Manual vs Auto....for an occasional watch
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Manual vs Auto....for an occasional watch

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

MANUAL vs AUTO.
    if a watch will get less wrist time, just weekends and some casual evenings. lets say in total twice a week or so. is it better (for the watch) to get a manual or an automatic. No winder and won't be winding it regularly. Would wind only before wearing it. So basically it might sit 'asleep' for 3-4 days a week. Manual vs auto in such a situation?
    Seiko 5 Sports SRPB31k1
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer 500m Calibre 16

Baume et Mercier Hampton Chrono
    Rolex Oyster Datejust S/S
    Seiko 5 SNZF29
    Alpina Extreme Avalanche - Manual
    Raymond Weil Parsifal

Re: Manual vs Auto....for an occasional watch

i think auto would be more convenient in this case...
    -Mic

Rotation: Ω Speedmaster 3572.50, Ω SMP 2254.50, Garmin Forerunner 920XT...

Next:
    something dressy, can't decide...

I'd go hand wind for occasional use.
    BusyTimmy and brummyjon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, handwind seems the appropriate choice, because autos are going to run down. But good hand-winds are hard to find, in general, or should I say that there are just more autos out there. So go for a hand-wind, or an auto that can also handwind--like anything with an ETA 2824, or anything with most Sea-Gull movements. Some of the newer Orients and Seikos also handwind.
    CCCP likes this.

- Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Current collection:
    Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (in red!) | Oris Artix Date | Glycine Airman DC-4 GMT | Christopher Ward C60 600 White Trident | Poljot Journey Chronograph | Bernhardt Corsair GMT | Nth Naken Renegade | Hamilton Jazzmaster Square | Citizen Grand Classic | Kronaby Apex | Seiko Save-the-Ocean Samurai | Prometheus Jellyfish Yellow | Spinnaker Bradner | Heimdallr Bronze Turtle (6309 Homage) | Seiko SSC509 Solar World Time Quartz Chronograph | Undone Modern Chrono | Bulova UHF Military 96B229 | Raketa "Big Zero" |

Quote Originally Posted by Perdendosi View Post
    Well, handwind seems the appropriate choice, because autos are going to run down. But good hand-winds are hard to find, in general, or should I say that there are just more autos out there. So go for a hand-wind, or an auto that can also handwind--like anything with an ETA 2824, or anything with most Sea-Gull movements. Some of the newer Orients and Seikos also handwind.
    +1. Hand-wind. No date.
    brummyjon and NT931 like this.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

Makes no difference whatsoever. The watches don't care.
    Rick

Incoming: Heuer Autavia 'Siffert'

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Manual or Automatic... doesn't make any difference in my mind, as long as it (if you get an automatic) can be hand wound so you can give it a good charge after it has run down each time.

In my opinion (if it's for occasional use), the biggest hassle will be re-setting the complications each time. At most, get something with date only, but ideally a 'no-complication' watch would be best so you can simply wind it, set the time, and be on your way. Something like an Omega Speedmaster Professional would be perfect.
    Last edited by BrentYYC; January 9th, 2013 at 20:34.

If you're not going to be winding it in the interim even if it's a manual, then it doesn't matter. Complications are the real issue. Make sure it's no-date or has quick-set date.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional (311.30.42.30.01.005) * Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra >15,000 Gauss (231.10.42.21.01.002)
    Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso Grande Taille (270.84.10) * TAG Heuer Aquaracer 500M ceramic (WAK2110) * Poljot OKEAH Chronograph

Agreed, it doesn't matter much since either way you have to set the time. Automatic might be better because then you just need to give it a shake to get it started up again.

I ordered an MK II Nassau for a very similar wear pattern as you've described, and I think a no-date automatic like that is the way to go.

If you're not using a winder it doesn't really matter. I'd keep the complications at a minimum if you aren't wearing it daily or using a winder.

I have a Longines Master Collection Moonphase Chronograph and it's a real bear to set all of them (6 complications in total) when I decide to wear it for the day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information