WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Manual winding did not engage in ETA 2824 movement?

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Watchbreath 
#1 ·
On my Steinhart Ocean 1, after i finished setting my date and pushed it back to the first position right before screwing the crown in, I wanted to wind my watch a little before screwing the crown in. However when i started winding it, nothing happened and it was just smooth without any resistance from the winding mechanism. However after pulling the crown back out and pushing it back into the same position, the winding mechanism activated.

Does anyone know why or how this happened?

#2 · (Edited)
This is most likely one of those "I really hope it's not broke but something I am doing wrong or..." More times than not its broke and asking a bunch or strangers on the Internet for their opinions will not change the fact that it's broke. Ok that's probably the bad news. The good news is that any watchmaker with an iota of skill can work on a 2824. If it's not under warranty I'd take it in to have a professional evaluation done. Even if it is, it may be worth it to you to still take it to a local guy vs sending it back to Germany. Either way don't delay and "live with it" by stroking the crown in and out to get it to engage, you could make a $50 repair into a full overhaul or something equally disastrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
This is most likely one of those "I really hope it's not broke but something I am doing wrong or..." More times than not its broke and asking a bunch or strangers on the Internet for their opinions will not change the fact that it's broke. Ok that's probably the bad news. The good news is that any watchmaker with an iota of skill can work on a 2824. If it's not under warranty I'd take it in to have a professional evaluation done. Even if it is, it may be worth it to you to still take it to a local guy vs sending it back to Germany. Either way don't delay and "live with it" by stroking the crown in and out to get it to engage, you could make a $50 repair into a full overhaul or something equally disastrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! I've taken your advice in getting it checked out. However, I've decided to email Steinhart rather than bringing in to a local watch dealer. I've had my Ocean 1 for half a year and even if it would take a longer time, i prefer it to be checked out by the dealer themselves in case of any complications.

#3 ·
Hello! thanks for Posting...it's always a good idea to see what others think. My thought at this moment is that a single screw may be loose: there's a lever that engages the winding stem that the crown's screwed on to...if the screw ( that is located on the movement, near to the stem, and very simple to access ) that holds this lever in place should loosen, the stem would not be able to engage it properly,thus, poor/ no winding or setting...indeed, the entire stem could well fall out! If this is your problem, it's VERY minor...if you're lucky, the screw will be properly tightened, & you're OK...otherwise, the movement will have to come out, and the hands and dial removed, so that the necessary relationship between the stem and this lever can be re-established...once again, an easy piece of work...watches are my hobby,and I've done this many times. I would hope a (good / honest...!) watch shop could do this very easily...if it's just a loose screw, perhaps, while you wait! Good luck.

#6 ·
I've said it time and time again regarding the ETA 2824 keyless works - they're fragile, prone to breakage, and I never recommend hand winding them. If you want an automatic with keyless works which are more robust, stick with Citizen-Miyota or Seiko.

#10 ·
If the rotor spins at all while hand winding a 2824, it's time for a service. The oscillating weight is perfectly capable of winding the watch. Maybe a couple turns to kick-start it, but anyone who winds them fully via the crown every single time they wear it is just asking for trouble.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.