Manual Dress Watch for Wedding Gift
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Manual Dress Watch for Wedding Gift

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Manual Dress Watch for Wedding Gift

Hi All,

I, for whatever reason, have never noticed this public forum and was hoping I'd find better luck with a post in this forum.

I am looking for a gold watch (18k), roman numerals, leather band, manual movement, exhibition back. Yes that is basically a Patek Philippe Calatrava, but I can't afford that.

My budget is between 1k and 3k (if it is over $3,000 then I need to be able to negotiate below $3,000).

As I said, the Patek Philippe Calatrava is sorta my inspiration for what I am looking for, but I'm open to other things if it meets most of my criteria.

I also read that buying a watch in the 1k-3k budget isn't exactly the best use of money towards a watch and that it is better to either look below 1k or well above 3k. In the end I'd say it really just comes down to what I like and what I'm comfortable spending my money on. I can't afford anything near a real Patek, but would like to add a piece to keep and pass down that may cost between 1k and 3k.

I am currently most involved with this watch - Longines | L4.787.8.11.0 | Moyer Fine Jewelers

I currently own a Tissot Le Locle (SS bracelet) for my every day wear watch.

Thank you for the help!

Vancouver Island / California (depending on the citizenship I use)

Re: Manual Dress Watch for Wedding Gift

Nomos used to make the Ludwig in gold. Not sure if they do anymore. But you might find one pre-owned for your price range. (just checked - the yellow gold version is advertised for WAY over $3000 on Chrono24) If you can forego the 18k requirement, the Stainless version every other feature you want. For around $2000, brand new.

Name:  NomosLudwig2.gif
Views: 416
Size:  169.3 KB

For less than $3000, I'm not sure you'll be able to find a solid gold watch (that isn't vintage). Likely they'll be plated. Not sure if that matters too much to you. But, if this is supposed to be a piece you'll pass down, I might steer clear. gold plating has a tendency to rub off. Stainless steel always looks good.
    Last edited by TheWalrus; May 13th, 2014 at 20:00.
    npulaski likes this.
    Daily Rotation:
    Seiko
    "Save the Ocean" Turtle; Tudor Black Bay; DOXA 1000T Project Aware (75/92); Seiko SKX013; Garmin Descent; Tissot PRS200

If you get that Longines Longines La Grande Classique in 18K within your price range, I would say go for it. Another option is the Longines Flagship Heritage, but the time only version in 18K appears to have been discontinued. Also have a look at the Tissot T-Gold collection.

If I may be honest, given your budget, I would get a watch in stainless steel instead. The price of gold being what it is, your budget doesn't leave much room in the price for a nice mechanical movement. The Zenith Heritage Port Royal in 18K with the Elite movement was briefly on sale during the Christmas season last year for $4K on Ashford, but that was like 64% off the MSRP, and is a price that I haven't seen repeated in recent months.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

At this time, I don't think you will find a nice watch in solid 18K gold for $3k or less. Gold plated, sure, solid, no.
    And if you do happen to find one, grab it right away. I would start looking at used pieces if having a solid gold case is the primary consideration.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Does the Zenith Ultra Thin manual wind model come in gold?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
    Does the Zenith Ultra Thin manual wind model come in gold?
    Yes.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchNRolla View Post
    That's a gold tone watch, which I understand to mean that it's not even gold plated, just gold colored.

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    That's a gold tone watch, which I understand to mean that it's not even gold plated, just gold colored.
    Yup, that's correct.

If you go up in price, FC offers 18 kt Rose Gold.

Frederique Constant Slim Line Automatic Silver Dial Mens Watch 306V4STZ9

Thank you for all of the replies!

I take it the Nomos watches only come with blue hands? At first I didn't realize why I ruled it out and then I saw another picture. I think I'll still consider it and try to see it in person, but blue hands on a dress watch don't really scream dress watch to me. I do like it though and it has that exhibition back, etc.

Thank you for the opinions on the gold. As I know I do like the look stainless steel, what type of watches in SS are available in my price range?

Thank you!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information