Manual wind + Power Reserve
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By Orex
  • 2 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 1 Post By CitizenM

Thread: Manual wind + Power Reserve

Manual wind + Power Reserve

All - seeking for recommendations for a manual wind watch w/ power reserve indicator - I'm looking for something in the $1000-1500 price range, and don't mind getting it second hand. A collection that recently caught my eyes was the Eberhard & Co. 8 Jours line. Do you guys have anything to say about this specific model? What other models would you suggest?

Re: Manual wind + Power Reserve

For a new watch on that price range, try Royal Orient:
    Name:  20120203_b9e634.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  32.6 KBName:  20120203_2f2d49.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  58.9 KB

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The 8jours (8days) is fitted with a modified Peseux 7001. Eberhard’s modification is based on a special winding device. Its spring is more than 1,5 meters long, whereas a standard wristwatch has only one spring that measures perhaps 30 cm long. There are two combined, overlapping springs contained in two different-sized barrels. The larger spring contains the longer spring and is positioned over the smaller barrel which contains the second spring. When the watch is wound, the upper spring coils around itself and drags along the second spring which is then also wound.
    That makes the Eberhard somehow special.
    There are 7001 watches out there with a normal power reserve, the Louis Erard, ref. 53209, Nomos Tangente Gangreserve,
    Limes Pharo Power Reserve, Steinhart Aviation Power Reserve, come to my mind.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Add Epos and Sandoz to the Peseux 7001 variant powered watches with power reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    The 8jours (8days) is fitted with a modified Peseux 7001. Eberhard’s modification is based on a special winding device. Its spring is more than 1,5 meters long, whereas a standard wristwatch has only one spring that measures perhaps 30 cm long. There are two combined, overlapping springs contained in two different-sized barrels. The larger spring contains the longer spring and is positioned over the smaller barrel which contains the second spring. When the watch is wound, the upper spring coils around itself and drags along the second spring which is then also wound.
    That makes the Eberhard somehow special.
    There are 7001 watches out there with a normal power reserve, the Louis Erard, ref. 53209, Nomos Tangente Gangreserve,
    Limes Pharo Power Reserve, Steinhart Aviation Power Reserve, come to my mind.
    Great suggestions. From the models I knew about, and the ones that were suggested, the Eberhard is still my favorite - the longer power reserve actually adds a lot to this. I like the Nomos too - though I think it's a bit out of the price range.

My main concern/point where I feel I need to educate myself more is the brand. I honestly never heard of Eberhard before finding out about this watch. Have you ever had any experience with the brand? How does it stand in terms of quality, history, etc?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I owned the Traversetolo which has become a hallmark for Eberhard & Co., as well as the Chrono 4 and the Tazio Nuvolari Chrono. The 8jour is another remarkable hallmark.

The company was founded in 1865 and was created by George Emile Eberhard. He was born in Saint Imier/CH to a watch maker father. His father taught him what he needed to know and in 1887 Eberhard founded his company, those times known as Manufacture d’Horologie Eberhard & Co., established in La Chaux de Fonds.
    In 1919, Maurice and Georges, the sons of the founder took over and started with wrist watches with straps. They were known for using 18K gold as a symbol of high quality and a guarantee of brilliance and impeccable taste. By 1926, the brothers had full control of the Maison and they envision a more progressive future for the brand. Of course, they were also intent of keeping the heritage, tradition and brilliance of the company that the world has been accustomed to. Ever since, the company has opened doors to modern horology, venturing to new techniques and innovations. In 1938 the first chrono was launched. In 1947, after the war, the company has resumed its business once again and from then on they were known for combining new technologies and traditional watchmaking and, of course, craftmanship.
    Whilst Eberhard & Co. Isn't very well known in the US they are very famous in Italy, Switzerland and Austria. When thinking about the Traversetolo I once owned I regret having sold the little beauty.
    Perdendosi and alx007 like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

All good stuff here, although I tend to think the Nomos Tangente Gangreserve is the prettiest. To cut costs on it, try to get it without the date. Still a little over budget, but maybe you can work something out.
    BusyTimmy likes this.

Thread Information