're ready to wear the Zenith while minimizing scratches.

-Second option is, to heck with that, and just wear the watch. Given enough time, that deep scratch won't look so bad after it's joined by other scratches. Then when the watch needs servicing, pay to get all the scratches removed/lessened (I think some deep dents or scratches could be lessened by polishing, but if they are really deep, they can't be completely removed without taking off too much material?) or restore to like-new condition then. (Though companies like Rolex could make scratched-up watches look just like new? That must be heck of a good job restoring watches.) I guess unless you do it yourself, it doesn't make sense to get each scratch removed one at a time.
    Lord Monocle and BigSeikoFan like this.

You'll probably get a ton other more scratches in the future and you can't possibly be polishing every other time.
    Just live with it till your 1st service in 5yrs then it'll come back to you as good as new.
    Suds likes this.
    ROLEX Datejust 36mm Blueberry;
    ROLEX Pepsi GMT-Master 16700 (Circa 1987);
    ZENITH El Primero 36'000 VPH Tri-Color;
    SEIKO Prospex Solar Tuna SBDN026 (1981/3000)

Considerations:
    AUDEMARS PIGUET Royal Oak 15450
    A.LANGE & SOHNE Saxonia Thin 37mm

Instagram: Horodiziac

Leave it alone and enjoy the watch. When it goes in for servicing in the distant future, they will take care of it.
    ​More watches, more problems.

Currently:
    Out of time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information