Marathon service dramas.
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Marathon service dramas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marathon service dramas.

Hi, just wanted to gauge, has anyone had issues with service from Marathon watch? I love my JSAR, best watch I've ever had but I sent my watch back to get a new battery and some spring bars. Seven weeks later, I have not even been contacted with an update. I've emailed but trying to get one back is like blood from a stone.

drt

Re: Marathon service dramas.

Where are you located and how did you send it?,

I sent my TSAR in for new tritium tubes because possession of the things is restricted. I was told to send it registered mail only, declared value of $50, writing "defective timepiece returned for repair," all of that so that they wouldn't be charged duty, and to make sure not to write the word "watch" anywhere on the package (as in, "Marathon Watch Co.") They said they wouldn't accept any package requiring duty. I don't know what happens to the watch if duty is required but not paid. I know they got it via tracking but they said it would take 6-8 weeks for them to get to it. I only sent it two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for the return receipt.

They also asked me for purchase source, issue date and serial number, presumably to check that it was legally sold to the public, and wanted me to include their email when I returned the watch, sort of like an RMA. Fortunately I still had the paperwork.

Also, I'm wondering why you didn't get the battery changed by a local watchmaker with a pressure test and ordered the spring bars from a third party who sells them.

I believe Marathon is mainly a government contractor and is not thrilled about providing services to individuals. I read it somewhere but can't remember the source. It's better to use one of the folks in the US who specialize in Marathon service. But in my case, the only other choice I had was to buy another watch, which I'd do because I love the thing to bits. I'm not pushing the panic button yet, of course, but I am second-guessing myself on that one. We'll see how it goes.

An observation that may be a bit too political - what the hell was the point of NAFTA (or the preceding "Free Trade Agreement" between the US and Canada) if I have to jump through these sorts of hoops to send a watch from the US to Canada for repair? It seems the treaty didn't help the ordinary person at all.

I'd be interested in hearing other people's stories.

EDIT: I should add that Marathon responded promptly to all my emails, and of course the shipping and customs restrictions are not their fault. BTW, they specifically and in CAPITAL LETTERS warned me NOT TO USE UPS OR FEDEX because of the shafting they give you on customs brokerage fees. For good reason. I ordered a watch from Canada, and they - not Marathon, someone else - stupidly sent it UPS. UPS wanted $40.00 even though no duty had been charged. NO CASH, NO DEBIT, NO CREDIT, CHECK ONLY, PERIOD. I had to go home to get the checkbook. No more international UPS.
    Last edited by drt; May 16th, 2014 at 17:08. Reason: Every time I stop to admire my own prose, I see another typo.
    Cheers, David
    --
    Bow your heads for the WIS prayer:
    I'm a WIS
    But I can change
    If I have to
    Oh, who am I kidding?

That's terrible. Business cannot afford to leave customers in the dark like that. Hire someone for minimum wage to respond to email and voicemail if everyone else is too busy. It leaves a sour taste in your mouth.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I always had great CS from Marathon. I deal directly with the head office and David, as always been good with me. Great communication, calls me on my cell when watch is ready, sent me two Navigator bezel for free, fixed a stripped crown tube on a watch out of warranty, again for free.... This is what I'm use to with Marathon. What you are describing here is not what I have experienced with the company.

I would pick up the phone and call. Who knows, maybe your email are going into their spam box or something? Where do you live?

Because every thread needs pictures ; )

hidden by leaves likes this.
    ~ Daniel ~

drt

Thanks, Daniel. It's good to have some firsthand confirmation of good customer service from them. As I said, what I wrote was simply hearsay.
    Cheers, David
    --
    I'm a WIS
    But I can change
    If I have to
    Oh, who am I kidding?

That is strange as they responded promptly when I had a service question with mine, and I have also heard other forum members speak of their excellent customer service, so hopefully you can get this resolved sooner than later. I would contact them again until you actually get to visit with someone from their company.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.mead View Post
    Hi, just wanted to gauge, has anyone had issues with service from Marathon watch? I love my JSAR, best watch I've ever had but I sent my watch back to get a new battery and some spring bars. Seven weeks later, I have not even been contacted with an update. I've emailed but trying to get one back is like blood from a stone.
    Do you have confirmation from the shipping company(Fedex, UPS, etc) that they received the watch?
    If not you probably have an insurance claim to initiate.
    If they received the watch then give them a call by phone.

Forgive me, I should have said. My watch has arrived at marathon, they have had it since April 1st. I had the same conditions as above in sending it and I was sending from New Zealand, that didn't bother me so much though. It's the delayed response, or lack of any response at all when I've asked for an update. All of my dealings have been with Jenny and emails have been short in temperament and content. I LOVE the product but the service is really starting to get on my wick. I'm currently shopping for a new brand, just as tough where I won't find these issues. Daniel's contact from above might be worth getting hold of because I need my faith restored.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie.mead View Post
    Forgive me, I should have said. My watch has arrived at marathon, they have had it since April 1st. I had the same conditions as above in sending it and I was sending from New Zealand, that didn't bother me so much though. It's the delayed response, or lack of any response at all when I've asked for an update. All of my dealings have been with Jenny and emails have been short in temperament and content. I LOVE the product but the service is really starting to get on my wick. I'm currently shopping for a new brand, just as tough where I won't find these issues. Daniel's contact from above might be worth getting hold of because I need my faith restored.
    Let us know how it goes. Hopefully you get your confidence restored with the brand. They are great watches.
    ~ Daniel ~

drt

Jenny at Marathon just wrote me to say they got the watch and they'll let me know when it's ready, so their communication is good so far. She did quote a time of 6-8 weeks so I won't complain if it's not ready sooner.

You're right that she's not chatty but that may be part cultural. In my experience Canadians seem a bit less chatty and a bit more formal in business correspondence than Americans usually are, so that doesn't worry me. I don't know how things compare to NZ.
    Cheers, David
    --
    I'm a WIS
    But I can change
    If I have to
    Oh, who am I kidding?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information