Manually winding watch?

Thread: Manually winding watch?

Manually winding watch?

Since I only have one automatic watch, I can't be bothered to spend the money for a watch winder yet. However, I don't wear it very often (maybe only once or twice a week). Therefore, I manually wind the watch by turning the crown every night on the nights I don't wear it. Will this damage the watch by winding it manually so many times? Am I better off buying a watch winder?
    Last edited by jermyzy; March 17th, 2008 at 09:09.
    Just starting my watch collection...

Mine:
    Oris 581 7592 40 51 (Artelier Complication)
    Zenith 03.0516.685 (Defy Classic Power Reserve Elite)
    Zenith 03.1260.4039 (Chronomaster Open Grande Date XXT)
    Zodiac Astrographic 2000
    Victorinox 241425 (Dive Master 500 Mechanical)
    Stowa Flieger Baumuster B with 215-1 handwind
    Glashutte Original 1-36-01-01-02-01 (Senator Excellence)
    Zenith 95.9000.670/78.M9000 (Defy Classic Openworked)
    Zenith 01.0500.420 (El Primero HW)
    Tudor 91210N (North Flag)

Wife:
    Perrelet A2038/1 (Diamond Flower)
    Oris 561 7604 40 94 (Artelier Date Diamonds)
    Zenith 03.1220.6801 (Baby Open Heart)

Re: Manually winding watch?

Good question and deserving of a candid answer. no. they are made to be wound. It won't require your watch to need a early service. you are doing everything right with your watch. the spring needs to wind down often, not be kept tight all of the time. about a winder. They do serve a purpose if you have the right type. one that cycles on and off every hour keeps the spring tight and defeats the purpose of a winder. a good winder should give the watch a 18 hour resting period every 24 hours.

Similar question - I just ordered an automatic. If I wind it manually every once in a while, since I won't wear it every day and don't plan to get a winder, will it harm the watch if it just sits there unwound most of the time?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not really, but it is best for mechanical movements to keep moving. That way the oils dont start to gunk up or collect in one place... though this isn't as big a problem as it was decades ago.

Just give your watch a good shake once in a while.

an automatic can sit with no ill effects. the new oils are synthetic. and don't ever shake a watch! you can swirl it in a gentle motion but grabbing it and shaking it will kill your watch! just pick it up once a month and put a full wind on it. that will distribute the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jermyzy View Post
    Since I only have one automatic watch, I can't be bothered to spend the money for a watch winder yet. However, I don't wear it very often (maybe only once or twice a week). Therefore, I manually wind the watch by turning the crown every night on the nights I don't wear it. Will this damage the watch by winding it manually so many times? Am I better off buying a watch winder?
    This is a good question and you brought up one that I had.
    I also have or am buying automatic watches and with so many watches I might not be able to wear them all the time. My question is, when I manually wind these which way does the crown go? In a forward up position or downwards? Basically, what's the proper way of winding an automatic watch?

Thread Information